Magnetic-field-induced DNA Strand Breaks In Brain Cells Of The Rat

jzeno

Magnetic-field-induced DNA strand breaks in brain cells of the rat.

>Abstract
>In previous research, we found that rats acutely (2 hr) exposed to a 60-Hz sinusoidal magnetic field at intensities of 0.1-0.5 millitesla (mT) showed increases in DNA single- and double-strand breaks in their brain cells. Further research showed that these effects could be blocked by pretreating the rats with the free radical scavengers melatonin and N-tert-butyl-alpha-phenylnitrone, suggesting the involvement of free radicals. In the present study, effects of magnetic field exposure on brain cell DNA in the rat were further investigated. Exposure to a 60-Hz magnetic field at 0.01 mT for 24 hr caused a significant increase in DNA single- and double-strand breaks. Prolonging the exposure to 48 hr caused a larger increase. This indicates that the effect is cumulative. In addition, treatment with Trolox (a vitamin E analog) or 7-nitroindazole (a nitric oxide synthase inhibitor) blocked magnetic-field-induced DNA strand breaks. These data further support a role of free radicals on the effects of magnetic fields. Treatment with the iron chelator deferiprone also blocked the effects of magnetic fields on brain cell DNA, suggesting the involvement of iron. Acute magnetic field exposure increased apoptosis and necrosis of brain cells in the rat. We hypothesize that exposure to a 60-Hz magnetic field initiates an iron-mediated process (e.g., the Fenton reaction) that increases free radical formation in brain cells, leading to DNA strand breaks and cell death. This hypothesis could have an important implication for the possible health effects associated with exposure to extremely low-frequency magnetic fields in the public and occupational environments.

Related Ray Peat interview:

"Ray Peat on dangerous household appliances that interact with the body"

I switched back to a safety razor and ditched my electric razor after hearing this. Also will ditch electric toothbrush for traditional one.

Out with the new in the with the old!

OP
jzeno

jzeno

Important to this subject: Haidut has a thread on aspirin as an effective chelator of iron.

Aspirin Chelates Iron

Supplementing with aspirin and Vitamin E seems like a good idea to reduce DNA damage that is caused by EMF damage. Easy to do and just another reason Vitamin E and aspirin are both very beneficial.

Fractality

Does anyone know what the "equivalent" dose used in the study and match it with various household/personal appliances?

Cirion

MF's like EF's and RF's can really mess you up that's for sure.

Before I put up some aluminum foil in my car, I was getting blasted like 200 milligauss (I think that's 20 mT?) in the head. I have a history of almost falling asleep every time I drive my car. Well, turns out that's why. I still get fatigued in the car but it's not quite as bad. I still get hit by up to 5-10 milliguass (.5-1 mT).

Fractality

MF's like EF's and RF's can really mess you up that's for sure.

Before I put up some aluminum foil in my car, I was getting blasted like 200 milligauss (I think that's 20 mT?) in the head. I have a history of almost falling asleep every time I drive my car. Well, turns out that's why. I still get fatigued in the car but it's not quite as bad. I still get hit by up to 5-10 milliguass (.5-1 mT).

Do you know what caused that exposure? Do you have a lot of electrical components? I tend to feel better in my car if my phone is in airplane mode. I've read a car acts like a Faraday cage.

Cirion

Do you know what caused that exposure? Do you have a lot of electrical components? I tend to feel better in my car if my phone is in airplane mode. I've read a car acts like a Faraday cage.

Not exactly, but I have a couple of suspicions. Some possible sources of EMF in a car

- Fuse box (typically on driver's side)
- Electronics (especially the radio and all that jazz)
- USB ports
- Alarm system
- Bluetooth system
- OnStar system

And yes, I avoid using my phone in my car as much as I can.

Light

Thanks, that's helpful but I meant this level of exposure 60-Hz sinusoidal magnetic field at intensities of 0.1-0.5 millitesla (mT)
Measuring magnetic fields
The hair dryer comes pretty close to 0.01
upload_2019-3-5_1-34-21.png

If I remember correctly from school, distance from source makes a huge difference when it comes to magnetic field, because it depends on the distance squered.

So for example, if you double the distance from the source, the strength of the field is 4 times less, if you triple the distance the strength is 9 times weaker, and so forth.

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-5_1-14-44.png
    upload_2019-3-5_1-14-44.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 10
  • upload_2019-3-5_1-21-14.png
    upload_2019-3-5_1-21-14.png
    6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Cirion

thanks for the unit clarification. I got millitesla confused with microtesla.

Dragan

I am confused now. What about pulsed magnetic field therapy PEMF? Some PEMF devices are 1000 times stronger then this one from the study, though it's not sinusoidal. Is it safe?