Magnesium In Coffee

schultz

Peat has specifically mentioned coffee as a source, but I have not seen any compelling evidence that coffee has significant amounts of Mg.

This study: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308814611010880 shows the magnesium content of instant coffee to be quite high, not to mention other minerals.

The pic below was taken from that study...
Mineral Content of Instant Coffee.jpg

100g of instant is quite a bit of coffee though. Ray has mentioned he tries to drink 5 strong cups of coffee a day. Based on how much niacin he says this 5 cups has (near 40mg), it seems each one of his strong coffees is equivalent to about 3 cups of regular coffee. I think it would be about 60g of instant coffee.

This study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6650450 has a table showing the mineral content of coffee taken from other studies.

Mineral Content of Coffee and Tea.jpg

Looking at the data from the 2 Finland studies, you can see that 60g of beans made into a litre of coffee contains 73-80mg of magnesium in the first analysis and 110-120mg in the second analysis.

I personally use 30g of beans to make 1 cup of concentrated coffee (I use it for latte's) and I drink about 5-7 of these a day. Assuming 40mg of magnesium for 30g of beans (which is actually on the lower side according to the table above) I would be getting 200-280mg of magnesium from coffee a day. That's at least half of the RDA for magnesium from a food that has almost zero calories.

Look at the other minerals as well!
From 5 cups of strong coffee (150g of beans) you can get approximately...
1800mg Potassium
220mg Magnesium
1mg of Manganese
36mg of Niacin (depending on roast)
9mg B5
3mg B2
0.5mg B1
1,500mg of Caffeine

So I guess the amount of magnesium may not be significant if you don't drink much coffee, but for people who drink quite a bit, getting 50% of the RDA for magnesium from coffee is quite easy. That seems significant to me.

lindsay

This is why I asked for a good espresso machine for Christmas :) And I will never go back to regular coffee - less liquid, beautiful froth, high magnesium content, and a good amount of caffeine. On a daily basis, I average 8 oz. of home brewed espresso at a very high pressure. 8 oz. contains 502 mg of caffeine, almost 200 mg of magnesium, 12 mg of vitamin B3 (Niacin) and small amounts of vitamin B2 (Riboflavin). Every summer, my husband and I go to Estonia to dacha - I only have a drip coffee maker there and I noticed my nails were very weak and breaking a lot, despite eating fruits and meat. Came home and started drinking espresso again and my nails regained their strength and length. I LOVE espresso :)

Last edited:

YuraCZ

How much caffeine is in 150g of coffee beans just for 200 mg of magnesium *****. There are much better sources of magnesium. Curry powder for example..

Last edited by a moderator:

michael94

I have a hunch that the magnesium in coffee is a lot more bio-available than other sources. I wouldn't get too caught up in comparing dosage just go by feel. Coffee and cooked greens + their broth are great sources and taste nice.

Giraffe

How much caffeine is in 150g of coffee beans just for 200 mg of magnesium jesus. There are much better sources of magnesium. Curry powder for example..
One teaspoon of curry powder provides you with ~ 5 mg magnesium. How much curry powder can you stomach?

If you have more suggestions on good food sources of magnesium please post in sub-forum Minerals .

OP
schultz

schultz

How much caffeine is in 150g of coffee beans just for 200 mg of magnesium jesus. There are much better sources of magnesium. Curry powder for example..

Around 1500mg of caffeine. I drink coffee because it tastes good and I enjoy it. The caffeine and magnesium are just a bonus.

milk_lover

@schultz, do you think cold-brew coffee from Starbucks has enough magnesium? Whenever I drink it, I can "go" easily and it makes me happier. I also enjoy strong espressos but I don't get that kind of effect.

Peater Piper

The tannins in coffee that reduce iron absorption will likely reduce the absorption of other minerals as well, including magnesium. The tannins can also bind with thiamine (B1), making it difficult to absorb. Vitamin C may prevent the interaction with thiamine. Coffee also contains phytic acid, but I don't know how much because I'm not paying for the only paper I could find that lists the amounts: Phytate and Zinc Contents of Coffees, Cocoas, and Teas - HARLAND - 2006 - Journal of Food Science - Wiley Online Library

Coffee also seems to lower the levels of certain circulating b-vitamins, resulting in raised homocysteine: Coffee consumption and circulating B-vitamins in healthy middle-aged men and women. - PubMed - NCBI

So on the one hand, coffee seems like a pretty good source of certain micronutrients if enough is consumed. On the other hand, it contains certain anti-nutrients that could affect the absorption of the micronutrients from both the coffee and other foods that are consumed at the same time, and cause the excretion of excess b-vitamins.

Fenrir67

"If you drink caffeinated beverages such as coffee, tea and soda regularly, your risk for magnesium deficiency is increased."

"caffeine causes the kidneys to release extra magnesium regardless of body status"

OP
schultz

schultz

"If you drink caffeinated beverages such as coffee, tea and soda regularly, your risk for magnesium deficiency is increased."

"caffeine causes the kidneys to release extra magnesium regardless of body status"

Please link to the study where this is mentioned. I would be interested in reading it.

OP
schultz

schultz

Excellent! Instant coffee is surprisingly low. Even the worst offenders are pretty low. Looks like phytic acid's not a concern with coffee.

Yah doesn't seem to be an issue. 100g of polished rice has 11-66mg of phytic acid. Heck, 100g of strawberries has 12mg.

Brazil nuts on the other hand have 1700mg of phytic acid per 100g. That might be an issue.

Syncopated

I just take a couple 100mg caffeine pills in the morning. I don't understand the importance of coffee. It's expensive compared to caffeine pills and Clark's research has shown that the chlorogenic acid in coffee is allergenic and erodes the hypothalamus. Magnesium oxide powder is extremely cheap and pure. A few milligrams of niacin is no justification for ingesting chlorogenic acid.

Syncopated

I believe 1000 mg of Magnesium oxide would net approximately 450 mg of elemental magnesium.

The purest source is the Dr. Clark Store but I live in Canada and shipping is outrageous. I buy just bulk powder and take 1/8th of a teaspoon 2-3 times a day always before meals. The powder costs me $12.50 and lasts many months.

I find magnesium glycinate to be the kindest on my gut. Even so, too much too often can cause butt soreness.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals