Manganese Speeds Up Honey Bees - Low Dose Mn Increases DA In Bees

paymanz

Manganese speeds up honey bees | The Source | Washington University in St. Louis

“We’ve known for a long time that high doses of manganese kill neurons that produce dopamine, causing a Parkinsonian-like disease in people,” said Ben-Shahar, an assistant professor of biology in Arts & Sciences. “In insects, as well, high levels of manganese kill dopaminergic neurons, reducing levels of dopamine in the brain.

“But in this study we were looking at low-level exposure and we saw the opposite effect. Instead of reducing dopamine levels, manganese increased them. Increases in dopamine and related neurotransmitters probably explain some of the abnormal behavior,” Ben-Shahar said.

Negative impact of manganese on honeybee foraging

Our studies support a model in which Mn2+ treatment leads to an early transition to foraging by increasing brain aminergic signalling, which is in agreement with previous studies of biogenic amines in honeybees [19]. However, our findings are also in contrast to previous studies in mammals [18] and Drosophila [21], which indicated that Mn2+ exposure leads to dopaminergic neuronal loss, and overall reduced levels of dopamine in the brain. We do not yet understand the main reason for the differences between our current findings and previous reports. Noteworthy, the Mn2+ doses we have used in our studies were far below previously reported neurotoxic levels [21]. As a result, these previously published data together with our current findings suggest that the interaction of Mn2+ with biogenic amine signalling and behaviour comprises two phases: exposure to low Mn2+ levels leads to an increase in biogenic amine synthesis but, once above the neurotoxic threshold, it leads to a reduction in biogenic amine levels.

As in the honeybee, we found that ingestion of 5 mM Mn2+ by Drosophila caused an increase in brain levels of octopamine and dopamine, but not serotonin.

Peater Piper

Huh. I've suspected most people are manganese deficient. It's critical for insulin signaling and is probably depleted faster by a high carbohydrate diet. The tolerable upper limit would be very hard to reach with food unless consuming copious amounts of pineapple, but maybe the upper limit is set too high?

OP
P

paymanz

Huh. I've suspected most people are manganese deficient. It's critical for insulin signaling and is probably depleted faster by a high carbohydrate diet. The tolerable upper limit would be very hard to reach with food unless consuming copious amounts of pineapple, but maybe the upper limit is set too high?
i dont think the upper limit is too high!
the upper limit is not that accurate they havent spend much on this subject.its more on workers of Mn mines and inhaled dust.the absorption rate of Mn is very low.specially phytate affects it a lot.some studies on human show minimum requirement for positive balance is 3.5 mg.while some of us hardly reach daily value of 2mg.and also people rely on whole grain and nuts as a source but as i said manganese is one of the most sensitive minerals to phytates.unlike copper which have low tendency to bind phytates.

thyrulian

i dont think the upper limit is too high!
the upper limit is not that accurate they havent spend much on this subject.its more on workers of Mn mines and inhaled dust.the absorption rate of Mn is very low.specially phytate affects it a lot.some studies on human show minimum requirement for positive balance is 3.5 mg.while some of us hardly reach daily value of 2mg.and also people rely on whole grain and nuts as a source but as i said manganese is one of the most sensitive minerals to phytates.unlike copper which have low tendency to bind phytates.
Interesting, thanks!

BibleBeliever

Manganese

"In one set of studies, supplemental calcium (500 mg/day) slightly decreased manganese bioavailability in healthy adults. As a source of calcium, milk had the least effect, while calcium carbonate and calcium phosphate had the greatest effect"

Eggshell powder regular usage then would greatly decrease biovailability of manganese. Phosphorous found in meats is touted to do the same. A Peat diet that is especially high in calcium would then lower it even more. Magnesium apparently inhibits some of its absorption too.

I have also read that sweating greatly decrease manganese.

Ginger powder is a simple, great source. A root, that is anti-serotonin and 5 grams contains 70% of your daily manganese.

Luann

Think the upper limit is 11 mg when you start to see side effects of Mn. Although some people online report taking like 50 mg every few days or maybe every day and not having problems. I wouldn't do it though.

Most people probably are deficient in manganese. One website said that an adult woman needs 1.3 mg a day, then later said that a human loses about 4 mg a day and should get that same amount through food for their health. It's like, which is it! About 4 or 5 mg is probably good for most people but federal guidelines will not tell you that.

Ooh cool everything is center aligned now.

D

Deleted member 5487

Think the upper limit is 11 mg when you start to see side effects of Mn. Although some people online report taking like 50 mg every few days or maybe every day and not having problems. I wouldn't do it though.

Most people probably are deficient in manganese. One website said that an adult woman needs 1.3 mg a day, then later said that a human loses about 4 mg a day and should get that same amount through food for their health. It's like, which is it! About 4 or 5 mg is probably good for most people but federal guidelines will not tell you that.

Ooh cool everything is center aligned now.
website name>?