Magnesium Malate (Acid) Bad As A Supplement?

Bluebell

I'm going to supplement magnesium, and I'm wondering if the malate form is OK to take?

It's got a lot of acid in it: The form I'd take has 2.5 grams of malic acid and 420mg of magnesium per 3 tablets.

The reason I like it, is I first took it a couple of years ago for a while and it was very helpful. Must have been extremely absorbable because I got an immediate good effect on pain lessening and improved sleep, and urine started excreting toxins again (a good thing) instead of coming out clear.

That was a while back though, and since then I found Peat. I now wonder if it's OK to have a lot of acid added to the diet, which is what the mag malate supplement does (in some ways I guess it's similar to people taking betaine hcl for digestion - another acid).

himsahimsa

Malic acid is what makes sour apples sour. In magnesium malate there is no acidity, it is a salt like sodium chloride. You could say sodium chloride has a lot of hydrochloric acid.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Thanks himsahimsa. So it's not acidic, that's good I think.

I wonder if it's an acceptable form of magnesium on Peat diet ...

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

I dunno, it was narouz who thought he could remember Ray cautioning against mag malate, he couldn't remember what exactly was said tho. The reference to aluminum is because Mag malate is used for removing aluminum in alternative medicine.

I'd like to know what the problem could be with it. If it's not harmful I'd like to take it as it seemed to be helping me, more than glycinate did.

Ulla

What is the situation about Mg malate today? :| Is it optimal?

Dan W

What is the situation about Mg malate today? :| Is it optimal?

Someone e-mailed him about it with this reply:
Ray Peat said:
I haven’t seen it sold for a long time, but I think it’s o.k.; it’s good to watch for allergy reactions such as a headache.