Manganese Competes Directly With Iron For Absorption

natedawggh

This study showed that manganese directly competes with Iron absorption and is dose dependent. The way I understand this seems to mean if 2mg of manganese is competing with 3mg of iron, the manganese will allow only 1mg of iron to be absorbed. Zinc, on the other hand, only tends to reduce the tendency of iron absorption but doesn't inhibit like manganese. So if manganese content is larger, no iron will be absorbed. A high manganese food is maple syrup. Which may explain why I sneak gulps of it when no one is looking.

Competitive inhibition of iron absorption by manganese and zinc in humans. - PubMed - NCBI

I don think manganese supplements are the same as whole food sources of manganese, and would hesitate to see anyone take it in supplement form, as manganese is also a neurotoxin, despite being an essential element.

Last edited:

thyrulian

Manganese for me means instant anxiety relief.

Wasn't there something about inhibiting dopamine reuptake?

I know it can combat many of iron's deleterious effects (perhaps while bringing some of its own).

Edit: Hehe, right there in the similar threads. :P

B

Braveheart

This study showed that manganese directly competes with Iron absorption and is dose dependent. The way I understand this seems to mean if 2mg of manganese is competing with 3mg of iron, the manganese will allow only 1mg of iron to be absorbed. Zinc, on the other hand, only tends to reduce the tendency of iron absorption but doesn't inhibit like manganese. So if manganese content is larger, no iron will be absorbed. A high manganese food is maple syrup. Which may explain why I sneak gulps of it when no one is looking.

Competitive inhibition of iron absorption by manganese and zinc in humans. - PubMed - NCBI

I don think manganese supplements are the same as whole food sources of manganese, and would hesitate to see anyone take it in supplement form, as manganese is also a neurotoxin, despite being an essential element.
thank you for this

moringa

go to amazon or other supplement websites, type in manganese in their search bar, and read the comments/reviews of the manganese products... you might be surprised

L

lollipop

go to amazon or other supplement websites, type in manganese in their search bar, and read the comments/reviews of the manganese products... you might be surprised
Hi @moringa I did read reviews of 6 products on Amazon. Why would I be surprised? That people got good results from manganese supplementation? Thank you for clarifying and helping me understand.

PhilParma

Important information on the safety of manganese:

disclaimer: the above video is funny but not actually important

edit: bah can I not post a youtube video with a timestamp? Whatever, at 5:20 **** Gregory starts foaming at the mouth about the conspiracy of manganese poisoning.

Carry on everyone.

LLight

@moringa @Lollipop2

I'm not sure if this is just me but I'm not able to find a single manganese supplement with either amazon search or google.
Has Amazon stopped selling them?

Lollipop2

@moringa @Lollipop2

I'm not sure if this is just me but I'm not able to find a single manganese supplement with either amazon search or google.
Has Amazon stopped selling them?
Strange I get many options when I checked on Amazon. I screenshot 3 that showed up for me:

3185A8C2-5D4A-4244-BA8C-F324AA14E1AB.png

LLight

Indeed, that's strange.
Here are my first results on Amazon.com
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230113-220821__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20230113-220821__01.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 11

redsun

According to that video above, **** Gregory says manganese will turn you into a murderer. o_O
Chronic manganese toxicity will make you more neurotic and easily overwhelmed and in the right circumstances (environment you grew up in, emotional triggers) you could become physically violent.

cremes

Chronic manganese toxicity will make you more neurotic and easily overwhelmed and in the right circumstances (environment you grew up in, emotional triggers) you could become physically violent.
It was funnier when he said it. ;)