Magnesium Oxide Is (surprisingly) Better Than Citrate

@drk i believe they consider
The amount of mg in the supplement

So the amount of mg in mg oxide
In 520 mg
Is the same of mg amount in mg citrate

Elie

Forum Supporter
Yes, I see. Assuming about 60% mag, it's close enough. the monohydrate part may add more mass.

OP
P

paymanz

If I read correctly, 520mg of mag oxide wad used vs only 295.8 mag citrate. Not sure why not test equal doses?
Maybe because oxide is more tolerable than citrate,and its cheap.

But anyway it was better if they used equal doses!

papaya

magnesium hydroxide(mom) made me violently sick. i also vomited from magnesium oxide that was in my mag glycinate formula. i'm not 100% positive, but i think that was the cause because it had the same hydroxide smell. i ordered a new brand that has no oxide so we'll see how that works. i use natural calm daily just because i like the flavor & i drink it instead of diet soda, + i get added mag. why doesn't ray like citrate?

OP
P

paymanz

magnesium hydroxide(mom) made me violently sick. i also vomited from magnesium oxide that was in my mag glycinate formula. i'm not 100% positive, but i think that was the cause because it had the same hydroxide smell. i ordered a new brand that has no oxide so we'll see how that works. i use natural calm daily just because i like the flavor & i drink it instead of diet soda, + i get added mag. why doesn't ray like citrate?
I believe he doesnt like Citrate because it irritate digestive system and also irritate internally.

It can chelate minerals in blood and make them excreted in urine.

japanesedude

Magnesium oxide is known as a laxative.
Mg oxide is the most poorly absorbed form but has the highest Mg per weight, so actually you may get more elemental magnesium out of the same dose of Mg oxide vs. another magnesium, simply because of the size .
Approximately 500 mg of Mg oxide may be equal to 350 mg Mg citrate.

johnwester130

I dont know anythimg about the absorption studies
And i dont really care abt them

I care about what i get from it

I ask my self :
Am i feeling better?
Do i have any irritation ?
Did i get hemmoroids?
Is there any pain in any muscle of my body ?

Thats how i chose my supplement

%%%%%%%%%
I read your comments there

I tried glycinate
Carbonate
Citrate
Sulfate
Hydroxide

I still have them

Mg oxide is the only one that i get huge effect on my whole system

Glycinate type
Gave me diarrhea as carbonate

Citrate gave me severe hemmorroids

@amethyst

does oxide cause digestive problems ???

Atalanta

I believe he doesnt like Citrate because it irritate digestive system and also irritate internally.

It can chelate minerals in blood and make them excreted in urine.

Is there research to support this?

I can confirm Mg oxide is the best one in my personal experience. Up to 1000 mg of elemental mg per day with zero GI tract issues. Already tried arginate, glycinate, citrate, maleate, bicarbonate, chloride forms and some fancy mineral water brands with high MG content like DonatMG from Slovenia. Im not a fan of conspiracies theories but looks like all this TRAACS hype is a marketing trick.

Whichway?

So many studies seem to have such poor design or methodology it’s hard to know what the truth is anymore.

I know I’ve had trouble with some of the citrate and glycine forms.

Mg oxide has never troubled me but I figured that at 4% absorption I wasn’t getting enough in to feel any effect of the Mg itself.

OP
P

paymanz

So many studies seem to have such poor design or methodology it’s hard to know what the truth is anymore.

I know I’ve had trouble with some of the citrate and glycine forms.

Mg oxide has never troubled me but I figured that at 4% absorption I wasn’t getting enough in to feel any effect of the Mg itself.
I think that 4percent absorption rate is because they measured acute effect of the supplement , they probably measured urine or blood level of subjects juat few hours after supplementation. But it gets longer than that to pass digestive system , that is why in study i posted after 30 days they get good result from oxide form.

Whichway?

I think that 4percent absorption rate is because they measured acute effect of the supplement , they probably measured urine or blood level of subjects juat few hours after supplementation. But it gets longer than that to pass digestive system , that is why in study i posted after 30 days they get good result from oxide form.

Yes I read the study. Trouble is they use a patented form of magnesium oxide which also has a single water molecule (H2O) attached to it, which appears to increase the uptake of it compared to regular magnesium oxide.

So it out performs all the cheaper non patented magnesium oxide supplements out there. Unless somehow regular magnesium oxide gets bonded to water inside your stomach or intestines. However if that were the case you would expect regular magnesium oxide to be able to raise blood levels.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals