Man Lives Off His Fat Stores For 382 Days

He burned through a total of 276 pounds (125 kg) of fat only supplementing electrolytes thus not taking him out of ketosis. Peat has mentioned that ketones are a safe fuel and that it is the fat that doesn't turn into ketones and remains as free fatty acids that is the problem. But this man had a whole lot of fat to turn into ketones to live off of while remaining in a resting state and not doing much else. This is because when you're fasting it's best to remain rested so you do not starting burning your muscles away into glucose. When you have no glycogen stored in your muscles and liver when you're in ketosis, you can't do much but sit, sleep, rest, and walk. If you do more, you will turn your muscles into sugar because there's no glycogen. But Peat has also mentioned that the process in which to induce ketosis is stressful outside of the safety of ketones, such as the damaging effect from a rise in cortisol: Ray Peat on the stress of ketogenic diets

I think this study is another example that shows what ketosis' true purpose is; to survive a famine, or, in a modern controlled setting, to therapeutically and drasticaly lose excess body fat which can then reverse type two diabetes, hypertension, joint pain etc.

"Patient A.B. aged 27 years, weighed on admission 456lb (207 kg). During the 382 days of his fast, vitamin supplements were given daily as 'Multivite' (BDH),vitamin C and yeast for the first 10 months and as 'Paladin' (ParkeDavis), for the last 3 months. Non-caloric fluids were allowed adlibitum. From Day 93 to Day 162 only, he was given potassium supplements (two effervescent potassium tablets BPC supplying 13m Eq daily) and from Day 345 to Day 355 only he was given sodium supplements (25g sodium chloride daily). No other drug treatment was given."

PDF:

Attachments

• 382.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:

m_arch

He burned through a total of 276 pounds (125 kg) of fat only supplementing electrolytes thus not taking him out of ketosis. Peat has mentioned that ketones are a safe fuel and that it is the fat that doesn't turn into ketones and remains as free fatty acids that is the problem. But this man had a whole lot of fat to turn into ketones to live off of while remaining in a resting state and not doing much else. This is because when you're fasting it's best to remain rested so you do not starting burning your muscles away into glucose. When you have no glycogen stored in your muscles and liver when you're in ketosis, you can't do much but sit, sleep, rest, and walk. If you do more, you will turn your muscles into sugar because there's no glycogen. But Peat has also mentioned that the process in which to induce ketosis is stressful outside of the safety of ketones, such as the damaging effect from a rise in cortisol: Ray Peat on the stress of ketogenic diets

I think this study is another example that shows what ketosis' true purpose is; to survive a famine, or, in a modern controlled setting, to therapeutically and drasticaly lose excess body fat which can then reverse type two diabetes, hypertension, joint pain etc.

"Patient A.B. aged 27 years, weighed on admission 456lb (207 kg). During the 382 days of his fast, vitamin supplements were given daily as 'Multivite' (BDH),vitamin C and yeast for the first 10 months and as 'Paladin' (ParkeDavis), for the last 3 months. Non-caloric fluids were allowed adlibitum. From Day 93 to Day 162 only, he was given potassium supplements (two effervescent potassium tablets BPC supplying 13m Eq daily) and from Day 345 to Day 355 only he was given sodium supplements (25g sodium chloride daily). No other drug treatment was given."

PDF:
Curious if you tolerate dairy westsidepufas, and what diet changes you recommend for some one that doesn't?
I seem good on potatoes although they make me fart for hours after!

Jayfish

Humans still needs small amounts of glucose even in deep ketosis, there's no doubt that this man atrophied his muscles and organs.

When he begins eating solid foods again, he will no doubt gain weight rapidly, it won't be pretty.

T

tca300

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550413112001891

Imagine how beneficial 16 hour fasts could be if you ate low fat, and pro thyroid foods.
I asked Ray about short daily 16 hour fasts and he said it was ok if the person was healthy. Maybe if fat stores are high in PUFA one should take a good dose of vitamin E daily for protection, and some salty magnesium bicarbonate during the fast, to help with stress. Haidut is probably going to beat me with a stick for posting this, haha.

tara

I guess some of you would have seen this story a couple of years ago. Apparently the man was fat to begin with and had a strong appetite, so he could eat enough even if not so palatable. 438 days drifting at sea. Not a lot of carbs, I imagine.
Lost at sea: the man who vanished for 14 months

superhuman

@tca300 you know that fasting mice for 16 hours is the same as fasting humans for 48 hours so of course they will end up in a caloric deficit and loose fat which again will improve a TON of health markers.

Makrosky

Very interesting. I doubt though it's 100% accurate since they weren't observing 24h/7d the guy and he most probably ate something every few days for whatever reason.

T

tca300

@superhuman really? 48 hours? I feel dumb. Thank you, I had no Idea. I'm not Fasting for 48 hours by choice so that's out the window haha.

Collden

This case is interesting, he completely reversed his obesity and maintained this normal weight for at least 5 years after the fasting ended. This suggests that fasting can have a lasting positive influence on ones body fat set point.

I had never seen pictures of the guy before, but judging by his face, his hormonal status did not deteriorate but even improved after this massive weight loss, his eyebrows are thicker after the fast than before it and he looks a good deal more masculine.
The True Story of a Man Who Survived Without Any Food For 382 Days