Dave Clark

When I have inflammation issues, i.e. back pain, shoulder, etc., I routinely apply Mg oil (magnesium chloride) then apply DMSO. Had read years ago that the DMSO helped the Mg oil to be absorbed, like it does for most anything else. Wondering if there is much of a difference between the chloride form and the pidolinate form? One is certainly more expensive than the other. I guess I will test it out, but I will have to notice a significant difference in order to convert over due to price point. Also, this question I am sure has already been answered, but is the DMSO pharma grade (I'm sure it probably is)?

managing

I mentioned some of the effects in the threads, but they are the typical magnesium effects - increase frequency of bowel movement (but no diarrhea), calmness in lower doses (20 drops) and sedation in doses of 40 drops of higher, better muscle tone, intense body heat to the point of people sitting nearby commenting on me looking like a furnace, better digestion and no blood sugar swings from starchy meals, less urination, better look&feel of hair/nail/skin, disappearance of a few wrinkles, seemingly disappearing grey hair ( have only like 3-4 in my hair but still nice to see them gone), etc. The list can probably go on if I spend more time observing myself.

Does that require application to the grey hair area, or is it systemic?

Koveras

@haidut
Why the high dosage for Magnoil? Wouldn't one drop be sufficient for correcting a magnesium deficiency for most?

In his OP, it says one drop = 333mg. This is a typo I assume.

If you go into the idea labs store and look at the bottle, it says one serving (20 drops) = 333mg.

According to the Wikipedia entry, Magnesium L-pidolate contains 8.664% Mg by weight. So 1 serving of Magnoil at 333mg would translate to 28.85 mg Mg. Isn't this a bit low @haidut ?

Magnesium L-Pidolate = 8.664% Mg
Magnesium Citrate = 11.23% Mg
Magnesium Glycinate = 14.1% Mg
Magnesium Taurate = 8.9% Mg

Pretty typical... Bioavailability is everything.

Obi-wan

Nice Haidut! I am ordering

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
This sounds wonderful.
I have sprayed DMSO first then Mag oil when I had some acute muscle strain and cramps, and the relief- meaning pain disappears- occurs within the hour.
Would this Magnoil be superior then?

In my experience - yes. I have also tried the Magnesium chloride + DMSO method and is effects (on me at least) pale in comparison to the Magnoil.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
what abut the magnesium salicylate topocal absorbtion?? as per in Solban???

The dose does not come nearly as close as the on in Magnoil. But we are trying that salt as well in the hopes that we can produce a version of Magnoil without DMSO.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I see that this does not contain alcohol. Does that mean that we should wash the skin before using this?

Probably not a bad idea for anything that is to be applied topically. I clean mine with some rubbing alcohol before application.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Have you tried this with a thyroid supplement to see how they work together? Peat often talks about how they are synergistic.

I use thyroid only occasionally but I will try it the next time I take thyroid and report.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
It must be, as he wouldn't even break-even with ~200 grams per bottle (not to mention that's a ridiculous amount of solute.) It's around a 1400% mark-up including the cost of DMSO but not including the cost of labor, shipping and holding costs for the raw material, and lastly the time invested into R&D.

Of course, haidut's always so helpful when it comes to advice maybe we should all be paying his salary as a doctor by now.

There is the cost of bottles, shipping materials, bottle labels, envelope labels, ziplock bags, insurance, office space, fees for equipment and renting a space licensed to bottle cosmetic ingredients, and of course labor for bottling, packaging, shipping, and dealing with returns/lost/stolen items, etc. The supplement business for small-time outfits like ours is not high. Only the big companies like VitaminShoppe, Walmart, target, etc can afford to scale things in a way to achieve the margin you mentioned. Btw, how did you come up with 1400%?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
When I have inflammation issues, i.e. back pain, shoulder, etc., I routinely apply Mg oil (magnesium chloride) then apply DMSO. Had read years ago that the DMSO helped the Mg oil to be absorbed, like it does for most anything else. Wondering if there is much of a difference between the chloride form and the pidolinate form? One is certainly more expensive than the other. I guess I will test it out, but I will have to notice a significant difference in order to convert over due to price point. Also, this question I am sure has already been answered, but is the DMSO pharma grade (I'm sure it probably is)?

There is a big difference. DMSO helps absorption the most when it is the actual solvent. The magnesium oil sold as spray by other vendors contains magnesium chloride which does not really dissolve in DMSO. So, adding DMSO on top of it likely does not do much for absorption, at least not nearly as much as it does when it is the actual solvent. I explain this in the original thread.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
According to the Wikipedia entry, Magnesium L-pidolate contains 8.664% Mg by weight. So 1 serving of Magnoil at 333mg would translate to 28.85 mg Mg. Isn't this a bit low @haidut ?

Not if all of it is absorbed and retained. Also, just like for steroids, DMSO seems to potentiate the effects of this mineral. I would not call it a 10x magnifying effect as it is say for DHEA but it does feel a lot more potent then an oral dose of magnesium that is supposed to achieve the same amount (~30mg) absorption. Only way to compare is to try it out so I am sure we will have some user reports soon.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Does that require application to the grey hair area, or is it systemic?

Probably helps more if it is applied closer to the grey hairs.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
How different is it from magnesium chloride?

A ton. I describe this in the original thread. I would have used magnesium chloride (since it is so much cheaper and easier to find) if the effects were similar. The chloride salt does not dissolve in DMSO.

DaveFoster

There is the cost of bottles, shipping materials, bottle labels, envelope labels, ziplock bags, insurance, office space, fees for equipment and renting a space licensed to bottle cosmetic ingredients, and of course labor for bottling, packaging, shipping, and dealing with returns/lost/stolen items, etc. The supplement business for small-time outfits like ours is not high. Only the big companies like VitaminShoppe, Walmart, target, etc can afford to scale things in a way to achieve the margin you mentioned. Btw, how did you come up with 1400%?
Indeed, I was referring to just the material and none of your other expenses. I used the Sigma Aldrich magnesium L-pidolate 500 grams for $99.50.

Mito

Is there a potential for magnesium L-pidolate to increase free glutamic acid?

This website (https://fixyourgut.com/magnesium-most-overlooked-mineral-for-improving-health-2/) raised that concern, however they did not provide a reference for the claim.
  • Magnesium pidolate – Absorption is DEFINITELY not worth the extra free glutamic acid. Too much, free glutamic acid can be excitotoxic and neurotoxic. Can you say MSG? Taken with meals.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is there a potential for magnesium L-pidolate to increase free glutamic acid?

This website (https://fixyourgut.com/magnesium-most-overlooked-mineral-for-improving-health-2/) raised that concern, however they did not provide a reference for the claim.
  • Magnesium pidolate – Absorption is DEFINITELY not worth the extra free glutamic acid. Too much, free glutamic acid can be excitotoxic and neurotoxic. Can you say MSG? Taken with meals.

Not really, I saw that reference and it does not provide proof of those claims. L-PGA can convert into glutamate but only at higher doses. The liver drug metadoxine mentioned in the Cardenosine thread has been given in doses providing grams of L-PGA per day with no glutamate toxicity issues observed, even in children with ADHD (for whom even higher doses L-PGA are used).

Dhair

@haidut Ordered last night. Any reported effects on libido with this for yourself or others?

Last edited: