Magnesium supplement?

iLoveSugar

What is the best magnesium supplement to use? I mainly want to use for very hard stools. I strain very bad every day. Cascara doesn't really help.

What is the best magnesium supplement to use? I mainly want to use for very hard stools. I strain very bad every day. Cascara doesn't really help.
I know it is not a direct answer to your question ILiveSugar, but I have found that avoiding too much liquid as well as dry foods like chips FINALLY gave me a wonderful "constitution". Dry things with some moisture and a little fat keeps things moving much better, like mashed potatoes go in and out nicely where french fries doesn't, a moist bowl of bowl of oatmeal with butter, in and out good, oatmeal cookie not so much. I hate to see you rely on something all the time. I hope my FINALLY figuring how to make my machine work efficiently helps to get your machine "going" too! ?

Sefton10

A upped my magnesium intake quite a bit in the last couple of months. What works for me is a teaspoon of magnesium carbonate mixed with cider vinegar a couple of times a day with OJ. I also take a glycinate/malate combo a couple of times a day.

amd

Listen to RP interviews (or do a search), many questions here have been answered (many times, sometimes missing the point of what RP says).

RP -> Magnesium Carbonate (safest supplement product) -> Magnesium Chloride (turns into this with stomach acid) != Magnesium Chloride (as a product you buy)

When asked about Magnesium Glycinate as a safe product (not my experience, but not terrible), he answers: "Yes".

Last edited:

youngsinatra

I find magnesium glycinate to be best tolerated. Even in the 600-800mg realm.

theotokos

I guess you've tried playing with the different doses of Cascara, right? For good stools I find that magnesium bicarbonate (homemade) works best for me, but I can't do it on a daily basis because my stomach gets weird. Magnesium glycinate is great to take daily but I don't notice much in that regard.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals