Magnesium Supplementation

blueorca

How do you guys take high magnesium dosages daily without the diarrea
? I take 2 magnesium oxide tablets (400mg per tablet ) and 2 magnesium citrate tablets(200mg per tablet) but I'm having constant diarrea. Any ideas?

OP
B

blueorca

Magnesium oil I bought on Amazon
Thanks and where do you apply the magnesium oil? Also this can be done homemade with magnesium chloride am I correct or would it not be as effective as store bought magnesium oil.

ShotTrue

Thanks and where do you apply the magnesium oil? Also this can be done homemade with magnesium chloride am I correct or would it not be as effective as store bought magnesium oil.
I think homemade is probably fine, the person who recommended it to me makes homemade. I usually use the limbs but I think the torso is also fine

Inaut

I actually gave up on oxides. Spent the entire weekend blowing out... its good as an intestinal/colon enema of sorts but not for daily usage.

Spondive

I actually gave up on oxides. Spent the entire weekend blowing out... its good as an intestinal/colon enema of sorts but not for daily usage.
It’s interesting I don’t get diarrhea from the oxide form but all the others act as a laxative

Inaut

Maybe it becomes easier to absorb the cleaner your intestinal tract is?

Inaut

guys, i think magnesium is destroying me.... My hemmies have flared up very badly lately and I'm in alot of pain.... I've been trying a teaspoon of mag carbonate reacted with vinegar in the morning...probably too much? i want to keep taking magnesium but maybe a lesser dose is more effective?

two questions, should all minerals be taken with food? what's an idea dosage on an empty stomach (or just some juice in the am)?

@Amazoniac i like you man. need some tips

ExCarniv

Stick to magnesium Glycinate because is more gentle to the gut than oxide, carbonate or chloride

Magnesium oil is your other option.

managing

guys, i think magnesium is destroying me.... My hemmies have flared up very badly lately and I'm in alot of pain.... I've been trying a teaspoon of mag carbonate reacted with vinegar in the morning...probably too much? i want to keep taking magnesium but maybe a lesser dose is more effective?

two questions, should all minerals be taken with food? what's an idea dosage on an empty stomach (or just some juice in the am)?

@Amazoniac i like you man. need some tips
Mg acetate is pretty gentle. But I think a tsp is like 4x the most i ever took. And with food is probably best, especially as there will be some acid leftover most likely.

Frankdee20

The Oxide and Citrate versions are known laxatives. The advantage of using Oxide is obviously due to more elemental Magnesium by weight per capsule. One can get used to these effects after a while. Magnesium will also cause hems to flare up, it does irritate the colon wall. Glycinate seems very gentle on the system. But one capsule is never more than 120 MG. You have to take 4 a day just to get the RDA. Plus, you are getting quite a bit of Glycine with that, and this can have its own effects. It makes me feel quite spacey, and Magnesium can do this on its own also.

Amazoniac

carbonate

I would go with industrial magnesium carboxylates, the safe salts of organic acids that we is used to have substantial exposure daily, such as acetate, citrate, malate, etc; Franklin's water (making sure that you're avoiding the sediment); perhaps magnesium glycinate. Magnesium chloride digests very well, it's alright if you manage to balance with sodium (bicarbonate), you can take the latter minutes before the meal and proceed when appetite returns. In case you can find a grass-fed magnesium bar to dissolve in acid, it might also work because it's guaranteed that there won't be unreacted fragments (harder on digestion) in the solution.

It's a milder version of the concern with eggshells, but in their case we have further complicators like being a conglomerate of minerals held by protein. As a surprise, there are experiments with them digesting better than the purified carbonate product, seems suspicious, yet what makes it less accessible might demand more digestive effort and you end up making greater amounts usable.

As a last resource, there's Zeus' topical product, absorption is nearly complete, so a little already makes a difference.

Last edited:

Frankdee20

Chloride is nice, but one cannot rely on it alone to get the RDA in supplemental usage. It really builds up a lot of hydrochloric acid.

Frankdee20

Acetate is not always commercially available except in Cardiovascular Research Magnesium Solution 18 Percent liquid product.

Amazoniac

- Methods of preparation of magnesium organic compounds from natural dolomite

"Basic magnesium carbonate [MgCO3·Mg(OH)2·2H2O] (5.5 g) suspended in a small amount of distilled water was added batchwise into 32 cm³ of stirred 20% acetic acid [6.4 g?] solution to obtain a slightly alkaline solution. The mixture was filtered, concentrated to a thick syrup consistency and dried in the dryer at 70º C for 6 h. The product was refined and dried at 100º C for 1 h. 10.5 g magnesium acetate was obtained at the reaction yield 95% (Fig. 1)."​

@Dolomite, do you find it threatening?

BulkSupplements sells magnesium carbonate. They claim 1/2 of a teaspoon carries 1.9 g and gives you about 0.5 of Mg. For a complete reaction with acetic acid, you'd need 2.6 g of acetic acid (if I got it right).

The concentration of acetic acid in vinegar may be 6%, but it can be less, such as 4%. To obtain 2.6 g of acetic acid from a 6% acetic acid vinegar, it requires 45 g of it. Since a tablespoon is almost 15 g, that's 3 tablespoons.

Therefore it's 6 tablespoons of vinegar for every teaspoon of magnesium carbonate. It's quite possible that the need for vinegar is underestimated in homemade preparations and that the reaction doesn't run perfectly. If the stomach acid doesn't make up for it, it will lead to adverse reactions and premature death.

Last edited:

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
No, not threatened but glad to get the name recognition. And it does look like an interesting process. Thank you for that paper.

Inaut

@Amazoniac thanks for posting vinegar to mag carbonate ratio. I came up with the same dosage through experimentation as well.

Inaut

Haven’t noticed as I’ve been taking magnesium on full-up stomach. My butt thanks me now...

Will keep in mind next time I vinegar my mag though :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals