Male V Female Hemoglobin Levels

shepherdgirl

According to the Red Cross, the following hemoglobin ranges are normal:
males: 13.5-17.5 g/dl
women: 12.0-15.5 g/dl
What could be the reason why men tend to have a higher hemoglobin than women? For example, isn't it true that a smaller person will have a larger surface area per unit mass than a taller person of similar build, so the smaller person would have to be able to oxygenate more tissue per unit of blood? And also the uterine lining would probably require a rich oxygen supply as well? Or maybe body composition differences account for the different ranges?

InChristAlone

According to the Red Cross, the following hemoglobin ranges are normal:
males: 13.5-17.5 g/dl
women: 12.0-15.5 g/dl
What could be the reason why men tend to have a higher hemoglobin than women? For example, isn't it true that a smaller person will have a larger surface area per unit mass than a taller person of similar build, so the smaller person would have to be able to oxygenate more tissue per unit of blood? And also the uterine lining would probably require a rich oxygen supply as well? Or maybe body composition differences account for the different ranges?
This is just my theory, but maybe it has to do with iron levels? Maybe men store more iron because they don't menstruate?

OP
S

shepherdgirl

@Janelle525
Hmmm, that makes sense. So menstruation is enough to prevent iron accumulation, even from all the enriched products? Or is it only heme iron that can be made into hemoglobin, in which case women can have lower hemoglobin but still be overloaded with (non-heme) iron?

InChristAlone

OP
S

shepherdgirl

@Janelle525
Thanks for posting this study - really interesting! If I understand it right, they are saying that higher estrogen levels lead to production of more red blood cells with less oxygen carrying capacity.
I wonder how much of this could be a consequence of increased environmental estrogens affecting women more due to their already higher estrogen levels.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've read before that testosterone might be involved and it seems plausible since men typically have more muscle mass. It's probably a combination of what @Janelle525 mentioned and testosterone effecting hbg levels as well. I'm not sure there is a definite consensus but maybe one of our scientific gurus would know.

OP
S

shepherdgirl

Thanks @Blossom
Yes, it seems plausible that testosterone would be involved, and even just the fact that it counteracts estrogen would probably also increase hemoglobin.
I finally looked to see if Ray had anything to say about the male/female hemoglobin difference, and not surprisingly, he did:
Estrogen (even in animals that don't menstruate) causes dilution of the blood, so that it is normal for females to have lower hemoglobin than males.
Ray Peat, "Iron's Dangers"

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks @Blossom
Yes, it seems plausible that testosterone would be involved, and even just the fact that it counteracts estrogen would probably also increase hemoglobin.
I finally looked to see if Ray had anything to say about the male/female hemoglobin difference, and not surprisingly, he did:

Ray Peat, "Iron's Dangers"
Great find!