Man with 2nd highest IQ in world lists 38 supplements he takes

yoshiesque

Rick Rosner, the man with the 2nd highest IQ in the world has listed an insane amount of supplements he takes. Just thought id post it all here, would be great for a discussion.

Ill quote the supplements part and you can read the entire website here if you are interseted - http://www.businessinsider.com/rick-rosner-iq-and-health-2014-12

I am quite interested in brain performance and focus. I always feel brain fog these days and sometimes wonder if RP diet in long run would give optimal brain performance and focus. That is, does metabolism increase brain performance and focus? Your thoughts and experiences so far would be appreciated. Honest feedback please, sometimes ppl become so obsessed with RP (or even paleo etc) and believe it so much that they will just lie about all the amazing things its done. Ive seen it before, not a good way to contribute.

Omega 3 fish oil capsules. This is supposed to be the good fat, more liquid at normal temperatures, to take the place of not-so-good, more solid fats.

Half an aspirin daily. Along with flossing your teeth, taking half an aspirin or a baby aspirin each day might be the cheapest, easiest way to extend your life. Aspirin knocks down inflammation and keeps your blood thin. You can get a year’s worth of aspirin for a buck at a discount store.

Metformin. A drug for Type 2 diabetics that decreases glucose production in the liver and helps your body use insulin more efficiently, reducing spikes in blood sugar (and possibly reducing the likelihood of cancer). Metformin is one of two drugs that may fool your body into reacting as if you're ingesting fewer calories, possibly flipping your metabolism into extended-life mode.

Metoprolol. A blood-pressure drug that I take that knocks down adrenalin and the fight-or-flight response. It lets me drive in LA without my blood pressure going up.

Glisodin. One of the many things I take which is supposed to clean up cellular gunk, stuff that builds up over a lifetime. This may help slow down graying of hair, might cause slight euphoria. Hard to tell.

Avodart (generic name dutasteride). It knocks out DHT (dihydrotestosterone), a form of testosterone that makes your prostate blow up and your hair fall out. Whenever you see a TV ad where old men are always rushing off to pee, you're seeing an ad for a DHT blocker. An added benefit of DHT blockers is they cause your body to pump out some extra testosterone to compensate, so it's a little like being on steroids. Don’t let women come in contact with this drug — it could lead to the birth of a hermaphrodite.

Glucosamine and chondroitin. For less-creaky joints. Our dog gets this, too.

Fancy multivitamins from Life Extension and Vitacost. The kind with about 45 obscure ingredients.

SAM-e (S-Adenosyl methionine). This is supposed to keep your liver all nice. Also, milk thistle, which is also supposed to help your liver.

Astragalus. May help fight the shortening of telomeres.

Fiber gummies. I like food and don't have perfect food habits, so I use fiber gummies and carb blockers to compensate for my lack of eating discipline. Fiber gummies are fiber in the form of gumdrops — candy that makes you poop. The faster food moves through you, the less you absorb. Carb blockers suppress a digestive enzyme so you only absorb 75% of the carbs you eat when you take them with a meal. You poop a little more, but it's worth it.

Fat blockers. These are pure punishment and should be avoided for all but the fattiest meals. It’s better just to eat less fat. For instance, peel most of the cheese off a piece of pizza — it will still taste just like pizza.

Prescription and non-prescription drugs to lower cholesterol.

Curcumin. Reduces inflammation and is a very pretty orange color.

ToCoQ10

L-carnosine

ALA and acetyl L-carnitine

Vitamin D3

Vitamin C

Vitamin E with selenium and also Gamma E

Lycopene

TMG (trimethylglycene)

Calcium

Benfotamine

N-acetyl cysteine

Mangosteen pomegranate noni complex

Vitamin K

Horse chestnut
(for varicose veins)

Quercetin & bromelain

Coffee. This is the only brain drug I know for sure works. It doesn’t make me smarter, but it keeps me alert. Started drinking it about two and a half years ago. Used to nod off every afternoon at work. No more, thanks to coffee.

Phosphatidylserine

DMAE

Aminoguanidine

Centrophenoxine

Piracetam

Cognitex from Life Extension

Vinpocetine
(occasionally)

Methylene blue. A dye that is in Phase III clinical trials to see whether it clears out junk amyloid protein in the brain. MB may act as a detergent, helping to break up amyloid, which can clog the brain, killing neurons. Might be good if you’ve taken some shots to the head. I worked in bars and got punched in the face a few times — but not anything like the shots taken by football players. (Plus, methylene blue makes your urine a rich emerald green.)

burtlancast

"Prescription and non-prescription drugs to lower cholesterol."

Not a very bright idea...

Peata

I've taken more from his list, but the following are the ones I felt actually do something. Just my .02.

Aspirin - makes me feel better physically, mentally when I take a couple.

Curcumin - definitely has anti-inflammatory effects for me. I haven't taken it in a long time though.

D3 - I felt like it brightened my mood and mental clarity just a bit when I started it this winter.

Coffee - of course gives alertness.

tara

yoshiesque said:
... the man with the 2nd highest IQ in the world ...
As determined how/by whom? :lol:

tara

tara said:
yoshiesque said:
... the man with the 2nd highest IQ in the world ...
As determined how/by whom? :lol:
OK, I briefly followed the link. 2nd best at doing a particular set of IQ tests, from a self-selected sample who actually did the tests and sent them in to the central coordinator. I'm sure he's very intelligent, but hyperbolic claims like that bring out my scepticism. :)

schultz

Even though he's better than me at taking IQ tests, at least I'm smarter than him when it comes to diet :P

"Avodart (generic name dutasteride). It knocks out DHT (dihydrotestosterone)"

Uhh.... :shock:

tara

schultz said:
Even though he's better than me at taking IQ tests, at least I'm smarter than him when it comes to diet :P

— but he does not claim to be a doctor.

“In college, the only chemistry class I passed was Chem 099 for football players and idiots,” he tells Business Insider UK. “Scepticism is advised. At the very least, Wikipedia this stuff.”

So the IQ came before this stack, eh? ;)

He seems more interested in this stuff - and others with high IQs don't share his experimentation with supplements. If you want a high IQ, then there are ways to get better at IQ tests.

Of course, if you have brain fog or lack of clear focus, then one should definitely work on these things. I wouldn't weigh one person's short-term personal experiences more than any other's really.

Here you go... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYo46N-Kfuw
Looks like someone to emulate? Wanna spend "120 hours" on IQ tests - which even he says is a waste of time? Lol, you see this guy lifting barbells with momentum from his hips like he's humping the air. No thanks, gentlemen.

schultz

tara said:
schultz said:

— but he does not claim to be a doctor.

“In college, the only chemistry class I passed was Chem 099 for football players and idiots,” he tells Business Insider UK. “Scepticism is advised. At the very least, Wikipedia this stuff.”

I guess I came across as a bit rude... :( not to mention arrogant :eek:

tara

schultz said:
I guess I came across as a bit rude... :( not to mention arrogant :eek:
:)
I think the distinction between knowledge and intelligence is a useful one. I think he has been more focussed on maths and physics than biology and biochemistry. Although he apparently also wrote a lot of jokes, which I think is a different kind of skill/intelligence.

I haven't looked at a lot of IQ tests, but I suspect that they tend to select for strengths in areas like mathematics and formal logic, and not so much in areas that require integration and processing of a very wide range of knowledge, or intelligence in areas that are less verbal.

"Fat blockers. These are pure punishment and should be avoided for all but the fattiest meals. It’s better just to eat less fat. For instance, peel most of the cheese off a piece of pizza — it will still taste just like pizza."

Yep.

burtlancast

I wonder where Ray scores ?

tara

burtlancast said:
I wonder where Ray scores ?
I doubt the test exists that could meaningfully assess this. :)

OP
Y

yoshiesque

well look, i would agree that this guy has the highest IQ in the world, according to standard IQ tests. but at the same time, IQ doesnt mean you are the smartest man in the world. IQ is a measure of one thing but it doesnt conclude that you have it all. Actually even this guy points it out. I was just surprised to see all those supplements. Some which are clearly ridiculous, some which seem alright.

cout12

Going to the gym 5 times a day, and to 5 different gyms, is the definition of stupidity. It's a waste of both time and money. If you wanna work out 5 times a day buy equipment and work out at home.

I think if you watch the video you learn that they are clearly hobbies or fixations, not a planned out kind of thing.