Make Your Own Supplements?

Do you make your own supplements? What kind?

• Total voters

seano

Who here makes their own supplements?

Curious on your advise, best practices, links, guides, ...

Peatri Dish

I base my supplements on what I read in scientific studies. I buy gelatin capsules from Amazon. If I make transdermal, I mix with water and a small amount of isopropyl alcohol.

tara

I got some gelatine capsules a while ago, but I found it time consuming and didn't persist with using them.

I don't guarantee what I am doing is anything like best practice. For me it's about finding methods that are logistically manageable for me, that allow me to choose my own doses and proportions, and to avoid some of the common commercial tabletting aids etc. If anyone sees simple improvements I could make to my methods I'd be interested.

B-vits:
I make my own B vitamin mix in water from powders I bought from purebulk. This allows me to adjust doses ~ weekly if I wish. I measure up 8 days worth. If was going to make a bigger batch, adding some vodka might help as preservative. I drink a measured amount in juice with breakfast and dinner. I shake thouroughly before pouring because some of them do not dissolve well. I've been doing this for more than a year, and I think I can notice I get a small boost when I take them.
Haidut answered some related questions on his Energin thread.
Someone else recently posted that niacinamide is altered by acid, so now I'm wondering whether adding to juice is affecting the quality.
B2 at least is degraded by light. I store my brew in the fridge.

Amino acids and minerals:
I've recently made up a mix of amino acids and minerals, to make it easier to get these in more consistently. The recent batch includes:
Mg carbonate
Mg glycinate
Oyster shell (calcium carbonate)
Glycine
Taurine
Lysine
BCAAs
The first couple of times I did it I made up 8 day batches. This last time I've made a 32 day batch.
Mix it all together. I take a roughly measured amount, mix with water and drink.
My intention is to take this twice a day, but mostly I'm only doing it once a day. Possible it would be better to take three times a day with meals. In practice I always have it with something, if only a glass of juice.
I have a little concern about the powders staying well mixed. So I mix it up again from time to time. I would not trust this to be even enough for the minor minerals, and I don't mix with the vitamins in case of interactions during storage.

Skin:
I've got some topical potions too.
1. Related to Haidut's solban: aspirin, niacinamide and caffeine in water in a spray bottle. My brew is much more dilute than Haidut's, and has no ethanol. I use it generously on exposed skin most days, sometimes more than once if think I got burnt.

2. Sunscreen: Coconut oil, cocoa butter, beeswax, zinc oxide powder. The more beeswax, the better it sticks in the surf etc, and the harder it is to wash out of cloths. The more zinc oxide, the more I look like a ghost. I only use this when I expect prolonged exposure to hot sun. Effective if there is enough zinc evenly applied.

3. Moisturiser: Coconut oil, cocoa butter, beeswax. Sometimes I add a little vit-E and/or progesterone. Same thing about beeswax - it sticks longer if you have more. Including to clothes. Melt in a cup in a pot of boiling water. Add progesterone and vit-E at end. Stir, pour into mould, allow to set, use the block to rub over skin.
I use this to mitigate an eczema-like rash the last year or so. It helps.

Pet Peeve

When adding alcohol to homemade supplements, can you just use denatured ethanol, both internally and topically or wouldn't that be a good idea? I once found 96% ethanol for cooking etc. in a supermarket in East Europe together with the wine and liquor, but I think that would be highly illegal in western European countries.

EIRE24

I got some gelatine capsules a while ago, but I found it time consuming and didn't persist with using them.

I don't guarantee what I am doing is anything like best practice. For me it's about finding methods that are logistically manageable for me, that allow me to choose my own doses and proportions, and to avoid some of the common commercial tabletting aids etc. If anyone sees simple improvements I could make to my methods I'd be interested.

B-vits:
I make my own B vitamin mix in water from powders I bought from purebulk. This allows me to adjust doses ~ weekly if I wish. I measure up 8 days worth. If was going to make a bigger batch, adding some vodka might help as preservative. I drink a measured amount in juice with breakfast and dinner. I shake thouroughly before pouring because some of them do not dissolve well. I've been doing this for more than a year, and I think I can notice I get a small boost when I take them.
Someone else recently posted that niacinamide is altered by acid, so now I'm wondering whether adding to juice is affecting the quality.

I've recently made up a mix of amino acids and minerals, to make it easier to get these in more consistently. The recent batch includes:
Mg carbonate
Mg glycinate
Glycine
Taurine
Lysine
BCAAs
The first couple of times I did it I made up 8 day batches. This last time I've made a 32 day batch.
Mix it all together. I take a roughly measured amount, mix with water and drink.
My intention is to take this twice a day, but mostly I'm only doing it once a day. Possible it would be better to take three times a day with meals. In practice I always have it with something, if only a glass of juice.
I have a little concern about the powders staying well mixed. So I mix it up again from time to time. I would not trust this to be even enough for the minor minerals, and I don't mix with the vitamins in case of interactions during storage.

Skin:
1. Related to Haidut's solban: aspirin, niacinamide and caffeine in water in a spray bottle. My brew is much more dilute than Haidut's, and has no ethanol. I use it generously on exposed skin most days, sometimes more than once if think I got burnt.

2. Sunscreen: Coconut oil, cocoa butter, beeswax, zinc oxide powder. The more beeswax, the better it sticks in the surf etc, and the harder it is to wash out of cloths. The more zinc oxide, the more I look like a ghost. I only use this when I expect prolonged exposure to hot sun. Effective if there is enough zinc evenly applied.

3. Moisturiser: Coconut oil, cocoa butter, beeswax. Sometimes I add a little vit-E and/or progesterone. Same thing about beeswax - it sticks longer if you have more. Including to clothes. Melt in a cup in a pot of boiling water. Add progesterone and vit-E at end. Stir, pour into mould, allow to set, use the block to rub over skin.

Do you find the moisturiser is absorbed well? I suffer from acne but also dry skin. I am sort of scared to apply stuff to my face in case it breaks out even worse?

tara

When adding alcohol to homemade supplements, can you just use denatured ethanol, both internally and topically or wouldn't that be a good idea? I once found 96% ethanol for cooking etc. in a supermarket in East Europe together with the wine and liquor, but I think that would be highly illegal in western European countries.
Isn't vodka at 40% alcohol more than strong enough to use as a preservative?

Denatured is poison.

You can often buy almost pure ethanol in a liquor store in some states I the USA. Taxes are paid and that's what they care about. Everclear is one such brand.

mirc12354

B-vits:

Mg carbonate
Mg glycinate
Glycine
Taurine
Lysine
BCAAs

Skin:

@tara: could you please tell me how you made your own "solban" tried to made it myself.but had troubles with dissolving aspirin, even in powder form.
One more question. I know you don't make Solban in alcohol but If niacinamide really reacts with acidic substances wouldn't niacinamide in original Solban be somehow altered? Since Solban has 20 % alcohol?

tara

@tara: could you please tell me how you made your own "solban" tried to made it myself.but had troubles with dissolving aspirin, even in powder form.
I haven't been able to get pure aspirin powder or crystals, so no experience with that. I used dispersible tablets. Can't remember the exact proportions I used, but quite a lot more dilute than Haidut's solban. Easier to dissolve everything in more water, and makes it more affordable to use on a larger area.
One more question. I know you don't make Solban in alcohol but If niacinamide really reacts with acidic substances wouldn't niacinamide in original Solban be somehow altered? Since Solban has 20 % alcohol?
I don't know, but I'm interested too.

mirc12354

I haven't been able to get pure aspirin powder or crystals, so no experience with that. I used dispersible tablets. Can't remember the exact proportions I used, but quite a lot more dilute than Haidut's solban. Easier to dissolve everything in more water, and makes it more affordable to use on a larger area.
I was thinking of dissolvign aspirin in some very strong cherry schnapps that I got from a friend but it is just too strong to drink (aprox. 50 % alc.) and separately niacinamide and caffeine in water and then mixing all 3 solutions.

mirc12354

I just dissolved an aspirin in about half a liter of that cherry schapps which I warmed before and it dissolved just fine (about 10 grams in 0,5 liter of warm schnapps). Niacinamide was the easiest to dissolve I could disolve 40 g's in 1 dl of warm water. For 10 g's of caffeine I used 4 dl of hot water. When all of them dissolved and cooIed off I just mixed them all together. And it worked like a charm (altough I am sure haidut's stuff Works even better!).
Will try with the magnessim salycilate the next time, since Solban also uses that form but I still have more that half of liter of this homebrewed mixture to use.

ddjd

Sunscreen: Coconut oil, cocoa butter, beeswax, zinc oxide powder. The more beeswax, the better it sticks in the surf etc, and the harder it is to wash out of cloths. The more zinc oxide, the more I look like a ghost. I only use this when I expect prolonged exposure to hot sun. Effective if there is enough zinc evenly applied.
where do you buy the zinc oxide? does it have to be the nano powder one?

kevinjohore

Because I was already in the habit of a daily Max Gerson coffee enema, I found Dr Sarah Myhill's idea of supplementing "magnesium per enema" to be fast and simple.
- I mix a half gram of epsom salts with 10ml of water and insert it up the back passage with a small bulb enema.
- Optional add-ins include about 1/2g of MSM crystals, 500mg EDTA powder and 500mg potassium chloride powder.
- I often add one drop of metheylene blue as well.

You need to be near a toilet for an hour or so after doing this. No long car trips.

tara

where do you buy the zinc oxide? does it have to be the nano powder one?
I can't remember where I got mine - might have been purebulk. I was not aiming for nano. I want it to sit on the surface of the skin as a barrier, not penetrate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals