Manganese And Its Unimportance In Health

P

PointOutside

"With the postulated role for Mn in chondroitin sulfate synthesis it is possible to see why Mn deficiency may cause problems in connective tissue synthesis. What develops then are disease of osteochondrosis such as Osgood Slatter disease and Perthes disease. At the Brain Bio Center we have had good results in treating these patients with zinc, Mn and vitamin B6."

Somewhat interested because I have Osgood-Schlatter disease. Gonna have to try eating more Mn.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Am I glad to see this thread! I have been eating an entire pineapple a day for quiet some time which I believe is 8.6 mgs - my androgens do feel high doing but I am not sure if I am doing damage

Is there any key signs to look out for ? I am not sure if I am eating too much - most of the symptoms I have not experienced like for example I don't have any anxiety or asthma - but my sense of smell is strong and occasionally my fingernails bleed a little bit after eating pineapple - it's very slight but I suspected it was because pineapple was inflammatory

Does the sense of smell become sensitive when this occurs ? I notice I can smell just about anything from about 10 feet away @Amazoniac @aliml
Elite, it's a safe amount, the concerns with intoxication are from alternative routes of intake for bypassing the gut and when elimination is impaired (as in bile stasis).

I would focus on pineapple quality if you're consuming one a day, they can't be irritating. Dietary happiness is another aspect to consider:
- A Serum Tonic Factor In Foods (With Special Attention To Its Presence In Pineapfels)

LLight

However, despite better diet quality and supplementation, ME/CFS group showed lower intracellular Vitamin B3 and manganese (Mn) (86.3 ± 2.42 and 53.6 ± 2.81 respectively) but higher calcium (Ca) (57.5 ± 3.55) as compared to HC (97.2 ± 2.31, 64.5 ± 1.87 and 46.5 ± 0.96 respectively).

A comment on Twitter:
The Ron Davis reseach group reported low hair manganese recently. This study seems to confirm that this is indeed due to low body levels of manganese.

Manganese could be unimportant for CFS too.

Supplement is on its way.

@Callmestar Could be interesting to you. I'm pretty sure manganese could be involved in water homeostasis too.

artist

The better absorption from human milk than from bovine milk or soy-based formula may be related to the decreased concentration of Mn in human milk or the increased binding of Mn in human milk to lactoferrin,
Based on this do we reckon supplementing (apo)lactoferrin would help absorb manganese and reduce its theft by pathogens?

LLight

This study shows that boron could help with cells (liver at least, in rats) manganese uptake.

When boron consumption was increased, mnSOD mRNA increased in the liver, serum manganese decreased and antioxidant capacity of blood increased.

LLight

I wonder then whether boron and manganese could be a good stack for those wanting to increase their androgens (who doesn't). Boron is already praised for that but some get weird feelings taking it, like too much agressiveness (is it only due to testosterone?).

Could manganese smooth the rough edges of boron? Could it increase the antioxidative capacity while boron increases the production of steroids which means some additional oxidative stress?

Highlights

• Excessive ROS production leads to oxidative damage to DNA, proteins and lipids.

• Mitochondrial SOD2 protects cells against mitochondria-generated ROS toxicity.

• SOD2-deficiency leads to excessive ROS production and oxidative stress.

• Knockdown of SOD2 inhibits hormone-stimulated granulosa cell steroidogenesis.

SOD2 deficiency attenuates the expression of StAR and key steroidogenic genes.

LLight

Not sure if it's placebo, a coincidence or just a false feeling, but I have the impression that my posture is better when I take manganese.

I have thought for a long time that good posture is primarily a function of the energy you have. I think I have more energy/motivation with manganese.

Manganese is linked to parkinson, but it's thought to feature toxicity.

LLight

Also, I've seen a study showing that manganese could upregulate AQP4 in astrocytes.

AQP4 is thought to participate in the glymphatic system that allows cleansing of brain's metabolic wastes/proteins.

joaquin

Also, I've seen a study showing that manganese could upregulate AQP4 in astrocytes.

AQP4 is thought to participate in the glymphatic system that allows cleansing of brain's metabolic wastes/proteins.
I'm going to try getting it from grape juice first. I wonder if commercial grape juice, which is usually from concentrate, is as good as non-concentrate?

LLight

I'm going to try getting it from grape juice first. I wonder if commercial grape juice, which is usually from concentrate, is as good as non-concentrate?
Good question, I have to admit I don't know how concentrate is made and thus how it impacts nutrients density.

Ben.

Lyme seems to utilize manganese instead of iron. I wonder if such a infection could cause a deficiency and implicate the need for supplementation or if it would be contra-indicated. I remember in a thread with haidut in it that Claritin ( a allergy medication) prevents manganese entrance into pathogens but unfortunately also in hosts.

I react realy well to boron, lithium and to some degree to copper (which is chronicly low along with vit d) supplementation and potassium.
Balancing trace minerals is realy annyoing when its most likely not diet messing it up but infections and damaged digestive systems. The reactions of even low doses of these is remarkable. Vitamins dont even hold a candle to them in my case if i were to rate them based on how they make me feel.

I might try manganese to see if there is a reaction.

A manganese-rich environment supports superoxide dismutase activity in a Lyme disease pathogen, Borrelia burgdorferi
The Lyme disease pathogen Borrelia burgdorferi represents a novel organism in which to study metalloprotein biology in that this spirochete has uniquely evolved with no requirement for iron. Not only is iron low, but we show here that B. burgdorferi has the capacity to accumulate remarkably high levels of manganese. This high manganese is necessary to activate the SodA superoxide dismutase (SOD) essential for virulence. Using a metalloproteomic approach, we demonstrate that a bulk of B. burgdorferi SodA directly associates with manganese, and a smaller pool of inactive enzyme accumulates as apoprotein. Other metalloproteins may have similarly adapted to using manganese as co-factor, including the BB0366 aminopeptidase. Whereas B. burgdorferi SodA has evolved in a manganese-rich, iron-poor environment, the opposite is true for Mn-SODs of organisms such as Escherichia coli and bakers' yeast. These Mn-SODs still capture manganese in an iron-rich cell, and we tested whether the same is true for Borrelia SodA. When expressed in the iron-rich mitochondria of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, B. burgdorferi SodA was inactive. Activity was only possible when cells accumulated extremely high levels of manganese that exceeded cellular iron. Moreover, there was no evidence for iron inactivation of the SOD. B. burgdorferi SodA shows strong overall homology with other members of the Mn-SOD family, but computer-assisted modeling revealed some unusual features of the hydrogen bonding network near the enzyme's active site. The unique properties of B. burgdorferi SodA may represent adaptation to expression in the manganese-rich and iron-poor environment of the spirochete.

Last edited:

artist

I agree @Ben. I’ve been shocked at how impactful small amounts of trace minerals can be. After low dose boron changed my physique so much it really opened my mind. I had always been pretty hamfisted about supplements and skeptical of their effectiveness.

I’m very interested in this. Manganese REALLY swells up my lymph nodes (neck, inguinal and even back of knees) even in my tiny dosage (2mg). This effect seems to be somewhat offset by B1, and in my case I think I might have some kind of paired deficiency, possibly B1 secondary to manganese since the former can’t be stored without the latter. In any case I finally started getting such bad lymph congestion in my head that a sneeze made a *pop* sensation in the side of my head and an artery in my temple seems more prominent now, which I think may be related 😭 Hoping this is just a supeficial issue, in both senses of the word, but that’s how the sensation felt, not painful. I honestly was struggling to swallow my calcium pills becuase of the swelling by that point as well so I decided to back off til all of the swelling leaves and start over even lower (1mg!) with B1 on deck from the beginning. I think maybe my MCAS (angioedema galore) paired with the immune stimulation is just too much too soon.

However, so far benefits from manganese for me include less painful periods (still very regular), less PMS, stronger smoother joints in my knees and jaw (my jaw has cracked for over 10 years, now it’s like there’s a cushion there and no sound or friction), stronger teeth, and a lower glutamate feeling in my brain, like more chilled out. My fragile veins seem calmer and my skin seems less translucent and more moisturized, and I can tolerate B1 and vitamin C supplements for the first time. My vision seems better and my eyes somehow just sit more comfortably in my face, like the muscles aren’t as “sticky” somehow. This is all just after a month of a low dosage, which was why I stuck with it despite the weird side effects. I’m still very convinced of a deficiency, almost even moreso because of my exaggerated response, but I have to proceed with caution.

Last edited:

LLight

These are the two publications that made me make a link between manganese and the glymphatic system:
Treatment of cultures with manganese increased AQP4 protein in the plasma membrane (PM), whereas total cellular AQP4 protein and mRNA levels were unchanged, suggesting that increased AQP4 levels is due to its increased stability and/or increased trafficking to the PM and not to its neosynthesis.
Drainage of CSF from the cisterna magna to the lymph nodes exhibits daily variation opposite to glymphatic influx, suggesting distribution of CSF throughout the animal depends on time-of-day. The perivascular polarization of AQP4 is highest during the rest phase and loss of AQP4 eliminates the day-night difference in both glymphatic influx and drainage to the lymph nodes. We conclude that CSF distribution is under circadian control and that AQP4 supports this rhythm.

artist

Thanks @LLight ! I’d prefer this be the reason than due to feeding an infection (like Borrelia). I don’t have other subjective symptoms of having a growing infection, really just the lymph. It’s odd though because this doesn’t seem to be a common reaction even at much higher dosages.

I have held off of taking lactoferrin while trialing manganese but I do wonder if it might be helpful with absorption and preventing bacteria from stealing it.