Making Copper Solution

Worlpt

Hi, how would I make the copper solution discussed here:
viewtopic.php?t=1223

"After I found that a copper solution quickly caused my white eyebrows to return to their normal color..."

edwardBe

No guarantee on quality, but I'm going to try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF1ls-v7puQ. The result is supposed to be copper acetate. I would dilute it heavily before putting it on my eyebrows and then try stronger and stronger solutions if there is no irritation. I would not let it get into my eyes, either.

mother

Ray Peat sent me this email regarding how he made copper acetate. I can't remember where I read it but I believe RP said that DHEA is a safer alternative than copper acetate. Someone may want to post this on the RP email advice section.

"I made it myself, soaking a piece of pure copper with aspirin in water, until a very pale blue color developed. Later, the solution became a deeper blue color, and at a certain concentration I think it's toxic".

jyb

I experimented with using a copper cup. When I let some milk or coke sit in it for some time, I notice a change in coloration inside the cup when I drink it, which shows that some copper is leaching. I do experience a slight nauseous feeling, which confirms that copper is leached. Note that the nauseous feeling doesn't mean that the copper content reached toxicity level, but it could be - the feeling might go away if I drank the cup after a meal instead of on an empty stomach.

I think the copper leaching in that case is copper oxide? So it's probably nowhere as good as copper found in food.

OP
W

Worlpt

I ended up buying simple copper supplement tablets at the online buy-1-get-2-free place . After about 10 days, I thought that my facial hair was getting darker. After another ten days, I am sure of it because the change is very noticeable. It's amazing.

I am aware that some docs, like Barnard, say that it is a possible risk for Alzheimer's (because copper is found in the plaques, just as is aluminum). But I'm thinking that since it has such an apparently beneficial effect, that it most likely isn't bad for me. I get a kick out of it every time I look in the mirror. YMMV as always.

[I'm the OP, btw]

OP
W

Worlpt

mother said:
Ray Peat sent me this email regarding how he made copper acetate. I can't remember where I read it but I believe RP said that DHEA is a safer alternative than copper acetate.
DHEA by itself never had any effect on hair coloration for me. But the following did happen to me last autumn (before I'd ever even heard of using topical copper for anything): A birthmark/mole had, for no apparent reason, gotten rough and a little raised. I had some DHEA tablets on hand, so I started taking that regularly. Probably 100mg/day, some days more. After a few weeks, the roughness had gone and it was flat and smooth.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Worlpt said:
I ended up buying simple copper supplement tablets at the online buy-1-get-2-free place . After about 10 days, I thought that my facial hair was getting darker. After another ten days, I am sure of it because the change is very noticeable. It's amazing.

I am aware that some docs, like Barnard, say that it is a possible risk for Alzheimer's (because copper is found in the plaques, just as is aluminum). But I'm thinking that since it has such an apparently beneficial effect, that it most likely isn't bad for me. I get a kick out of it every time I look in the mirror. YMMV as always.

[I'm the OP, btw]

Wow thanks for posting your update.

OP
W

Worlpt

Charlie said:
Wow thanks for posting your update.
Thanks, Charlie. Since you're interested, I'll add some things.

I don't know if the following is possible, but it seemed to me as if the color was actually traveling down some hair shafts. IOW, the darkness was seemingly spreading faster than the hair was growing. Still, some individual shafts haven't darkened... yet. It's not as if a dye was evenly applied.

The ginger capsules I was taking had lots of sulfur. Sulfur is said to make hair grow faster. Maybe that interacted somehow. Or maybe the anti-inflammatory ginger interacted, I'd wondered anyway if inflammation was causing loss of color.

I didn't take the copper every day; just in case I was taking too much, I gave my system time to cope.

I was taking DHEA during the first week, to try and prevent any flareups of birthmarks/moles. (There never was any flareup, even after stopping the DHEA.)

I took zinc (picolinate) sporadically throughout, but always separated from the copper so as not to inhibit its absorption.

When taking any mineral, I kept them away from each other and also from phytates (tea, broccoli, beans, most vegetables or whole wheat).

Let's see... also on many days I took baking soda, to raise pH after exercise. Some days I took MSM (more sulfur in that).

I was coincidentally having lots of eggs. Also biotin. Oh, and lots of mulberries (antioxidants?), every day for weeks even before starting the copper.

I don't know what, if anything, any of these other substances contributed. If I think of any more possibilities, I'll post back. But if it was as simple as taking copper, then that notion would have already swept the world, right?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thank you. I am really interested because my beard has started turning white, or grey maybe. So I have been contemplating copper recently. So please keep us updated if you can. :hattip

In the meantime I am gonna double up on the oysters and also give squid a shot.

Milky

What about liver? It's easily the best food source of copper. Then I'd say dark chocolate.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Milky said:
What about liver? It's easily the best food source of copper. Then I'd say dark chocolate.

OH yes liver is quite good for that. Having to stay away from dark chocolate because I think its causing me intestinal issues.

OP
W

Worlpt

Quick update: the effect didn't last as long as I would have thought. I am going back at it again.

jyb

Why do you use DHEA - is it specifically to prevent moles, or does it have more uses on the skin (like pregnenolone orally is supposed to)? I read that it is well absorbed by the skin.

The 100mg/day DHEA dose seems like a lot. After reading RP's article on DHEA, 2mg seems physiological.

Luann

I'm taking copper supplements, not sure if they're working or not.

Stumbled on an alarmist site that says all copper pills are sold with fillers in them that make the copper useless. Not sure what to make of this theory.

Seems good to me to get some real copper and try making this liquid stuff with it.

Luann

Copper acetate takes up to a week to form, apparently.
Used a clean '77 penny as a lozenge today, biting / grinding it to release copper oxide. Negligible effects, good regularity.
Always happy to take 1¢ for the team lol.

Optimus

Very interesting write-up OP...Need more people to experiment with the effects of Cu, Dhea, E, A on pigmentation

Luann

I just took four or so drops of whatever blue liquid comes about from leaving pennies to lemon juice and open air for 12 hours. It was not deeply hued, just light blue, and should have no bad effects over the next few hours but I will report what happens

:emoji_upside_down:

Mossy

I did notice a cooper-reddish boost to my beard with the introduction of a Peat diet (liver) about 6 months back. But, stress and aging tend to win out in the end -- my brother mentioned that I had more gray in my beard than the last time he's seen me (3 months ago).

I'm going to try liver twice a week, and more oysters. I'm not certain about the safety of getting copper from a penny. I guess you could technically make colloidal copper from a penny, but, I do remember hearing of concern in supplementing copper, apart from foods.

Any thoughts on getting copper from liquid chlorophyll?

Mossy

I did notice a cooper-reddish boost to my beard with the introduction of a Peat diet (liver) about 6 months back. But, stress and aging tend to win out in the end -- my brother mentioned that I had more gray in my beard than the last time he's seen me (3 months ago).

I'm going to try liver twice a week, and more oysters. I'm not certain about the safety of getting copper from a penny. I guess you could technically make colloidal copper from a penny, but, I do remember hearing of concern in supplementing copper, apart from foods.

Any thoughts on getting copper from liquid chlorophyll?
I thought I would clarify, and add that I will attempt to add more liver and oysters, as long as it doesn't seem to create an imbalance. It would seem, more zinc may be needed to balance an increase in cooper. I don't do well with zinc supplements, but at first glance, it seems the addition of oysters would add the extra zinc needed from the extra liver. I feel pretty good after eating oysters and liver, though I've gotten an increased heart rate and even tachycardia from liver before.

P.S. I know I'm straying a bit from the "copper solution" topic, as defined by the title of this thread, but I did offer up a copper solution, by way of the liquid chlorophyll; and, how to balance the extra copper is definitely relevant . ;)