Maltodextrin Gives Me Insomnia

maillol

As does white rice, so I presume it's something to do with starch.

I am fine with wheat and potatoes.

I can just avoid it but what does this mean? Surely these things shouldn't give me insomnia. Is it feeding bacteria?

Maltodextrin is believed to be involved in IBD and IBS. Inflamed or irritated gut is a sleepless night warrant.

jet9

I can just avoid it but what does this mean? Surely these things shouldn't give me insomnia. Is it feeding bacteria?
Never tried maltodextrin, but white rice gave me insomnia too. Kind of unpleasant anxious / hard to sleep feeling.

yerrag

Maltodextrin is highly processed and breaks down into glucose very quickly. Is this an experiment you're doing? I hope so.

You don't have good blood sugar control. Your blood sugar jumps after getting a sudden deluge of glucose, insulin spikes, then blood sugar drops as a result. Then you can't sleep. If you have good control, it won't matter as much as your body is perfectly capable of absorbing that sugar rush, keeping insulin from spiking and blood glucose from crashing.

White rice will do the same thing, but to a lesser degree, but still you wouldn't have stable blood sugar in your sleep, and your sleep is disturbed.

Wheat has more protein than rice, and it helps somewhat in restraining the sugar rush (sudden assimilation of sugar into blood, after wheat is digested). Plus, the little protein that's there could still turn into glucose by gluconeogenesis. And if the wheat isn't processed, the fiber slows down the digestion and assimilation of sugar into blood, restraining the sudden rush of sugar.

Potatoes without the skin is highly glycemic, so probably you were eating the potatoes with skin? This fiber helps slown down the assimilation of sugar. But I don't know if you're eating white rice and eating potatoes with similar accompanying macronutrients, as you didn't elaborate, leaving people to think you were eating all of these carbs by themselves or with accompanying macros such as fats and protein. If you were having mashed potatoes alone, without the skin, I think you'd still be left with a sugar low in your sleep and you'd also be having insomnia.

OP
maillol

maillol

Maltodextrin is highly processed and breaks down into glucose very quickly. Is this an experiment you're doing? I hope so.

You don't have good blood sugar control. Your blood sugar jumps after getting a sudden deluge of glucose, insulin spikes, then blood sugar drops as a result. Then you can't sleep. If you have good control, it won't matter as much as your body is perfectly capable of absorbing that sugar rush, keeping insulin from spiking and blood glucose from crashing.

White rice will do the same thing, but to a lesser degree, but still you wouldn't have stable blood sugar in your sleep, and your sleep is disturbed.

Wheat has more protein than rice, and it helps somewhat in restraining the sugar rush (sudden assimilation of sugar into blood, after wheat is digested). Plus, the little protein that's there could still turn into glucose by gluconeogenesis. And if the wheat isn't processed, the fiber slows down the digestion and assimilation of sugar into blood, restraining the sudden rush of sugar.

Potatoes without the skin is highly glycemic, so probably you were eating the potatoes with skin? This fiber helps slown down the assimilation of sugar. But I don't know if you're eating white rice and eating potatoes with similar accompanying macronutrients, as you didn't elaborate, leaving people to think you were eating all of these carbs by themselves or with accompanying macros such as fats and protein. If you were having mashed potatoes alone, without the skin, I think you'd still be left with a sugar low in your sleep and you'd also be having insomnia.

Gosh I forgot about this post. March feels like an age ago. It was an experiment yes. I think at the time I was working on a theory that fructose wasn't agreeing with me and I was using it as a sugar replacement.

I see your thinking but I don't think it was a blood sugar problem as I occasionally measured it and it was always normal. I also didn't have problems with skinless potatoes, white bread or pure glucose. With the rice I was talking about eating it as part of a meal. It would disturb my sleep however I ate it.

In hindsight I was in a pretty high stress state at the time which was definitely the main contributing factor. This is mostly resolved now but I still think there was something about rice that affected my sleep and I still tend to avoid it. This is an interesting post Any Ideas Why I React To White Rice And Sweet Potatoes But Not White Bread And Regular Potatoes?

yerrag

Maybe there's something in the rice.

I live in Manila. Country consumes plenty of rice, even imports a lot from places like India and Vietnam.

There's a grade the government imports that's called NFA rice. NFA for National Food Authority. I avoid this grade. It's cheap and it's highy sprayed with fertilizers. In the US, it seems I read a lot of rice is grown on high-arsenic contaminated soil.

I get a better grade here, hoping I avoid the contaminants.

If you're not a regular rice eater, there's that adjustment process also to these contaminants too. Many not being used to it plays a part.

OP
maillol

maillol

Maybe there's something in the rice.

I live in Manila. Country consumes plenty of rice, even imports a lot from places like India and Vietnam.

There's a grade the government imports that's called NFA rice. NFA for National Food Authority. I avoid this grade. It's cheap and it's highy sprayed with fertilizers. In the US, it seems I read a lot of rice is grown on high-arsenic contaminated soil.

I get a better grade here, hoping I avoid the contaminants.

If you're not a regular rice eater, there's that adjustment process also to these contaminants too. Many not being used to it plays a part.

That sounds like a good possibility.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals