Making ketones from carbs

Hans

Forum Supporter
Glucose and fat are converted to pyruvate in the body. Pyruvate is then transported into the mitochondria where it's then converted to acetyl-CoA by pyruvate dehydrogenase. This study found that adding DCA (which potently enhances pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH) by inhibiting PDH kinase) to liver cells with pyruvate significantly enhanced ketone production more so compared to caprylic acid.

"Livers perfused with long-chain fatty acids or the medium-chain fatty acid octanoate showed no evidence of ketogenesis in the 13C spectrum. In contrast, addition of dichloroacetate, a potent inhibitor of pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase, resulted in significant production of both acetoacetate and 3-hydroxybutyrate from the pyruvate precursor."

It significantly enhances acetoacetate production and increased the acetoacetate to beta-hydroxybutyrate ratio, which is a great measure for the NAD:NADH ratio. Meaning, that stimulating PDH can dramatically enhance acetoacetate and NAD as well as BHB, which is an HDAC inhibitor. HDAC inhibitors can further enhance PDH function.
Furthermore, the boost in NAD can increase SIRT3 action, which upregulates PDH even more.

I just found this interesting to share that we can make ketones from glucose and not just fat.

Beastmode

Most of my keto based friends talk about ketones all the time. I don't claim to understand it, but the methods seems very unhealthy.

I asked Peat a while back on the topic and he said exogenous forms are best, however, are really expensive to make.

Nomane Euger

Glucose and fat are converted to pyruvate in the body. Pyruvate is then transported into the mitochondria where it's then converted to acetyl-CoA by pyruvate dehydrogenase. This study found that adding DCA (which potently enhances pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH) by inhibiting PDH kinase) to liver cells with pyruvate significantly enhanced ketone production more so compared to caprylic acid.

"Livers perfused with long-chain fatty acids or the medium-chain fatty acid octanoate showed no evidence of ketogenesis in the 13C spectrum. In contrast, addition of dichloroacetate, a potent inhibitor of pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase, resulted in significant production of both acetoacetate and 3-hydroxybutyrate from the pyruvate precursor."

It significantly enhances acetoacetate production and increased the acetoacetate to beta-hydroxybutyrate ratio, which is a great measure for the NAD:NADH ratio. Meaning, that stimulating PDH can dramatically enhance acetoacetate and NAD as well as BHB, which is an HDAC inhibitor. HDAC inhibitors can further enhance PDH function.
Furthermore, the boost in NAD can increase SIRT3 action, which upregulates PDH even more.

I just found this interesting to share that we can make ketones from glucose and not just fat.
HI,what is DCA?

GTW

I infer DCA is dichloroacetate mentioned in the study. A person might reasonably be wary of chlorinated organic molecules.
Ketone bodies provide energy in the absence or at low levels of CHO/sugar. It's often said that brain requires glucose for energy but ketone bodies serve equally well, or even better once adapted by avoiding the roller effects of hypo and hyperglycemia on mood.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I infer DCA is dichloroacetate mentioned in the study. A person might reasonably be wary of chlorinated organic molecules.
Ketone bodies provide energy in the absence or at low levels of CHO/sugar. It's often said that brain requires glucose for energy but ketone bodies serve equally well, or even better once adapted by avoiding the roller effects of hypo and hyperglycemia on mood.
Yes DCA does have reversible neurological sides. But this study shows that you can make ketones from pyruvate if DCA is provided (so not stress-related). Perhaps pyruvate with large doses of B1 might be able to achieve something similar.