Magnesium. I Think It's Causing Insomnia

Frankdee20

Yup that "wired" feeling, like being overdosed with coffee. The feeling that the "wakefulness-lamp" in your brain is shining so bright and you just cannot turn that "light" off, which feels quite strange.
You should immediatley quit Mg and get a few days rest first. I can confirm that salt and potassium have at least some influence on this inability to switch off and slide into sleep. But I can't say it's a cure for the problem.
At least one night around 3 am I was able to sleep half an hour after drinking a supp with lots of potassium citrate.

Something's serious wrong with us.

Magnesium lactate ... again something I don't have here and never heard of. Do you have any left? Would you try it again to see if you can still tolerate the lactate?

I think magnesium would have some effect on electrolyte balance, sodium potassium, don't know if that's what causes insomnia. Sometimes Valerian gives me insomnia, but who the he'll knows why.

Mito

Last night was really bad I felt very anxious and got maybe two hours of sleep

Yup that "wired" feeling, like being overdosed with coffee. The feeling that the "wakefulness-lamp" in your brain is shining so bright and you just cannot turn that "light" off, which feels quite strange.

See Opiath’s post below. Maybe this is explains what is happening?

”.....You see, one of the things magnesium does when it goes inside the body is that it decreases adrenaline sensitivity.
This may sound like a good thing but unless you have a severe Mg deficiency I can assure you, it is not.
Adrenaline is usually always there for a reason.
If you have a disrupted aerobic metabolism like I do, adrenaline is very much needed to maintain energy production.
So when you put magnesium inside, you downregulate adrenaline sensitivity and then you actually need MORE adrenaline to do the same job."....I've supplemented tons of magnesium over the past 2 years and I now think it was a big mistake.”

mipp

Magnesium lactate ... again something I don't have here and never heard of. Do you have any left? Would you try it again to see if you can still tolerate the lactate?
No lactate left but maybe I'll buy some, seems to be quite common here. Anyway I'm going to take a break from magnesium for a few days and hopefully get some proper rest. Then I'll experiment. I started taking mag because I had some facial muscle twitching and thought I was deficient but maybe it's something else, some other mineral imbalnace.

This is the first time I tried mag chloride. I have bulk powder which I dissolve in water. Could be irritating to the gut. it didn't give me digestive problems though

mipp

Yeah, very probable in my case. I've been sweating excessively from under my armpits these last few days, I think this could be a symptom of elevated adrenaline and would fit nicely with the explanation. Thank you for posting this, it seems that magnesium may not be as safe for everyone as is commonly believed. I'll just stop supplementing mag for now.

Frankdee20

Yeah, very probable in my case. I've been sweating excessively from under my armpits these last few days, I think this could be a symptom of elevated adrenaline and would fit nicely with the explanation. Thank you for posting this, it seems that magnesium may not be as safe for everyone as is commonly believed. I'll just stop supplementing mag for now.

Are you guys taking Magnesium with anything else ? Good dietary sources exist, dark chocolate, beans, spinach, OJ, and mineral waters supply RDA

Mr. Sick

”.....You see, one of the things magnesium does when it goes inside the body is that it decreases adrenaline sensitivity.
This may sound like a good thing but unless you have a severe Mg deficiency I can assure you, it is not.
Adrenaline is usually always there for a reason.
If you have a disrupted aerobic metabolism like I do, adrenaline is very much needed to maintain energy production.
So when you put magnesium inside, you downregulate adrenaline sensitivity and then you actually need MORE adrenaline to do the same job."....I've supplemented tons of magnesium over the past 2 years and I now think it was a big mistake.”

Thanks for the input mito, but I don't see yet how this afffects sleep.
So i guess the point is that you have your energy levels crash down when you take Mg - but is a crashdown of energy oposed to sleep? Could as well enhance sleepiness.
Is there any known mechanism for this claim? Cause I don't know how Adrenaline is interfering with the mitochondria.
But I was once on the Beta blocker propranolol and this definetely helped sleep instead of making it worse. But maybe said effect is not due to beta receptors.

Yeah, very probable in my case. I've been sweating excessively from under my armpits these last few days, I think this could be a symptom of elevated adrenaline and would fit nicely with the explanation.

If you have excessive sweating (and a high heart rate as well?), the first assumption should be, that you have too much adrenaline and Mg would be beneficial to calm you down. But I agree you should quit for now, in order to catch some sleep....

Are you guys taking Magnesium with anything else ? Good dietary sources exist, dark chocolate, beans, spinach, OJ, and mineral waters supply RDA

I had a lot of combos. The result is always the same.

If you do a google search you'll see that insomnia is a fairly common reaction to magnesium. Eg,

https://www.paleohacks.com/magnesium/why-does-magnesium-sometimes-negatively-impact-sleep-4525

I had a particularly interesting reaction. When I started taking Mg I had one of the best night's sleep I'd had in years, but the effect only lasted a few days. I tried upping the dose but it only caused problems. This guy had a similar experience

I have been geeking out on FitDay.com and put all of my foods in it for a couple of weeks. Something I notice is that I'm at about the 35% RDA for magnesium and manganese. So the night before last I took a 200mg magnesium citrate supplement about an hour before bed, and got the best night's sleep I've had in weeks.

I did the same thing last night, and it was the exact opposite -- I had a terrible time falling asleep, and had terrible "restless legs" until about 2am, until finally getting a few hours of sleep. I am never that restless at night, so attribute it to the supplement.

I've since tried experimenting with some other electrolytes but I was never able to get another night of sleep like that.

Frankdee20

If you do a google search you'll see that insomnia is a fairly common reaction to magnesium. Eg,

https://www.paleohacks.com/magnesium/why-does-magnesium-sometimes-negatively-impact-sleep-4525

I had a particularly interesting reaction. When I started taking Mg I had one of the best night's sleep I'd had in years, but the effect only lasted a few days. I tried upping the dose but it only caused problems. This guy had a similar experience

I've since tried experimenting with some other electrolytes but I was never able to get another night of sleep like that.

Magnesium isn't always consistent in its sedative effect, but it's a great muscle relaxer.

nasibi

I feel relaxed from magensium only when I take it in combination with a good dose of P5P.

Frankdee20

I feel relaxed from magensium only when I take it in combination with a good dose of P5P.

I guess the Magnesium is absorbed better with P5P, and P5P has its own GABA enhancement.

nasibi

I guess the Magnesium is absorbed better with P5P, and P5P has its own GABA enhancement.

Yeh I read a study and it said that P5P when comined with magnesium forms a kind of complex which results in improved absroption.

Mr. Sick

To the people who get insomnia from Magnesium: Do you get insomnia as a sideeffect from other supps as well? Which ones?
Do you have health struggles like chronic inflammation, asthma, anxiety, brain fog or anything?

Frankdee20

Vitamin K, Fish Oils, Pregnenalone, easily induce insomnia. Zinc, Niacin, provide great sleep.

Dave Clark

I got some issues that coincided with taking a decent amount of mangesium topically (Perhaps other things at play, hard to say) I received a blood test back and realised I wasn't magnesium deficient, despite many people on the internet talking about how widespread magnesium deficiency is, I was convinced I had it. I think overdoing magnesium did have some negative effects on me which have gone after stopping it.
Did you have the RBC magnesium test done? According to many of the experts, serum magnesium is not reliable, in fact, they say everybody shows up in the tests as being sufficient when they really are not. Dr. Carolyn Dean describes and explains it on her website www.rnareset.com .

Frankdee20

Maybe switch to the Glycinate form of Magnesium, or another form altogether. Citrate may irritate the belly too much. I used to respond badly to the Taurate, then switched.

Frankdee20

How about malate?

Malate is another good form that I haven't known users associate with issues. I've personally never used that form, it is great for lactic acid buildup in muscles, I believe.

Frankdee20

Can I ask, without scrolling back the thread, your reasoning for supplemental magnesium ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals