Malaria - Ghana

Peater

I have to go to Ghana for work. Apparently malaria isn't such an issue there but I'm still concerned. The list of side affects for anti-malarial drugs looks foreboding.

Being a 'Peater' I'm obviously aware of methylene blue, but it needs serious dosing for use as an anti-malarial and I doubt I'd be able to take enough without it being confiscated.

Just after any other ideas really. Quinine? I don't mind a G & T :D

OP
P

Peater

I will look that up tomorrow, thanks (it's late here now)

High_Prob

I will look that up tomorrow, thanks (it's late here now)

Make sure you do some deep research since (of course) it's not without side effects/contraindications, like anything else...

Adverse effects[edit]
Artemisinins are generally well tolerated at the doses used to treat malaria.[21] The side effects from the artemisinin class of medications are similar to the symptoms of malaria: nausea, vomiting, anorexia, and dizziness. Mild blood abnormalities have also been noted. A rare but serious adverse effect is allergic reaction.[21][22] One case of significant liver inflammation has been reported in association with prolonged use of a relatively high-dose of artemisinin for an unclear reason (the patient did not have malaria).[23] The drugs used in combination therapies can contribute to the adverse effects experienced by those undergoing treatment. Adverse effects in patients with acute P. falciparum malaria treated with artemisinin derivatives tend to be higher.[24]

Resistance[edit]
Clinical evidence for artemisinin resistance in southeast Asia was first reported in 2008,[25] and was subsequently confirmed by a detailed study from western Cambodia.[26][27] Resistance in neighbouring Thailand was reported in 2012,[28] and in Northern Cambodia, Vietnam and Eastern Myanmar in 2014.[29][30] Emerging resistance was reported in Southern Laos, central Myanmar and North-Eastern Cambodia in 2014.[29][30] The parasite's kelch gene on chromosome 13 appears to be a reliable molecular marker for clinical resistance in southeast Asia.[31]

In April 2011, the WHO stated that resistance to the most effective antimalarial drug, artemisinin, could unravel national, Indian malaria control programs, which have achieved significant progress in the last decade. WHO advocates the rational use of antimalarial drugs and acknowledges the crucial role of community health workers in reducing malaria in the region.[32]

Mechanism of action[edit]
As of 2015, the mechanism of action of arteminisins was not known, but the most widely accepted theory was that they are first activated through cleavage after reacting with haem and iron(II) oxide, which results in the generation of free radicals that in turn damage susceptible proteins, resulting in the death of the parasite.[33][34] In 2016 artemisinin was shown to bind to a large number of targets suggesting that it acts in a promiscuous manner.[35]

Last edited:
B

Braveheart

I am curious...who contributes to Wikipedia info? updates?...verifys?...does anyone know?

Stilgar

Someone I know recently contracted malaria in Ghana. They know how to treat it in the hospitals but I would be prepared.

B

Braveheart

I thought this stuff was going to be a medicine - turns out it's available on eBay and Amazon! Any recommended brands?

Thank you
Do some research and check Vitacost for Nutricology brand

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals