Malaise

DavidGardner

I don't even know where to start. I chose "malaise" as the title for this thread because it's all-compassing nature best describes what I am experiencing. Usually it begins around 5 or 6 am, after breakfast and coffee, although it does not seem dependent on those things. Sometime I get up earlier, like 3 or 4 and have already breakfasted, caffeinated, or even worked out by that time and it still comes on consistently, peaking around 6:30 - 7. Basically, I feel like I am going to die. I've dealt with anxiety and this is similar but different. I feel like everything from the neurotransmitters in my brain, to my heart beat, to my breathing, even organ function is off. Supplements sometimes help but often worsen the symptoms or create new problems, so I am backing off as much as possible.

I've been prescribed Adderall for ADD, Buspirone for anxiety, and Trazodone for sleep. I avoid taking all of these now because they are too serotonergic. Anything that increases serotonin worsens the symptoms most noticeably. Even yogurt and probiotics seem to generate enough gut serotonin to exacerbate the problem.

Interestingly, androsterone and 5 alpha-dhp also worsen my condition, producing dysphoria and a feeling like I am going to black out. I speculate that the GABAergic effect is too strong, just like with taurine.

As far as diet is concerned, I'm shifting away from bread and ice cream to white rice for my carbs. I want pure starch, not sugar. Haven't had much fruit for a while because it doesn't satisfy my appetite. Also trying to avoid excessive protein due to tryptophan. I should note that I suffer from night eating syndrome. I eat excessively at dinner and sometimes afterwards and awaken to eat another meal around 12 or 1. I have no appetite during the day to the point of being repulsed by food, so my lunch is usually just a protein shake.

Caffeine is a double-edged sword. I don't function without it. Literally, I cannot speak or formulate thoughts if I have not had adequate caffeine. The malaise does come afterwards, but I'm not convinced it is the cause. I've been able to stop anxiety attacks in the past by drinking a cup of coffee.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Any thoughts?

moriwatzi

Do you happen to have any bloodwork? Testosterone, tyroid, cholestrol, liver, vit d etc.

Have you tried .5 to 1 mg cyproheptadine? Have you tried inosine to see if it might be some viral problem? How about vitamin d levels or current d supplementation? It is one of Peats first recomendations against general malaise.

Seems like a tough place you're in. One always finds the right direction towards greater health if one keeps experimenting. It seems you already tried a few things, so your journey doesn't start at zero...

OP
D

DavidGardner

Thyroid, cholesterol, and liver were all good last year. Never had testosterone or cortisol tested. Might have to do that. I can't imagine my vitamin D would be low: I'm a redhead and I work oudoors in Texas.

I've thought about cypro. Doxylamine is often helpful taken at night. Only the risk of increased appetite scares 'cause I can already eat pounds of food in the evening.

Do you still take nicotine and phenibut

OP
D

DavidGardner

Still take nicotine, yes. I love it and hate it. Tried to quit recently but couldn't get through the withdrawals. I know it makes things worse by elevating cortisol and insulin. No on the phenibut. I'm too sensitive to anything that stimulates GABA now.

Ice cream has more fat than carbohydrate.

Yes, but I would eat low-fat ice cream in large amounts. Guar gum, etc. I know. Another reason to avoid.

Took 50 mg Benadryl last night, which has helped. Also, avoiding too many supplements is best. I think I ruin my body's ability to maintain homeostasis when I go into "supplement junkie" mode trying to fix myself. The thing I'm consistent with is 325 mg aspirin at night, sometimes 81 mg in the morning. Also take 6 g BCAAs, 5 - 15 g glycine, and 4 g creatine intraworkout, which help to control serotonin and maintain glycogen.

OP
D

DavidGardner

OK, things that have helped so far:

1. Bag breathing, tried it for the first time yesterday

2. Vitamin E with a PUFA containing meal (couldn't avoid)

3. DHEA + Progesterone, rarely use but always take together

4. More aspirin, 650 mg last night and I slept without interruption

5. Less protein, more veggies (including raw carrot)

6. Tianeptine to stave off a panic attack

7. No Adderall!

OP
D

DavidGardner

Oh, and vitamin C. I had forgotten how much that helped me, and I don't drink OJ anymore either.

whodathunkit

@DavidGardner, please consider getting a 24 hour cortisol saliva test.

I'm betting you have low cortisol issues, which usually means overworked adrenals. You getting benefit from vitamin C is also a clue. Vitamin C is crucial to recovering from adrenal fatigue.

Almost everything in your regimen, including getting up at 3a or 4a to work out, is pushing your adrenals to the limit. Post Exertional Malaise (PEM, which is malaise and excessive fatigue after exercise) is usually a symptom of adrenal fatigue.

Too much caffeine is a big no-no if you have adrenal issues. It brings very temporary energy relief but leaves you feeling worse than before.

If you do a 24-hour cortisol test and your cortisol is low in the a.m. and then gets higher as the day wears on (basically, the opposite of a healthy person), then you've got adrenal problems. Hate to say this but since I've been there myself, I suspect that's the result you'll get if you take that saliva test.

But if you don't get the test then at least consider doing some research on adrenal fatigue. Some things might click.

Good luck!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals