Making homemade SUPER glue from collagen powder possible?

JamesGatz

View: https://youtu.be/nYy5tMOpHJM

I was watching this guy on YouTube make super glue from animal hide - the glue looks very strong which is what I need for fabrics

My sewing machine has been driving me crazy and I would like to attempt to make my own fabric glue at home -

Can I use collagen powder instead of animal hide? It should be a similar glue/consistency if I heated it with water right?

Ive looked at other homemade glue recipes on YouTube and it doesnt look that strong but this animal hide glue looks very strong - can i heat up collagen powder to make super glue or does it have to be animal hide? Animal hide isn't that cheap and I would rather not buy an entire hide just to make glue

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Just tested it out - Used 2 tablespoons of gelatin powder and a few tablespoons of boiling water - its quite strong - if you needed to glue some furniture or rougher material this is definitely strong enough to get the job done

I used it for my clothes but im concerned if i handwash my clothes if the bond will still survive

This is useful for survival as well - if you're ever in the wildness and need a cement-like substance to build a shelter you can boil an animal hide or gelatin and it will be strong enough to do the job

Last edited:

Philomath

Does it turn into a giant hard clump of gelatin when it cools off? If you added alcohol, would it stay liquid in a bottle?

Robert5493

this is an old school recipe, hide glue.
Traditionally used for furniture etc.

Gelatin works, that is all hide glue is and hides (and bones) are where commercial gelatin comes from.
hydrolyzed collagen won't work well if at all because the collagen strands are broken down.

It is not waterproof, it will dissolve when wet.
Pine pitch and tar are the traditional waterproof glues.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

Does it turn into a giant hard clump of gelatin when it cools off? If you added alcohol, would it stay liquid in a bottle?
Yea its a hard clump but if you add boiling water back in it turns back into the glue - I think Robert is right about real gelatin being better than powder - the powder still works for me and its definitely on the stronger sude but it doesn't look as strong as the hide glue the guy makes in the video

Philomath

I just wanted to make a liquid band-aid that I could add various chemicals to.

Robert5493

I just wanted to make a liquid band-aid that I could add various chemicals to.
will work well for that.
it was traditionally used as a skin mask, similar to those pore cleaning strips used for removing blackheads.
I've added sugar and put on cuts and scrapes to accelerate healing.
Harry Robertson, Ellen Heber-Katz, is another rabbit hole.

Don

Acoustic guitars have been made with hide glue and even today soem of the best acoustics are made with the old recipes. Heat is your enemy !

:M :B.

image0-5.jpeg

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals