Magnesium Stearate

Discussion in 'Magnesium' started by j., Jul 8, 2013.

1. j.

j. Guest

Magnesium stearate is found in many supplements. Is it bad or neutral? What's Ray Peat's opinion about it?

2. OP
    j.

j. Guest

My experience suggests it might be one of the least evil additives. I take Life Extension Pregnenolone, which has it, and I don't react badly to it, while I seem to react badly to a lot of supplements.

3. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

Personally, I don't think it's all that bad j - based upon this comment from RP about the previous formula for Amour thyroid.

4. Dan Wich

Dan Wich Member

I tend to agree: hopefully I haven't caused any paranoia by listing it in the "bad" column on my site. I do that more as "playing it safe" than thinking it's terribly toxic.

5. Jenn

Jenn Member

I think it needs to be in context. It depends on the individual ...and how many other supplements are being taken that also have it in them.

6. Gabriel

Gabriel Member

After all, it is just magnesium + stearic acid (C18:0), a saturated fatty acid.

7. Dan Wich

Dan Wich Member

To be fair to the critics of magnesium stearate, I think they generally don't complain about the substance itself, but rather what might come along with the production process (potentially GMO cottonseed oil, along with something about metal catalysts that I've never fully understood :lol:).

8. OP
    j.

j. Guest

9. 4peatssake

4peatssake Member

Dan mentions Sahelian and a few others on both sides of this issue in a pretty comprehensive article on his website.

Toxinless

10. tomisonbottom

tomisonbottom Member

Ray Peat is quoted as saying:

"Most people don't have allergic reactions to the rice and magnesium stearate."

11. OP
    j.

j. Guest

[​IMG]

Link

I don't believe it though.

[​IMG]

12. Parsifal

Parsifal Member

I've read that it is not an organic mineral (so the body cannot really use it because it is not chelated to a chaperone protein) and that it gives you diarrhea?