Maltodextrin

jyb

I was looking for a source of fruit concentrate powder in my area, as this may be more convenient and cheaper than buying the concentrate juice from the store. In addition, the water I'd add to the powder would be non-fluoridated, the juice wouldn't be siting in BPA lined bottles, and I could dose the water concentration myself: a lot of advantages potentially.

The only source of powder I could find comes with a high amount of maltodextrin due to the spray drying method. I'm not sure either if it has all the fiber removed like the concentrate powder that manufacturers use to make juice from concentrate. In any case, is maltodextrin safe?

Dan W

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question, but is frozen concentrate expensive in the UK? It's extremely cheap here, so I've thought of using it for many of the reasons you mention. And I imagine it (theoretically) reduces the amount of enzymes and flavor packs.

OP
J

jyb

It's not commercially available here, sadly. However I found a producer willing to sell to individuals. It's expensive, there's no financial advantage over buying concentrate at the store, although the quality may be higher. However, the one I found contains maltodextrin (in significant amounts).

OP
J

jyb

I've read mixed information on maltodextrin: is it digested as quickly as sucrose, or does it remain undigested and feed bacteria?

Kunder

You're going to drink "fruit concentrate powder" and you are concerned about the safety of maltodextrin? Seriously? What do you think that fruit goes through before it becomes powder?

Also, I don't know what kind of bleak, awful future you're calling from, but no juice concentrate I know is made from "concentrate powder".

Edit: oh i see, the UK, ok bleak enough

cyclops

I'm thinking about taking maltodextrin or dextrose as a post-workout carb in a protein/carb shake I make.

I know it's not exactly Peaty but I think this may replenish muscle glycogen better then fructose and the could be useful if working out intensley. I was going to eat White Rice or Potatoes but sometimes those take too long cook. Maybe I'll get rice cakes....

But does anyone have know which of the two would be better our have an opinion on this?

cyclops

Why not just take glucose powder?

I remember dextrose and maltodextrin as the recommended post workout carbs from back in my bodybuilding days. I never heard of glucose powder - didn't know about that. I thought thats kind of what these were. But I see it does exist, you think that would be better?

Kunder

well i suppose since dextrose is just one of two glucose stereoisomers, it probably doesnt matter much

Carrum

I was putting dextrose in my orange juice until I realised it was causing diarrhea.
Cyclops, you could just add table sugar (which is fructose and glucose) to your shake.

LadyRae

How can maltodextrin be caloric or have a glycemic index at all when it is in a zero calorie sweetener bound to sucralose?

Candeias

Direct impact of commonly used dietary emulsifiers on human gut microbiota

"Some of the strongest effects we observed were from maltodextrin, which is not classified as an emulsifier by regulatory agencies but yet have emulsifying properties which impacts food surface characteristics [12]. Maltodextrin impacted several parameters we tested including microbiota density, composition, gene expression, and, perhaps consequently, expression of pro-inflammatory molecules. Such results are consistent with accumulating evidences demonstrating the detrimental impact of maltodextrin on the intestinal environment [9, 10, 30]. However, it should be pointed out that this polysaccharide is thought to be very quickly digested to glucose and absorbed in the small intestine and thus may never have the direct impacts with colon bacteria that we sought to model. Thus, discernment of whether the impacts observed really relate to maltodextrin’s impacts in vivo requires further investigation."