Magnesium Sulphate Water

inthedark

I've been making magnesium water by dissolving mag sulphate (epsom salts) and baking soda in water with CO2 from my soda stream. Does anyone know what the resulting form of magnesium would be in this reaction? Really curious as I want to make sure I'm getting a decent type. The water tastes delicious to me and it all dissolves nicely making perfectly clear water.

michael94

Are you sure it reacts? What amounts do you use? that sounds good.

It was noticed that animals living near springs high in magnesium sulfate had lots of health benefits. In Epsom england

OP
I

inthedark

It was noticed that animals living near springs high in magnesium sulfate had lots of health benefits. In Epsom england

Usually I use a teaspoon or two of mag sulphate and a quarter or half teaspoon of baking soda. Sometimes I'll reverse the ratio though depending on what I'm feeling. At times I'll also add a bit of sea salt and have even used the soda stream to dissolve calcium from eggshells into water then strained out the eggshell sediment.

I've read (somewhere I can't find now) that the combination of the mag sulphate, baking soda, and co2 under pressure in the water can make mag bicarbonate but I'd like to verify that with someone who understands chemistry.

OP
I

inthedark

As far as it reacting, at the amounts I typically use there is no residue or cloudiness whatsoever.

michael94

As far as it reacting, at the amounts I typically use there is no residue or cloudiness whatsoever.
I mixed 1 tsp mag sulfate and 1 tsp baking soda in 16 oz water. Dissolved fine and was clear. I heated it up to see what happens and it did seem to start reacting. Brought the mixture to a boil and simmered for a few minutes. It started to get cloudy and there was a layer of sediment at the bottom by the time it cooled off. Im guessing this is magnesium bicarbonate?

OP
I

inthedark

I mixed 1 tsp mag sulfate and 1 tsp baking soda in 16 oz water. Dissolved fine and was clear. I heated it up to see what happens and it did seem to start reacting. Brought the mixture to a boil and simmered for a few minutes. It started to get cloudy and there was a layer of sediment at the bottom by the time it cooled off. Im guessing this is magnesium bicarbonate?

I think this might leave you with magnesium carbonate, as I'm not sure magnesium bicarbonate can exist as a solid. But again my grasp on these things is really rudimentary. By boiling off some of the liquid maybe you precipitated some magnesium out of solution, and/or some sodium.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals