Magnesium Supplementation

M

metabolizm

I've decided to try supplementing magnesium in the hope of relieving chronic muscle tension and pain in my pelvic region.

I'm sure I get some magnesium in my diet from milk and green leaves, but perhaps larger doses are warranted when the muscle tension persists.

What I want to know: there seems to be about sixty different forms of magnesium supplement, many of which are considered unsafe, and I don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend a safe and reliable magnesium supplement?

Connor888

I've decided to try supplementing magnesium in the hope of relieving chronic muscle tension and pain in my pelvic region.

I'm sure I get some magnesium in my diet from milk and green leaves, but perhaps larger doses are warranted when the muscle tension persists.

What I want to know: there seems to be about sixty different forms of magnesium supplement, many of which are considered unsafe, and I don't know where to start. Can anyone recommend a safe and reliable magnesium supplement?

I think magnesium glycinate is probably your best bet. I take Pure Encapsulations magnesium and feel noticeably more chilled out and relaxed not long after taking it. I feel better taking it away from food however, not sure if that's just me

Jessie

Mag glycinate, mag lysinate, mag carbonate, magnoil (mag l-pidolate), mag chloride, and epsom salt (mag sulfate) are all good choices.

OP
M

metabolizm

Thank you for all these suggestions. I'll have to try the Epsom salts first. Is the absorption through the skin good?

yerrag

Magnesium bicarbonate water has been one of the most cost effective and beneficial ways for getting magnesium for me.

Magnesium bicarbonate supplementation - Toxinless
Agree.

Buy seltzer water and then add magnesium hydroxide to it. 500ml : 1g gives you 400mg elemental magnesium. Easy way to make it without having to buy mag bicarb water which is expensive.

Maljam

Thank you for all these suggestions. I'll have to try the Epsom salts first. Is the absorption through the skin good?

Good compared to orally, no. Topical is dependent on several factors and is much harder to judge and track than oral. That doesnt mean it is useless though.

Gone Peating

Good compared to orally, no. Topical is dependent on several factors and is much harder to judge and track than oral. That doesnt mean it is useless though.

I get very sleepy after a bath with two cups of epsom salt so for me at least I think I absorb a lot of the magnesium

Jessie

I think certain products absorb very well topically. Epsom salt soaks being one of them. Also Idealabs Magnoil and the Ancient Minerals mag chloride both absorb very well topically.

OP
M

metabolizm

I think certain products absorb very well topically. Epsom salt soaks being one of them. Also Idealabs Magnoil and the Ancient Minerals mag chloride both absorb very well topically.

How much would you put in a bath?

Jessie

1-3 cups for most people is ideal. I usually do 2 cups, and I soak in it for around 30-40 minutes. I've went as high as 4 cups before, but I could tell that was too much. When I got out and stood up, I could tell my blood pressure was really low.

Recoen

1-3 cups for most people is ideal. I usually do 2 cups, and I soak in it for around 30-40 minutes. I've went as high as 4 cups before, but I could tell that was too much. When I got out and stood up, I could tell my blood pressure was really low.
Do you think the low BP was from the Mg or S?

Jessie

Do you think the low BP was from the Mg or S?
My guess would be from the magnesium, but I don't really know for sure.

It might have been from depleted liver glycogen too. Warm baths increase the metabolic rate, and they'll drain your glycogen stores. Sometimes I'll have some juice or sugared milk to sip on, but honestly I forget a lot. It's just not something you think of before getting in the tub, and once I'm already in I'm just like "ehhhh, f**k it I'm too lazy." lol

ebs

I use both magnesium citrate and glycinate. The citrate I find the most calming and closest to a benzodiazepine.

Frankdee20

The problem with Glycinate is the low elemental magnesium by weight and so you need like 4 capsules to get 400 MG.... That’s also a lot of glycine.... the problem with relying on solely citrate is the laxative effect.... try a formulation with different versions of magnesium.... Glycinate, Oxide and Malate are combined in the product called Triple Mag...