Male bodybuilders 40% less likely to die of cancer

andrew81

Ray peat suggest that we shouldnt do high intensity weightlifting becuase it produces lactic acid and destroy mitochondria , however it seems that weightlifters are way less likely to develop and die of cancer .
"The results showed men who regularly worked out with weights and had the highest muscle strength were between 30 and 40 per cent less likely to lose their life to a deadly tumour. Even among volunteers who had excess tummy fat or a high body mass index, regular weight training seemed to have a protective effect."

what do you guys think ?

Ray peat suggest that we shouldnt do high intensity weightlifting becuase it produces lactic acid and destroy mitochondria , however it seems that weightlifters are way less likely to develop and die of cancer .
"The results showed men who regularly worked out with weights and had the highest muscle strength were between 30 and 40 per cent less likely to lose their life to a deadly tumour. Even among volunteers who had excess tummy fat or a high body mass index, regular weight training seemed to have a protective effect."

what do you guys think ?
Link to the study?

what do you guys think ?
I think it is very misleading, for a couple reasons. Number one, less likely to die than who, the overweight people, unhealthy people, old people, than who? Number two reason, how do we know that it is the body building and not the fact body builders are healthy eaters?

ThunderSpank

Not true! Ray has spoken fondly of building muscle, and mentioned how it is actually protective against stress and is a source of androgens.

He's NOT a fan of the cardio they do or the usual high iron, high phosphorus to calcium ratio diet and obvious drug use thats common.

Avoiding the steady state cardio, and the breathlessness created from it, circuit training, high rep sets that last 40+ seconds and or too short of rest periods between sets, is what he thinks is harmful. Obviously a super sick person probably shouldn't be doing anything but walking.

“In the resting state, muscles consume mainly fats, so maintaining relatively large muscles is important for preventing the accumulation of fats.” - Ray

" Building muscle with an anabolic diet, and the right kind of activity, causes a hormonal shift." - Ray's response regarding the treatment of cellulite

" Occasional intense muscle activity is good. " - Ray

" Concentric resistance training has an anabolic effect on the whole body. " Ray

He's also said in interviews that muscle contraction creates androgens which help oppose cortisol.

Not true! Ray has spoken fondly of building muscle, and mentioned how it is actually protective against stress and is a source of androgens.

He's NOT a fan of the cardio they do or the usual high iron, high phosphorus to calcium ratio diet and obvious drug use thats common.

Avoiding the steady state cardio, and the breathlessness created from it, circuit training, high rep sets that last 40+ seconds and or too short of rest periods between sets, is what he thinks is harmful. Obviously a super sick person probably shouldn't be doing anything but walking.

“In the resting state, muscles consume mainly fats, so maintaining relatively large muscles is important for preventing the accumulation of fats.” - Ray

" Building muscle with an anabolic diet, and the right kind of activity, causes a hormonal shift." - Ray's response regarding the treatment of cellulite

" Occasional intense muscle activity is good. " - Ray

" Concentric resistance training has an anabolic effect on the whole body. " Ray

He's also said in interviews that muscle contraction creates androgens which help oppose cortisol.
I am not disputing that muscles are good. I wrote the same quote in my Big Muscles Little Fat post. I posted what I posted to show that the studies are flawed. How much body building becomes stress on the body is a fine line. Some is good, but maybe too much is bad. There are arguements on both sides of it for different reasons. I am a big believer that muscles in the body are very important.?

Last edited:
I am not disputing that muscles are good. I wrote the same quote in my Big Muscles Little Fat post. I posted what I posted to show that the studies are flawed. How much body building becomes stress on the body is a fine line. Some is good, but maybe too much is bad. There are arguements on both sides of it for different reasons. I am a big believer that muscles in the body are very important.?

Attachments

• 20210618_161251.jpg
    20210618_161251.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 30
This little clip is in the link I posted. It wasn't all bad, just more to my point, is it the body building, the better eating and is too much better?

Sitaruîm

In my opinion it's not about the amount of muscle, but the amount of effort put into achieving said muscle mass that matters. You shouldn't have to train everyday hours on end.

I agree with you Indicator! My problem is with the "study", which is so vague, it seems made up, like everything else on the internet. Since professional body builders have a reputation for dying earlier than other athletics, what body builders are they talking about? So they died early of a heart attack or whatever so that gives them credit for not dying of cancer? How could there possible be a study like that? Did they test these bodybuilders against swimmers or people that do yoga? Is is it light 2 minute intense lifting, as Ray Peat suggests, or was it against the eyeball bulging bodybuilders? Or is it the dozen raw eggs that protects them from cancer? Oh my gosh I laughed at that study!

Last edited:
What do we think of this study? Granted we don't know what they died of...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210618-173145_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210618-173145_Samsung Internet.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 13
No wonder they don't die of cancer they die of something else first ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210618-173735_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210618-173735_Samsung Internet.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 14
No wonder they don't die of cancer they die of something else first ?
This looks like it correlates with the cancer rates, but then again did they not die of cancer because they had a heart attack first?

Attachments

• 20210618_174412.jpg
    20210618_174412.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 28
It could be that bodybuilders usually eat more protein and carbs and less fat
Did you look at the studies I posted? This post was taken out of context. The cancer was down, but heart attack is twice the rate as a normal man, as was everything else.

yerrag

Ray Peat is 84?

We'll wait for Arnold to catch up.

Meanwhile, Paul Bragg in his mid-90s died as a result of surfing. Probably he lifted weights, but likely not to build his body.

No science here, just babbling.

Ray Peat is 84?

We'll wait for Arnold to catch up.

Meanwhile, Paul Bragg in his mid-90s died as a result of surfing. Probably he lifted weights, but likely not to build his body.

No science here, just babbling.
Exactly!

yerrag

The babbling part? lol

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals