Magnesium Threonate Experiences?

marcar72

I tried to find some locally to no avail. It should be a good form of magnesium to focus on intestinal health I would think since threonine is an essential amino acid and is abundant in the intestines. It's also probably highly bioavailable. I'm currently using magnesium bisglycinate and magnesium taurate orally. I also like the occasional epsom salt bath for transdermal magnesium.

The only downfall I remember from magensium threonate was the cost. It's like the most costly magnesium supplement out there. :2cents:

OP
ddjd

ddjd

I found a cheap supplier in UK on eBay.

You should try magnesium malate powder from seeking health - very good option also

Lurker

It’s supposed to get through the blood brain barrier and so have mental benefits. I tried it a couple years ago and seemed to make for some clearer thinking. It’s really expensive so I didn’t keep it up. Ceylon cinnamon has been my go to lately to help with the brain fog.

CoolTweetPete

It has a profound effect on memory. I very much notice the difference when I stop taking it and when I start back up. I will probably continue using it indefinitely. And yes, the price is higher than I'm usually comfortable with, but the effect on recall is that noticeable. I've used many other forms, and it's not even close.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

It has a profound effect on memory. I very much notice the difference when I stop taking it and when I start back up. I will probably continue using it indefinitely. And yes, the price is higher than I'm usually comfortable with, but the effect on recall is that noticeable. I've used many other forms, and it's not even close.
Thanks for this very interesting. What dose do you take?

CoolTweetPete

CoolTweetPete

Thanks for this very interesting. What dose do you take?

I'm using a brand I got on Amazon. I was trying to save from the NaturalStacks price, so I accidentally bought a brand that has Vitamin C and D added. DOH!

I will probably switch back to one daily dose of the NaturalStacks product I posted above when I finish this bottle.

Soren

Forum Supporter
Elevation of Brain Magnesium Potentiates Neural Stem Cell Proliferation in the Hippocampus of Young and Aged Mice.
Elevation of Brain Magnesium Potentiates Neural Stem Cell Proliferation in the Hippocampus of Young and Aged Mice. - PubMed - NCBI

"In the adult brain, neural stem cells (NSCs) can self-renew and generate all neural lineage types, and they persist in the sub-granular zone (SGZ) of the hippocampus and the sub-ventricular zone (SVZ) of the cortex. Here, we show that dietary-supplemented - magnesium-L-threonate (MgT), a novel magnesium compound designed to elevate brain magnesium regulates the NSC pool in the adult hippocampus. We found that administration of both short- and long-term regimens of MgT, increased the number of hippocampal NSCs. We demonstrated that in young mice, dietary supplementation with MgT significantly enhanced NSC proliferation in the SGZ. Importantly, in aged mice that underwent long-term (12-month) supplementation with MgT, MgT did not deplete the hippocampal NSC reservoir but rather curtailed the age-associated decline in NSC proliferation. We further established an association between extracellular magnesium concentrations and NSC self-renewal in vitro by demonstrating that elevated Mg(2+) concentrations can maintain or increase the number of cultured hippocampal NSCs. Our study also suggests that key signaling pathways for cell growth and proliferation may be candidate targets for Mg(2+) 's effects on NSC self-renewal."

Magnesium boosts the memory restorative effect of environmental enrichment in Alzheimer's disease mice.

Magnesium boosts the memory restorative effect of environmental enrichment in Alzheimer's disease mice. - PubMed - NCBI

Obvious potential benefit for neurological disorders, I am thinking specifically of Parkinson's disease where the hippocampus is atrophied I know some experience digestive issues with this but I think that is likely due to fillers rather than the magnesium itself. The question I have is how does MgT compare to other forms of magnesium such as topical, glycinate, carbonate for its ability to cross the blood brain barrier.

aguilaroja

Elevation of Brain Magnesium Potentiates Neural Stem Cell Proliferation in the Hippocampus of Young and Aged Mice.
Elevation of Brain Magnesium Potentiates Neural Stem Cell Proliferation in the Hippocampus of Young and Aged Mice. - PubMed - NCBI
....The question I have is how does MgT compare to other forms of magnesium such as topical, glycinate, carbonate for its ability to cross the blood brain barrier.

Virtually all the magnesium threonate findings on brain function seem to come from a single research group network, associated with Tsinghua University.

Some of the information about comparing effectiveness of other forms of magnesium refer to a 2010 paper, also associated with Tsinghua University, which in turn refers to unpublished data:
Enhancement of learning and memory by elevating brain magnesium. - PubMed - NCBI
“In a separate study, the bioavailability (evaluated by absorption, excretion, and retention rate of magnesium) of four commercially available Mg2+ compounds (magnesium-chloride, -citrate, -glycinate, and -gluconate) and two Mg2+ preparations we developed (magnesium-L-threonate, MgT, and magnesium-gluconate in milk) was compared in rats. We found that both MgT and magnesium-gluconate in milk have higher bioavailability (X.Z., F. Mao, Y. Shang, N.A., and G.L., unpublished data).”
Another study that includes Mg form comparisons is here:
Regulation of structural and functional synapse density by L-threonate through modulation of intraneuronal magnesium concentration. - PubMed - NCBI

Many relevant studies list one major author who is the CEO of Neurocentria, a pharmaceutical company testing the Mg Threonate salt, and co-founder of Magceutics, which developed the patented Magtein (magnesium-L-threonate).
NEWS | Neurocentria
Home | Magceutics

One webpage suggests that each gram (1000 mg) of magnesium threonate yields 77 mg of elemental magnesium.
Neuro-Mag Magnesium L-Threonate, 90 capsules | Life Extension
The promotional argument would be more magnesium is delivered and benefits the tissues compared to lower priced products with more elemental magnesium.

It is possible that other forms of magnesium in functional amounts would be significantly helpful. It is also possible magnesium threonate is uniquely useful. It would help to see more supporting evidence by separate research groups.

I had a bottle that I ended up giving away to someone more in need of magnesium than myself. I found it to be much like other magnesium just a little more fast acting, I could feel it kick in and plateau strongly within 30 minutes.

CoolTweetPete

@CoolTweetPete Are you still liking Magnesium Threonate? I might go for a second bottle myself.

I stopped because of the price point & because I am attempting to lower the amount of pills I consume. If I purchase it again, I will probably try and get it in powder form. I have switched to topical magnesium chloride & leafy green vegetables (boiled spinach) for magnesium.

Luann

The powder form is great for adding to coffee. The purity is better not to mention the cost.
I take it to increase DAO.
It's one of the nutrients that's harder to get from the Peat diet, as well as E, K2, silica.

i take threonate sometimes. It's been decent. My wife takes it. She doesn't like powders. I often use magnesium carbonate powder.

@ecstatichamster Mag Threonate is recommended to be taken before sleeping, have you any experience with it having a 'notable' effect on sleep, please :):, it seems expensive, although NOW magtein seems 'reasonably' priced.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals