Manganese Competes Directly With Iron For Absorption

natedawggh

This study showed that manganese directly competes with Iron absorption and is dose dependent. The way I understand this seems to mean if 2mg of manganese is competing with 3mg of iron, the manganese will allow only 1mg of iron to be absorbed. Zinc, on the other hand, only tends to reduce the tendency of iron absorption but doesn't inhibit like manganese. So if manganese content is larger, no iron will be absorbed. A high manganese food is maple syrup. Which may explain why I sneak gulps of it when no one is looking.

Competitive inhibition of iron absorption by manganese and zinc in humans. - PubMed - NCBI

I don think manganese supplements are the same as whole food sources of manganese, and would hesitate to see anyone take it in supplement form, as manganese is also a neurotoxin, despite being an essential element.

Last edited:

thyrulian

Manganese for me means instant anxiety relief.

Wasn't there something about inhibiting dopamine reuptake?

I know it can combat many of iron's deleterious effects (perhaps while bringing some of its own).

Edit: Hehe, right there in the similar threads. :P

bzmazu

This study showed that manganese directly competes with Iron absorption and is dose dependent. The way I understand this seems to mean if 2mg of manganese is competing with 3mg of iron, the manganese will allow only 1mg of iron to be absorbed. Zinc, on the other hand, only tends to reduce the tendency of iron absorption but doesn't inhibit like manganese. So if manganese content is larger, no iron will be absorbed. A high manganese food is maple syrup. Which may explain why I sneak gulps of it when no one is looking.

Competitive inhibition of iron absorption by manganese and zinc in humans. - PubMed - NCBI

I don think manganese supplements are the same as whole food sources of manganese, and would hesitate to see anyone take it in supplement form, as manganese is also a neurotoxin, despite being an essential element.
thank you for this

moringa

go to amazon or other supplement websites, type in manganese in their search bar, and read the comments/reviews of the manganese products... you might be surprised

L

lollipop

go to amazon or other supplement websites, type in manganese in their search bar, and read the comments/reviews of the manganese products... you might be surprised
Hi @moringa I did read reviews of 6 products on Amazon. Why would I be surprised? That people got good results from manganese supplementation? Thank you for clarifying and helping me understand.

PhilParma

Important information on the safety of manganese:

disclaimer: the above video is funny but not actually important

edit: bah can I not post a youtube video with a timestamp? Whatever, at 5:20 **** Gregory starts foaming at the mouth about the conspiracy of manganese poisoning.

Carry on everyone.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Mabey Give Manganese a Try Ask For Help or Advice 8
R J Manganese Foods For Dog Diet, Recipes 9
P Sour Tea(Hibiscus) As A Great Source Of Manganese Articles & Scientific Studies 4
M Food Sources For Manganese, Boron, Molybdenum And Selenium? Ask For Help or Advice 11
M Hair Loss / Dermatitis / Eczema And Copper/ Manganese / Chromium Skin 10
Vinero Manganese Promotes Bacterial Growth, Zinc Cures Scientific Studies 4
Amazoniac Manganese And Its Unimportance In Health Minerals 83
dilantinoid Maple Syrup (manganese?) Abolishes My Tardive Dyskinesia, Stimulants Mental Issues 0
Tenacity Iron, Manganese, Pectus Excavatum And Acne Minerals 1
P The Relationship Between Serum Level Of Manganese And Severity Of Coronary Atherosclerosis Articles & Scientific Studies 18
P Iron Decreases Adiponectin - Phlebotomy(blood Donation),Manganese,zinc,vitamin D Increasing It Articles & Scientific Studies 0
P Manganese Mimics Insulin Articles & Scientific Studies 9
P [Influence Of Manganese On The Level Of Glycogen And Its Fractions In Organism Tissues] Articles & Scientific Studies 7
Tenacity Manganese And Its Scarcity Minerals 42
P Manganese Speeds Up Honey Bees - Low Dose Mn Increases DA In Bees Articles & Scientific Studies 7
P Battles With Iron: Manganese In Oxidative Stress Protection Articles & Scientific Studies 1
P Vitamin D3 Transactivates The Zinc And Manganese Transporter SLC30A10 Via The Vitamin D Receptor Articles & Scientific Studies 0
P [Interrelationship Between Manganese, Vitamin B1 And The Level Of Pyruvic Acid] Articles & Scientific Studies 18
R Pineapple For Manganese? Minerals 8
Parsifal How To Get Enough Manganese And Folates? Minerals 8
P Taurine normalizes blood levels and urinary loss of selenium, chromium, and manganese in rats chroni Scientific Studies 3
sweetly What are some good Peat sources of manganese? Minerals 16
P Manganese Supplementation Improves Mineral Density Of The Spine And Femur And Serum Osteocalcin In R Articles & Scientific Studies 12
F Peat Approved Sources Of Manganese Minerals 37
P Maple Syrup. Manganese! Minerals 16
chris Mussels For Manganese? Minerals 3
fabiomln Vitamin C Competes With Sugar C 6
livesimply Available EBooks Directly From Ray Peat Book Recommendations 0
haidut Estrogen Directly Causes Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Scientific Studies 23
H DHEA Suppresses Longitudinal Bone Growth By Acting Directly At Growth Plate Through Estrogen Recepto DHEA 7
haidut Progesterone May Bind And Deactivate Endotoxin (LPS) Directly Scientific Studies 14
yerrag Odd: My Serum Creatinine Directly Correlated To Serum Albumin Blood Work, Labs 1
haidut Cortisol (stress) Directly Causes Depression Scientific Studies 25
burtlancast Alfred Sommer: The Risk Of Child Death Is Directly Related To The Risk Of Vit A Deficiency A 11
Lokzo Testosterone Directly Influences Penile Tissue Structure And Function (2018) Scientific Studies 1
vulture Glucocorticoids Inhibit Gonadotropin-releasing Hormone By Acting Directly At The Hypothalamic Level Scientific Studies 3
johnwester130 Spirituality Directly Connects To The Thyroid Gland Society 12
haidut PUFA Is Directly Catabolic (without Cortisol/estrogen), SFA Is Anabolic Scientific Studies 5
haidut Glycine Is Directly Anabolic AND Anticatabolic For The Muscle Scientific Studies 44
Mr. God of Cars DHEA Suppresses Longitudinal Bone Growth By Acting Directly At Growth Plate Through Estrogen Recepto Scientific Studies 0
Mossy Estrogen-mediated Brain Protection Directly Linked To Intake Of Fatty Acids Found In Oils Scientific Studies 7
RedLightMan Red Light Exposure Directly To Male's Testes Increases Testosterone/Fertility Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 34
haidut DHEA, In Low Doses, Directly Inhibits Cortisol Synthesis Scientific Studies 12
E OJ -- but "Not Directly Related To RP" 'cause, well.... Miscellaneous Health Discussions 9
haidut Vitamin K2 Directly Inhibits New Estrogen Synthesis Scientific Studies 33
haidut The Effects Of EMF On Health - It Directly Harms Metabolism Toxins, Detoxification 14