Magnesium Oxide Is (surprisingly) Better Than Citrate

paymanz

Magnesium oxide is (surpringly) better than citrate – RCT March 2012 | Vitamin D Wiki

Comparison of magnesium status using X-ray dispersion analysis following magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate treatment of healthy subjects. - PubMed - NCBI

The magnesium content in food consumed in the Western world is steadily decreasing. Hypomagnesemia is associated with increased incidence of diabetes mellitus, metabolic syndrome, all-cause and coronary artery disease mortality. We investigated the impact of supplemental oral magnesium citrate versus magnesium oxide on intracellular magnesium levels ([Mg2+]i) and platelet function in healthy subjects with no apparent heart disease. In a randomized, prospective, double-blind, crossover study, 41 (20 women) healthy volunteers [mean age 53±8 (range 31-75) years] received either magnesium oxide monohydrate tablets (520 mg/day of elemental magnesium) or magnesium citrate tablets (295.8 mg/day of elemental magnesium) for one month (phase 1), followed by a four-week wash-out period, and then crossover treatment for one month (phase 2). [Mg2+]i was assessed from sublingual cells through x-ray dispersion (normal values 37.9±4.0 mEq/L), serum magnesium levels, platelet aggregation, and quality-of-life questionnaires were assessed before and after each phase. Oral magnesium oxide, rather than magnesium citrate, significantly increased [Mg2+]i (34.4±3 versus 36.3±2 mEq/L, p<0.001 and 34.7±2 versus 35.4±2 mEq/L, p=0.097; respectively), reduced total cholesterol (201±37 versus 186±27 mg/dL, p=0.016 and 187±28 versus 187±25 mg/dL, p=0.978; respectively) and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (128±22 versus 120±25 mg/dL, p=0.042 and 120±23 versus 121±22 mg/dL, p=0.622; respectively). Noteworthy is that both treatments significantly reduced epinephrine-induced platelet aggregation (78.9±16% versus 71.7±23%, p=0.013 and 81.3±15% versus 73.3±23%, p=0.036; respectively). Thus, oral magnesium oxide treatment significantly improved [Mg2+]i, total and LDL cholesterol compared with magnesium citrate, while both treatments similarly inhibited platelet aggregation in healthy subjects with no apparent heart disease.

------

i think it is because in previous studies on Mg absorption from various salts they compared them in short term,like few hours, but as this study shows Mg oxide stays in digestive system and dissolves and absorbs slowly.

OP
P

paymanz

oops,i missed something.

the supplement they used is magnesium oxide monohydrate, a new type of Mg oxide.

MAGNOX!

OP
P

paymanz

here plain Mg oxide with good absorption rate,in rats.

John Libbey Eurotext - Magnesium Research - Study of magnesium bioavailability from ten organic and inorganic Mg salts in Mg-depleted rats using a stable isotope approach

upload_2016-7-3_21-55-13.png

a 2016 study Effect of Oral Magnesium Oxide Supplementation on Cisplatin-Induced Hypomagnesemia in Cancer Patients: A Randomized Controlled Trial

Last edited:
@paymanz

I'm not a scientist or something like that

But the strongest magnesium is the oxide one

He is the only one
No irritation
No diarrhea
I take 1000 mg at night

I wake up all my muscles are recovered

My dad once visited me
And we went out for bike riding

So when we came back he had legs pain and calves also
So I told him try the mg oxide

He said
No its not gonna help

I told him just try it

Well when he took it
5 minutes later no more cramps or pain

I read that oxide is the least absorbed

But for me he is the only one that work like charm

OP
P

paymanz

I never heard

Of mg oxide monohydrate honestly
Yes I'm too thinking plain Mg oxide is a good supplement,as you said,good absorption ,and almost no irritating , compared to other types of supplements.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

Mito

Most studies I've seen say the opposite. Magnesium oxide is one of the most poorly absorbed forms of magnesium.

"Thus, magnesium citrate was more soluble and bioavailable than magnesium oxide. Magnesium bioavailability from magnesium citrate and magnesium oxide. - PubMed - NCBI

"We conclude that there is relatively poor bioavailability of magnesium oxide, but greater and equivalent bioavailability of magnesium chloride, lactate, and aspartate."
Bioavailability of US commercial magnesium preparations. - PubMed - NCBI

"We conclude that a daily supplementation with Mg citrate shows superior bioavailability after 60 days of treatment when compared with other treatments studied."
Mg citrate found more bioavailable than other Mg preparations in a randomised, double-blind study. - PubMed - NCBI

I dont know anythimg about the absorption studies
And i dont really care abt them

I care about what i get from it

I ask my self :
Am i feeling better?
Do i have any irritation ?
Did i get hemmoroids?
Is there any pain in any muscle of my body ?

Thats how i chose my supplement

%%%%%%%%%
I read your comments there

I tried glycinate
Carbonate
Citrate
Sulfate
Hydroxide

I still have them

Mg oxide is the only one that i get huge effect on my whole system

Glycinate type
Gave me diarrhea as carbonate

Citrate gave me severe hemmorroids

@amethyst

amethyst

I ask my self :
Am i feeling better?
Did i get hemmoroids?

%%%%%%%%%

I tried glycinate
Carbonate
Citrate
Sulfate
Hydroxide

I still have them

Glycinate type

@amethyst

I ask my self :
Am i feeling better?
Did i get hemmoroids?

%%%%%%%%%

I tried glycinate
Carbonate
Citrate
Sulfate
Hydroxide

I still have them

Glycinate type

@amethyst
Ok, simple, so use magnesium oxide if that works best for you.

Elie

Forum Supporter
Magnesium oxide is (surpringly) better than citrate – RCT March 2012 | Vitamin D Wiki

Comparison of magnesium status using X-ray dispersion analysis following magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate treatment of healthy subjects. - PubMed - NCBI

The magnesium content in food consumed in the Western world is steadily decreasing. Hypomagnesemia is associated with increased incidence of diabetes mellitus, metabolic syndrome, all-cause and coronary artery disease mortality. We investigated the impact of supplemental oral magnesium citrate versus magnesium oxide on intracellular magnesium levels ([Mg2+]i) and platelet function in healthy subjects with no apparent heart disease. In a randomized, prospective, double-blind, crossover study, 41 (20 women) healthy volunteers [mean age 53±8 (range 31-75) years] received either magnesium oxide monohydrate tablets (520 mg/day of elemental magnesium) or magnesium citrate tablets (295.8 mg/day of elemental magnesium) for one month (phase 1), followed by a four-week wash-out period, and then crossover treatment for one month (phase 2). [Mg2+]i was assessed from sublingual cells through x-ray dispersion (normal values 37.9±4.0 mEq/L), serum magnesium levels, platelet aggregation, and quality-of-life questionnaires were assessed before and after each phase. Oral magnesium oxide, rather than magnesium citrate, significantly increased [Mg2+]i (34.4±3 versus 36.3±2 mEq/L, p<0.001 and 34.7±2 versus 35.4±2 mEq/L, p=0.097; respectively), reduced total cholesterol (201±37 versus 186±27 mg/dL, p=0.016 and 187±28 versus 187±25 mg/dL, p=0.978; respectively) and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (128±22 versus 120±25 mg/dL, p=0.042 and 120±23 versus 121±22 mg/dL, p=0.622; respectively). Noteworthy is that both treatments significantly reduced epinephrine-induced platelet aggregation (78.9±16% versus 71.7±23%, p=0.013 and 81.3±15% versus 73.3±23%, p=0.036; respectively). Thus, oral magnesium oxide treatment significantly improved [Mg2+]i, total and LDL cholesterol compared with magnesium citrate, while both treatments similarly inhibited platelet aggregation in healthy subjects with no apparent heart disease.

------

i think it is because in previous studies on Mg absorption from various salts they compared them in short term,like few hours, but as this study shows Mg oxide stays in digestive system and dissolves and absorbs slowly.

If I read correctly, 520mg of mag oxide wad used vs only 295.8 mag citrate. Not sure why not test equal doses?

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals