Magnesium Oxide Is (surprisingly) Better Than Citrate

AnonE

Mg Citrate has been hell via diarrhea.... I tried it after learning that the oxide is poorly absorbed.

Maybe it's fine to go back to oxide?

Also anyone have experience with Epsom salt baths? I've never done anything so great for my hair. I might make it a regular thing. Just 10 min bath and dipping my head under a bit, and my hair felt thicker and looked darker the day after like it never has.

RealNeat

I work at a health food store. We had an educator from Jarrow come to train on a few products. We asked why Mag Oxide was used since it has such poor absorption. He mentioned that when testing Mg levels they weren't using RBC magnesium I believe hence the poorly absorbed story. Does anyone have a Mag RBC test after taking Mag Oxide to show level increase?

LeeLemonoil

Highly recommend reading this article with a lot of new aspects concerning Mg supplementation (how taurine is synergistic for ex)

Magnesium - Beyond Bioavailability: Bioaccumulation in the Brain 1.2-Fold Higher for Mg-Taurate | No Effect on Muscle - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

And this features a Graph from an older study that measured red blood cell, bone and plasma levels after Mg supp in many different forms.
Acetate and Gluconate seem the best and are both a bit underdiscussed, but plain Oxide doesn’t look too bad either

Magnesium Round-Up: Know If You Are Deficient, Whether You Need More, Where to Find It, How Dietary Mg Contents Changed & How Magnesium Interacts W/ Vitamin D - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

Acetate is only 11% elemental Mg, don’t know if it’s recommenced to take grams of acetic acid every day. Gluconate... no idea.

baccheion

I think that 4percent absorption rate is because they measured acute effect of the supplement , they probably measured urine or blood level of subjects juat few hours after supplementation. But it gets longer than that to pass digestive system , that is why in study i posted after 30 days they get good result from oxide form.
Yea. Absorption is in the low 20s when measured over a longer period of time.

Maybe following the 1:1 calcium:magnesium approach with calcium carbonate and magnesium oxide isn't such a bad approach. How would one handle the neutralization of stomach acid and impaired digestion?

LeeLemonoil

Gluconate seems to be very readily used by the body. But I‘m unsure about gluconic acid. The fact that it’s a glucose-metabolism derivat of some microbiota is hard to interpret if it’s beneficial or risky to supplement

maillol

It's difficult to know.

This study found that zinc gluconate was no different than taking a placebo.
Comparative absorption of zinc picolinate, zinc citrate and zinc gluconate in humans. - PubMed - NCBI

Whereas this study found that zinc gluconate was absorbed better than zinc oxide.
Zinc Absorption by Young Adults from Supplemental Zinc Citrate Is Comparable with That from Zinc Gluconate and Higher than from Zinc Oxide

This study suggests that zinc oxide is absorbed just as well as zinc sulphate when used to fortify tortillas
Bioavailability of zinc oxide added to corn tortilla is similar to that of zinc sulfate and is not affected by simultaneous addition of iron

Zinc oxide is insoluble in water but does dissolve in hydrochloric acid (stomach acid). So my thinking is zinc oxide is probably fine but best taken with food to stimulate stomach acid. This also applies to magnesium oxide.

"Thus, magnesium citrate was more soluble and bioavailable than magnesium oxide. Magnesium bioavailability from magnesium citrate and magnesium oxide. - PubMed - NCBI

They actually found that citrate has higher presence in urine after consumption. It means higher bioavailability in their interpretation. Diabetics can't use glucose and excrete it in urine. I would dare to state that less urine values mean higher bioavailability.

This is advertisement article, take with a pinch of salt, but points to the same logic flaw in those studies. I'm not affiliated with this company.

We at Naveh-Pharma opposed this conventional “wisdom,” based on the fact that most organic
ligands tend to form a complex, or “chelate,” in which the magnesium is surrounded by the ligand's
molecules. These chelates are very stable, and the body has trouble dismantling them. Therefore,
the body is inefficient at releasing magnesium ions from organic suspensions in order to form free
magnesium ions, which are absorable intracellularly. Organic complexes cannot be absorbed by the
magnesium channel into cell membranes, and therefore remain in the bloodstream and are
eventually excreted.

The rate of complexation of every magnesium salts is measured by a STABILITY CONSTANT,
defined by IUPAC13
. The stability constant is inversely proportional to the intracellular absorption rate.
The higher the stability constant, the lower intracellular absorption is. Table 1 provides the
various stability constant rates of the different magnesium salts. For example, Magnesium Citrate has a
stability constant of 2.8.
Why previous surveys that concluded that organic magnesium salts are more bioavailable than
inorganic salts are false?
In a trial that examined the bioavailability of magnesium oxide versus magnesium citrate
(Lindberg et. Al.)11
, scientists concluded that Mg.citrate is more bioavailable than Mg.oxide . The
conclusion derived from the finding that, a greater amount of magnesium citrate than magnesium
oxide was found to be present in the urine. Although magnesium oxide is insoluble in water, it is highly
soluble in stomach acid, where it turns to magnesium chloride, ionic form of magnesium that is readily
absorbed by the cells. Therefore, in the Lindberg trial, because the oxide was well absorbed and
present more abundantly inside the cells, only a small amount was excreted through the kidneys. In
contrast, the magnesium citrate was found in larger quantities in the urine because as a complex it
could not cross the magnesium channels and reach the kidneys, which have no ability to dismantle it
either and therefore send the complex to the bladder and out of the body.

STABILITY CONSTANTS OF VARIOUS MAGNESIUM COMPLEXES
from Chapter 6 - Sequestrants in Foods, by Thomas E. Furia, in CRC Handbook of Food Additives, 2nd ed. 1972 latest revision October 26, 2006
Complex LIGAND Stability constant
Magnesium oxide monohydrate Oxide and water 0
Magnesium citrate Citric acid 2.80
Magnesium glutamate Glutamic acid 1.9
Magnesium glycinate Glycine 3.45
Magnesium lactate Lactic acid 0.93
Magnesium maleate Malic acid 2.24
Magnesium orotate Orotic acid 5.34
Magnesium aspartate Aspartic acid 2.43

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...WMAR6BAgBEAE&usg=AOvVaw2TLxPb3nk7e8ll1o288GY_

LeeLemonoil

Circulating Ionized Magnesium: Comparisons with Circulating Total Magnesium and the Response to Magnesium Supplementation in a Randomized Controlle... - PubMed - NCBI (2020) with oxide

Circulating Ionized Magnesium: Comparisons with Circulating Total Magnesium and the Response to Magnesium Supplementation in a Randomized Controlled Trial.

Ionized Mg (iMg) is considered the biologically active fraction of circulating total Mg (tMg). It is possible that iMg may be a more physiologically relevant marker than tMg. Using data from a double-blind pilot randomized controlled trial, we tested (1) whether oral Mg supplementation will increase iMg concentrations compared with placebo and (2) the relationship between iMg and tMg at baseline. Additionally, we evaluated the agreement between iMg measured in fresh whole blood versus stored samples. A total of fifty-nine participants were randomized 1:1 to oral Mg supplementation (400 mg/day, Mg Oxide) or placebo for 10 weeks. Fasting blood samples were obtained at baseline and follow-up. The analysis used linear regression and an intent-to-treat approach. Participants were generally healthy, the mean age was 62, and 73% were female. The baseline iMg and tMg were modestly and positively associated (r = 0.50). The ratio of baseline iMg to tMg was 64%. The mean supplement effect on iMg was 0.03 mmol/L (95% CI:0.01, 0.05) for Mg supplementation versus placebo. The supplement effect on iMg was not statistically significantly different according to baseline iMg status (above/below median). Compared to fresh blood, iMg was consistently higher in refrigerated and frozen samples by 0.14 and 0.20 mmol/L, respectively. In this relatively healthy adult population, Mg supplementation over 10 weeks resulted in increased iMg concentrations. Whether iMg is a more appropriate measure of Mg status than tMg, and the public health or clinical utility of measuring iMg remains to be determined.

Clinical and Metabolic Responses to Magnesium Supplementation in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. - PubMed - NCBI

Clinical and Metabolic Responses to Magnesium Supplementation in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

Farsinejad-Marj M1,2,3, Azadbakht L1,3,4,5, Mardanian F6, Saneei P1,3, Esmaillzadeh A7,8,9,10.
Author information
Abstract

We hypothesized that magnesium supplementation might help improve metabolic profiles and clinical symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) through its role in insulin action. The present study aimed to investigate the effect of magnesium supplementation on metabolic profiles and levels of sex hormones in women with PCOS. In this parallel randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial, 60 women with PCOS aged 20-45 years were recruited. After stratification for body mass index (BMI), age, and types of medications, participants were randomly assigned to consume magnesium supplements (containing 250 mg magnesium oxide) or placebo for 8 weeks. To assess biochemical indicators, a venous blood sample was taken after an overnight fasting. The mean age of study participants was 26.4 years. We found that magnesium supplementation for 8 weeks among women with PCOS had favorable effects on BMI compared with the placebo group (changes from baseline in intervention group: - 0.31 ± 0.07 vs. 0.07 ± 0.09 kg/m2 in control group). In addition, the supplementation lead to preventing the increase in waist circumference in intervention group compared with the control group (0.02 vs. 1.15 cm). No significant effects on glycemic variables and lipid profile were seen following the magnesium supplementation. A significant increase in serum LH levels in intervention group and a decrease in placebo group were observed (P = 0.01). Although we found a significant decrease in serum testosterone levels in intervention and placebo groups, comparing the changes between the two groups, a marginally significant difference in serum testosterone levels was found (51.65 vs. 47.80 in intervention, 43.41 vs. 39.46 in placebo, P = 0.08). A significant increase in serum dehydroepiandrogens (DHEA) (136.32 vs. 172.37 intervention, 102.74 vs. 120.15 placebo, P = 0.01) was seen in two groups. Magnesium supplementation had no significant effects on FSH, 17OH-progesteron, sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), and free androgen index (FAI) levels. We found evidence indicating that magnesium supplementation did not influence serum lipid profiles and glycemic indicators among women with PCOS. Magnesium supplementation resulted in reduced BMI and testosterone levels as well as increased DHEA concentrations in women with PCOS. Also, magnesium supplementation may increase

Magnesium oxide and hip fracture in the elderly: a population-based retrospective cohort analysis. - PubMed - NCBI

Magnesium oxide and hip fracture in the elderly: a population-based retrospective cohort analysis.

Wu YY1, Chang CL2,3, Wang JH4, Wei WT5.
Author information
Abstract

Using national insurance claims of Taiwan, we found that magnesium oxide (MgO) use is associated with an increased risk of hip fracture in the elderly. Further studies are warranted to explore the mechanisms associated with MgO use that lead to hip fracture.

PURPOSE:
The purpose of this study was to investigate the association between MgO use and hip fracture risk in the elderly (age > 65 years).

METHODS:
This nationwide population-based retrospective study was conducted from 1996 to 2013. Individuals with (n = 26,069) and without (n = 26,069) MgO use were enrolled after propensity score matching. Primary outcome was a hip fracture. After adjusting for age, sex, comorbidities, and medications, multivariate Cox proportional hazards regression models were used to calculate incidences and risk of hip fracture [hazard ratio (HR)].

RESULTS:
During the mean follow-up duration of 4.8 years in the MgO cohort and 5.7 years in the non-MgO cohort, respectively 1547 and 1107 cases developed a hip fracture. MgO use was identified as a risk factor for hip fracture in both univariate [crude HR, 1.68; 95% confidence interval (CI), 1.55-1.81; p < 0.001] and multivariate [adjusted HR (aHR), 1.66; 95% CI, 1.54-1.80; p < 0.001] Cox proportional hazards regression models. The cumulative incidence of hip fracture was significantly higher in the MgO cohort than in the non-MgO cohort (1.23 per 100 person-years vs. 0.74 per 100 person-years, logrank test, p < 0.001).

CONCLUSION:
MgO use is an independent risk factor for hip fracture in the elderly.

@Amazoniac

CONCLUSION:
MgO use is an independent risk factor for hip fracture in the elderly

MgO is probably that good that it depletes calcium.

Inaut

I actually tried some mag citrate with a meal and find it rather easy to take. I walk a tight rope with magnesium... certain forms destroy my butt so I need to be very careful these days...

What if diarrhea caused by magnesium supplements is actually a reaction caused by LPS of dying bacteria? I found out that tolerance to high doses of MgO builds over time. I theorised that it does not related to magnesium bioavailability. Some googling gives interesting results. Magnesium salts are antibacterial in supplemental range of doses.

Antimicrobial Activities and Mechanisms of Magnesium Oxide Nanoparticles (nMgO) against Pathogenic Bacteria, Yeasts, and Biofilms

The MIC of nMgO varied from 0.5 mg/mL to 1.2 mg/mL and the minimal lethal concentration (MLC) of nMgO at 90% killing varied from 0.7 mg/mL to 1.4 mg/mL against different pathogenic bacteria and yeasts. The most potent concentrations (MPC) of nMgO were 1.4 and/or 1.6 mg/mL, depending on the type of bacteria and yeasts tested. As the concentration of nMgO increased, the adhesion of bacteria and yeasts decreased. Moreover, S. epidermidis biofilm was disrupted at 1.6 mg/mL of nMgO. E. coli and some yeasts showed membrane damage after cultured with ≥0.5 mg/mL nMgO. Overall, nMgO killed both planktonic bacteria and disrupted nascent biofilms, suggesting new antimicrobial mechanisms of nMgO.

Study on the mechanism of antibacterial action of magnesium oxide nanoparticles against foodborne pathogens

The minimal inhibitory concentrations of MgO nanoparticles to 104 colony-forming unit/ml (CFU/ml) of Campylobacter jejuni, Escherichia coli O157:H7, and Salmonella Enteritidis were determined to be 0.5, 1 and 1 mg/ml, respectively. To completely inactivate 108−9 CFU/ml bacterial cells in 4 h, a minimal concentration of 2 mg/ml MgO nanoparticles was required for C. jejuni whereas E. coli O157:H7 and Salmonella Enteritidis required at least 8 mg/ml nanoparticles.

Antimicrobial Properties of Magnesium Chloride at Low pH in the Presence of Anionic Bases - PubMed

It is not surprising that magnesium salts in microbiological experiments are typically associated with positive effects. In this study with Listeria monocytogenes as a model organism, we focus however on the usefulness of magnesium (in form of MgCl2) as a stress enhancer. Whereas MgCl2 does not affect bacterial viability at near-neutral pHs, it was found to strongly compromise culturability and redox activity when cell suspensions were exposed to the salt at acidic pH. The principle was confirmed with a number of gram-negative and gram-positive species. The magnesium salt dramatically increased the acidity to a level that was antimicrobial in the presence of anionic bases such as phosphate, lactate, or acetate, but not TRIS. The antimicrobial activity of MgCl2 was much stronger than that of NaCl, KCl, or CaCl2. No effect was observed with MgSO4 or when cells were exposed to MgCl2 in phosphate buffer with a pH ≥ 5. Acid stress was reinforced by an additional, salt-specific effect of MgCl2 on microbial viability that needs further examination. Apart from its implications for surface disinfection, this observation might support the commonly stated therapeutic properties of MgCl2 for the treatment of skin diseases (with healthy skin being an acidic environment), and could contribute to understanding why salt from the Dead Sea, where Mg(2+) and Cl(-) are the most abundant cation/anion, has healing properties in a microbiological context.

Amazoniac

Now that I think of it, it makes no sense for the bioavailability of magnesium hydroxide to be low if water prepared from is high. Why would carbonated water be more potent than the stomach in solubilizing it? Are you induced to consume sane amounts of it to avoid excess water, therefore improving its use?

One confounder in experiments is the high doses used for the simpler salts, ignoring that the fractional absorption drops.
The percentage absorbed is thought to apply to all intakes of the salt in question. However, there are experiments showing that it's indeed poorer when compared to other forms.

Magnesium hydroxide has the advantage of not turning you into a burping machine ('CO2'), which is nice if added to a meal. For the hydroxide and carbonate products available, it seems that hydroxide has consistently a finer texture, reminds me of when I supplement talc with meals. I'm mentioning because dispersion should make it easier for the stomach acid to act. But there are other factors at play that affect how it's processed (oxide, capsule against tablet):

Kingpinguin

Magnesium oxide is superior to the other salts. It has low absorption. But it has the highest amount of magnesium ions per mg. Even if only 20% absorbed it has so much more actual magnesium in the dose that those 20% are much more than you get from the other salts. There was a great website demonstrating this. Was kinda fascinating. The other salts s are just ways of making mineral supplements more expensive.