Magnesium makes me super dehydrated - mineral imbalance?

BearWithMe

Every time I take magnesium supplement (or anything that increase magnesium retention, like boron) my blood pressure significantly drops and I get symptoms of dehydration.

What could be the reason for this? Some kind of mineral imbalance? Underlying deficiency of some other nutrient?

My recent Cronometer screenshot is attached below.

Attachments

• cronometer 2021-02-03.png
    cronometer 2021-02-03.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 53

Maljam

How much are you taking, what form? Is that on top of your 560mg a day through diet?

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I'm getting ~400mg of Mg from diet and ~150mg of supplemental Mg on top of that (from 600mg of magnesium chloride)

ursidae

I don’t know the answer but when I applied magnesium chloride to my skin on the body it became extremely dry over a few days and still hasn’t recovered weeks later. Come to think of it I’ve been taking magnesium chloride internally lately and thirsty all the time. Maybe it’s this specific form. Based on what happened to my skin not sure it’s safe for the intestine

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I don’t know the answer but when I applied magnesium chloride to my skin on the body it became extremely dry over a few days and still hasn’t recovered weeks later. Come to think of it I’ve been taking magnesium chloride internally lately and thirsty all the time. Maybe it’s this specific form. Based on what happened to my skin not sure it’s safe for the intestine
I have tried pretty much every form of magnesium available, and they all make me dehydrated. The worst was magnesium oxide.

dhtsupreme

I used magnesium chloride last night. I applied it to my back around the adrenals area (supposedly increases dhea). My skin got really dry and itchy. Food/supplement is better

dhtsupreme

I think you're taking too much. Lower the dose @JanP . Usually 350-400mg is recommended/effective for most. In your case even less may be optimal

Signs and symptoms of magnesium toxicity and clinical management.
Laxative effect, diarrhea​
Fall in blood pressure with dizziness to severe hypotension
Muscle weakness (and depressed deep tendon reflexes)​
Severe back pain and pelvic pain​
Confusion and loss of consciousness​
Difficulty breathing to respiratory arrest​
Cardiac arrhythmias to cardiac arrest​
Other effects: lethargy, confusion, deterioration of kidney function​