Magnesium Mystery - What Form To Take?

Moshi

Dear wise folks,

Having battled ME/CFS, FM, EDS during the past 8 years, I discovered only a year ago just how beneficial magnesium seems to be for me...

I’ve used mainly the citrate form daily for over a year, and even though the neurological benefits are really significant, my intestinal troubles seem worse than ever (mixed type IBS)... and recently realized that the citrate form is actually HARMFUL....!

the problem is- I am NOT doing well with magnesium bound to various amino acids, and the malate form does not seem to go down well with me either.....

I just ordered a jar of pure Magnesium CARBONATE powder, but wondering how I should prepare it/take it, ideally....???

Anyone out there using Mg Carbonate powder orally? If so - exactly how do you mix it, to become soluble, and bioavaiable, yet harmless?

Any other ideas regarding preferrable forms of magnesium?

Kindly,
M

Bicarbonate and oxide are only two forms of magnesium I vouch for. They are cheapest and most effective in my experience. I have never tried pure carbonate, but dolomite is good.

Motif

The only calming effect I ever had from magnesium was from Sango Coral powder

OP
Moshi

Moshi

@Motif - thank you, however, I only want to take pure magnesium, without the calcium....

milkboi

I use magnesium carbonate to react with vinegar, to create magnesium acetate. Magnesium carbonate is too alkaline according to @Amazoniac, and my literal gut feeling

OP
Moshi

Moshi

@milkboi - that’s great, how do you mix the two (ratios, approx measurements) do you use it daily? What does it do for you?

LeeLemonoil

There is nothing wrong with Mg-oxide. It doesn’t need to be made bioavailable, newer studies indicate that it gets resorbed slowly but surely avid utilized by the organism.

Main advantage of oxide is the relatively large amount of elemental Mg in the complex.
The same goes for carbonate. It needn’t be made more bioavailable prior to consuming. On the co treaty, I think it’s good if it passes the stomach workout reacting much so it doesn’t neutralize to much stomach acid.
Just put it in water and drink it down undisolved as pure power or buy tablets without many excipients and swallow with a bit of water.

Magnesium-bicarbonate is another good choice, can be made with carbonate and pre carbonated soda.

Magnesium gluconate is another organic salt that is mostly well tolerated. But I’m unsure if supplementing gluconic acid is desireable

OP
Moshi

Moshi

@LeeLemonoil great info, thanks!
Should I try to mix the Mg Carbonate powder with freshly carbonated water from my soda streamer? And just drink it immediately?

LeeLemonoil

I use magnesium carbonate to react with vinegar, to create magnesium acetate. Magnesium carbonate is too alkaline according to @Amazoniac, and my literal gut feeling

Mg-acetate can be bought in bulk also. Not sure if that much acetic acid is desireabke longterm.
There are also Magnesium propionate and butyrate. Again, the effect of acid part on the organism needs to be considered.

@Amazoniac
Is alkalinity of MgCarbonate really an issue if you swallow a pressed tablet of it and assuming it passes the stomach rather undissolved? Would you think that taking ascourgic acid at the same time could be beneficial or do you rate ready magnesium-ascirbste as a supp?

milkboi

Mg-acetate can be bought in bulk also. Not sure if that much acetic acid is desireabke longterm.
There are also Magnesium propionate and butyrate. Again, the effect of acid part on the organism needs to be considered.

@Amazoniac
Is alkalinity of MgCarbonate really an issue if you swallow a pressed tablet of it and assuming it passes the stomach rather undissolved? Would you think that taking ascourgic acid at the same time could be beneficial or do you rate ready magnesium-ascirbste as a supp?

Yeah, I was thinking to get some succinic acid to make magnesium succinate, so I could alternate between the latter and mag acetate. The succinate part also seems to very beneficial.

I think acetate can be converted to bicarbonate, so it actually has a net alkalizing effect (just not in the gut).

Mg(OH)2 + 2 CO2 → Mg(HCO3)
Magnesium hydroxide + carbon dioxide reaction yields magnesium bicarbonate

Would you mind to provide magnesium carbonate + carbon dioxide reaction please??

milkboi

@milkboi - that’s great, how do you mix the two (ratios, approx measurements) do you use it daily? What does it do for you?

- Methods of preparation of magnesium organic compounds from natural dolomite

"Basic magnesium carbonate [MgCO3·Mg(OH)2·2H2O] (5.5 g) suspended in a small amount of distilled water was added batchwise into 32 cm³ of stirred 20% acetic acid [6.4 g?] solution to obtain a slightly alkaline solution. The mixture was filtered, concentrated to a thick syrup consistency and dried in the dryer at 70º C for 6 h. The product was refined and dried at 100º C for 1 h. 10.5 g magnesium acetate was obtained at the reaction yield 95% (Fig. 1)."​

@Dolomite, do you find it threatening?

BulkSupplements sells magnesium carbonate. They claim 1/2 of a teaspoon carries 1.9 g and gives you about 0.5 of Mg. For a complete reaction with acetic acid, you'd need 2.6 g of acetic acid (if I got it right).

The concentration of acetic acid in vinegar may be 6%, but it can be less, such as 4%. To obtain 2.6 g of acetic acid from a 6% acetic acid vinegar, it requires 45 g of it. Since a tablespoon is almost 15 g, that's 3 tablespoons.

Therefore it's 6 tablespoons of vinegar for every teaspoon of magnesium carbonate. It's quite possible that the need for vinegar is underestimated in homemade preparations and that the reaction doesn't run perfectly. If the stomach acid doesn't make up for it, it will lead to adverse reactions and premature death.

It has the usual positive effects of magnesium supplementation on me (mainly relaxation) and I tolerate it well. Also, it's really cheap. I think I spent 25 bucks on the magnesium carbonate and it will last me for several years.

Amazoniac

@Amazoniac
:lol:

I think that it's desirable to have it reacting with stomach acid to improve absorption, then an intensive phase where uptake is facilitated by the body is made possible, the mineral will go through the cell. Otherwise you'll be relying on something (such as short-chain fatty acids) to solubilize them for passive absorption between cells; a minor fraction might be uptaken intact, I doubt that this is good.

The ligands can work as facilitators when chyme is alkalinized because it tends to leave the solution (as it was prior to ingestion) once the pH rises.

Too much of any form on empty stomach is often problematic because the ligand is usually better absorbed than the mineral, therefore a good share is abandoned to interact with pancreatic salt.

The systemic impact won't be great, but it's detectable in kidneys where pH increases and minerals start to become less soluble, making you more prone to developing stones. It's worse when it's killcium. Forms such as acetate, citrate, malate, not only don't involve stomach acid, but also provide the organic acid to prevent that from happening. However, they're probably more contaminated if industrial.

OP
Moshi

Moshi

Lots of interesting info here, most of which is way above my level :writer:
I guess the question that remain is this: is the form of magnesium carbonate potentially harmful, in any way, to anyones knowledge? Or is it very safe to try? Mixed with anything (water, juice, dilluted vinegar)???
Btw- I’ve tried most forms of Mg - including malate, glycinate and threonate, but they either don’t do anything, or they seem to be ”downers”, and do not yield the immediate positive effects that citrate has on me....