Magnesium Fixed My Iron Overload

Broco6679

Thought I'd make this thread for anybody else struggling with iron, as when I first found my blood work suggested iron overload, I couldn't find much information here. I ran some iron labs whilst trying to isolate the cause of my health issues and found that my transferrin saturation and serum iron were pretty high:

Iron 36.3 umol/L (Range: 5.8 - 34.5)
TIBC 50.58 umol/L (Range: 45 - 72)
UIBC X 17.9 umol/L (Range: 22.3 - 61.7)
Transferrin Saturation X 64.61 % (Range: 20 - 50)
Ferritin 205 ug/L (Range: 30 - 400)
Magnesium 0.84 mmol/L (Range: 0.7 - 1.0)

These markers were tested again by my GP two months later - the results were roughly the same. During this time, I was already donating blood every 2-3 months, eating cilantro and drinking multiple cups of coffee per day. I was diagnosed with 'genetic' Haemochromatosis.

I was experiencing full body muscle twitches at the time too, which suggested a magnesium deficiency. Ray has often talked about how serum mineral levels do not reflect tissue status, and after reading Morley Robbin's claims that iron overload is from low magnesium, I decided to try a magnesium supplement.

After three months of 500mg mag glycinate everyday + one more blood donation, here is what my iron labs looked like:

Iron 15.69 umol/L (Range: 5.8 - 34.5)
TIBC 53.99 umol/L (Range: 45 - 72)
Transferrin Saturation 29.06 % (Range: 20 - 50)
Ferritin 91.8 ug/L (Range: 30 - 400)
Magnesium 0.96 mmol/L (Range: 0.7 - 1)

Pretty big changes. I'm very hypothryoid, so I imagine I wasn't retaining my magnesium like Ray suggests. Considering I was already donating blood, I'd guess that the mag was what made the biggest difference.

For those interested, I use the Best Immune brand 500mg capsules. If I swallowed the capsule whole it would always give me stomach issues, but opening it up and pouring the powder into a drink remedied this completely.

If anyone out there has high iron overload and isn't using magnesium, definitely give it a try.

Last edited:

Bart1

Thought I'd make this thread for anybody else struggling with iron, as when I first found my blood work suggested iron overload, I couldn't find much information here. I ran some iron labs whilst trying to isolate the cause of my health issues and found that my transferrin saturation and serum iron were pretty high:

These markers were tested again by my GP two months later - the results were roughly the same. During this time, I was already donating blood every 2-3 months, eating cilantro and drinking multiple cups of coffee per day. I was diagnosed with 'genetic' Haemochromatosis.

I was experiencing full body muscle twitches at the time too, which suggested a magnesium deficiency. Ray has often talked about how serum mineral levels do not reflect tissue status, and after reading Morley Robbin's claims that iron overload is from low magnesium, I decided to try a magnesium supplement.

After three months of 500mg mag glycinate everyday + one more blood donation, here is what my iron labs looked like:

Pretty big changes. I'm very hypothryoid, so I imagine I wasn't retaining my magnesium like Ray suggests. Considering I was already donating blood, I'd guess that the mag was what made the biggest difference.

For those interested, I use the Best Immune brand 500mg capsules. If I swallowed the capsule whole it would always give me stomach issues, but opening it up and pouring the powder into a drink remedied this completely.

If anyone out there has high iron overload and isn't using magnesium, definitely give it a try.
Wow awesome man, thank you so much for sharing this information! I also have Hemochromatosis and am struggling with the same issues (high serum iron and high saturation). I will definitely try this and see if it improves it. I always feel good after using magnesium, but like you, problems retaining it, due to being hypothyroid.

What does your diet look like ? Are you supplementing other things ? I also saw studies that vitamin A and D are often low in Hemochromatosis patients...

OP
B

Broco6679

My diet is Peat approved apart from white rice consumption. Ideally I'd get all my carbs from sugar, but at the moment I can't handle the liquid required to do so being hypo. Diet is organic skim milk w/ added white sugar, oj, pineapple juice, weekly liver + oysters, lean ground beef, spinach, ice cream, white rice, coke, dark chocolate, red bull, coffee, eggs, coconut oil and oysters. I track most days on cronometer and always hit every micronutrient target. About 3k calories per day, 120g + protein, ~60g fat, rest carbs.

I take is Thorne's D/K2 dropps. I was taking 3k iu D when both bloods were drawn, and it was a little low @ 74 nmol/L. I've since upped the dose to 10k iu D / 1mg K2, and it rose up to 112 nmol/L. I used to take thorne's stress b-complex, but stopped once they ran out because I didn't feel anything from it. Only other supplement is an occasional 300mg aspirin tablet, but I don't feel anything from that either.

My Zinc levels have dropped pretty low, so I may try taking 25mg EOD.

Have you tried any thyroid for the hypo symptoms?

Last edited:

Bart1

My diet is Peat approved apart from white rice consumption. Ideally I'd get all my carbs from sugar, but at the moment I can't handle the liquid required to do so being hypo. Diet is organic skim milk w/ added white sugar, oj, pineapple juice, white rice, weekly liver + oysters, lean ground beef, spinach, ice cream, white rice, coke, dark chocolate, red bull, coffee, eggs, coconut oil and oysters. I track most days on cronometer and always hit cover every micronutrient. About 3k calories per day, 120g + protein, ~60g fat, rest carbs.

I take is Thorne's D/K2 dropps. I was taking 3k iu D when both bloods were drawn, and it was a little low @ 74 nmol/L. I've since upped the dose to 10k iu D / 1mg K2, and it rose up to 112 nmol/L. I used to take thorne's stress b-complex, but stopped once they ran out because I didn't feel anything from it. Only other supplement is an occasional 300mg aspirin tablet, but I don't feel anything from that either.

My Zinc levels have dropped pretty low, so I may try taking 25mg EOD.

Have you tried any thyroid for the hypo symptoms?
Seems pretty Peaty, that’s nice! All the sugar/liquid was not working for me. I got bloated and liver pain. For carbs I take some fruit, potatoes and white rice and buckwheat flakes with milk. Am trying this now and see how it goes. I also take ADKE and b vitamins. I think thiamin is important for irin. Do you also experience a lot of lactic acid?

OP
B

Broco6679

Have you felt a difference including starch vs sugar only? I spoke to Danny Roddy about not being able to tolerate liquids and he suggested it was intestinal irritation which antibiotics could help with if carrot salad or mushrooms don't fix it. I'm not convinced by that, personally. If overall energy production is low and you take in a lot of cold liquid, it'll just reduce body temp further. This will inadvertently cause digestion to worsen, which further worsens temps in a self-perpetuating cycle until you have bloating and stomach pain.

Yeah, tons of lactic acid. I don't do cardio now for obvious reasons, but before I found Peat last year even a light jog would cause severe lactic acid buildup in my side - a typical 'runners stitch', but much more severe. When hypo symptoms are particularly severe, even a brisk walk can cause it. I also feel breathless a lot, which suggests tissue hypoxia from low CO2 production. High pCo2 is needed to displace o2 from the globins to allow it to enter the tissue.

These both suggest that pyruvate isn't entering the krebbs cycle, instead being fermented to lactate. The energetic deficiency that this causes is central to every single one of my health issues. The issue is, I can't figure out how to fix it. B-vitamins which increase pyruvate dehydrogenase activity don't help, aspirin to inhibit lipolysis doesn't help, pufa is absent from the diet, overall fat intake is low and sugar intake is high, I don't tolerate thyroid and bloods look good etc etc.

Something is blocking sugar from being oxidized, I just can't figure out what. It's extremely frustrating because I know the systemic energy deficiency it's causing is the root of every single health issue I have.

I'm guessing you're in a similar position?

Last edited:

Bart1

Have you felt a difference including starch vs sugar only? I spoke to Danny Roddy about not being able to tolerate liquids and he suggested it was intestinal irritation which antibiotics could help with if carrot salad or mushrooms don't fix it. I'm not convinced by that, personally. If overall energy production is low and you take in a lot of cold liquid, it'll just reduce body temp further. This will inadvertently cause digestion to worsen, which further worsens temps in a self-perpetuating cycle until you have bloating and stomach pain.

Yeah, tons of lactic acid. I don't do cardio now for obvious reasons, but before I found Peat last year even a light jog would cause severe lactic acid buildup in my side - a typical 'runners stitch', but much more severe. When hypo symptoms are particularly severe, even a brisk walk can cause it. I also feel breathless a lot, which suggests tissue hypoxia from low CO2 production. High pCo2 is needed to displace o2 from the globins to allow it to enter the tissue.

These both suggest that pyruvate isn't entering the krebbs cycle, instead being fermented to lactate. The energetic deficiency that this causes is central to every single one of my health issues. The issue is, I can't figure out how to fix it. B-vitamins which increase pyruvate dehydrogenase activity don't help, aspirin to inhibit lipolysis doesn't help, pufa is absent from the diet, overall fat intake is low and sugar intake is high, I don't tolerate thyroid and bloods look good etc etc.

Something is blocking sugar from being oxidized, I just can't figure out what. It's extremely frustrating because I know the systemic energy deficiency it's causing is the root of every single health issue I have.

Wow, sounds exactly like me! It's very frustrating to say the least indeed. I have been taking thyroid btw. In very small dosages because I still can't handle much because my digestion is so poor. I take couple of mcg's of T3 throughout the day and at night 1/4 of a cynoplus. It helps.. My liver is in not so great shape, I have difficulty with sleeping (glycogen runs out). If I take more t4 I get a stress response.
About the gut issues now, I'm trying now to get then more into balance. I did a stool test which revealed IBS and some strains I am very very low in. I try to target specific probiotics/prebiotics to bring them more into balance.
About the starch versus sugar. Two things, 1 Sugar wasn't helping me because it didn't get oxidized and it robbed my of minerals and vitamins in the process, which brought on a whole set of very serious problems which I'm dealing with right now... 2 I don't want to live without starch. I mean I try to keep PUFA down to a minimum, but to also quit starch is not a way forward for me and I'm hoping by bringing my gut more into balance, things will resolve eventually. We need glucose. It's also what separates us from the monkeys. Also, other things can produce endotoxin as well.

The funny (or not so funny) thing is for years I thought my hemochromatosis was under control and not much of an issue. The doctor was keeping my ferritin under 100 and was regularly checking my liver values. Little did I now that the iron saturation being high is a serious health issue.

I found out that a couple of things seem to help a bit. Niacinamide throughout the day. Thiamin throughout the day. I'm trying to slowly get those things up more. I also think I'm deficient in zinc. I have white spots on my nails, my nails look very weak and ill. I also tried progesterone, which also did help a bit, but messes with my minerals somehow. Taurine also helps, but I have to cycle it couple of days on, couple of days off. Oh and of course vitamin ADKE.

Maybe we can help each other decipher this!

OP
B

Broco6679

Extremely frustrating. With so many tried and tested things failing, I feel like the problem has to be extremely simple and staring us right in the face; we just can't see it. Digestion could be it. If we're not absorbing the calories and nutrients from food, we're always going to be in a hypothyroid state. The stress response from gut inflammation is a big factor, too. How to fix this is the issue though. Many advocate for a completely sterile gut using antibiotics, whilst others push pro / prebiotic use. If I'm completely honest, I don't think either work all that well. Antibiotics cause digestive issues in so many people when taken for unrelated issues, and I'm yet to see a thread on any forum of someone completely fixing their digestion with probiotics.

What exactly do you feel from taking thyroid? Increase in pulse, temps, energy after eating etc? I tried taking 1/4 grain thyroid-s for a week. hilst it increase both temp and pulse slightly, it gave me some serious neurological issues that took quite a while to subside - left me hesitant to try thyroid again. How did you get the cynoplus btw? I thought that was unavailable now, but I'd love to try synthetics if they're still about.

What does the rest of your blood work look like? Anything stand out as abnormal apart from the iron? I fell into the same trap re: only testing ferritin. I have no idea how long my transferrin was elevated for, probably a long time, haha.

What brand / dose of niacinamide do you use? I've got the Zinc / nail issues too; white spots, brittle nails, dandruff, scruffy tattered look etc. I've considered taking it, but I think this is hypo causing mineral balance issues again like with mag, so I don't think micromanaging each mineral is the way to go. The one time I did take it my nails cleared up real quick but I couldn't find a way to stop it causing gut issues.

How did you feel on the prog? My prog is undetectable. I've got some cortinon on the way so I'll see how that works. I think a large part of my poor response to thyroid was inadequate sex hormones and cortisol.

Aye, more than happy to work together! Where about's are you right now metabolically? Pulse, temp etc.

baccheion

How much calcium were you getting each time? Zinc, iron, calcium, and magnesium all use the same transporter for absorption..

Bart1

Extremely frustrating. With so many tried and tested things failing, I feel like the problem has to be extremely simple and staring us right in the face; we just can't see it. Digestion could be it. If we're not absorbing the calories and nutrients from food, we're always going to be in a hypothyroid state. The stress response from gut inflammation is a big factor, too. How to fix this is the issue though. Many advocate for a completely sterile gut using antibiotics, whilst others push pro / prebiotic use. If I'm completely honest, I don't think either work all that well. Antibiotics cause digestive issues in so many people when taken for unrelated issues, and I'm yet to see a thread on any forum of someone completely fixing their digestion with probiotics.

What exactly do you feel from taking thyroid? Increase in pulse, temps, energy after eating etc? I tried taking 1/4 grain thyroid-s for a week. hilst it increase both temp and pulse slightly, it gave me some serious neurological issues that took quite a while to subside - left me hesitant to try thyroid again. How did you get the cynoplus btw? I thought that was unavailable now, but I'd love to try synthetics if they're still about.

What does the rest of your blood work look like? Anything stand out as abnormal apart from the iron? I fell into the same trap re: only testing ferritin. I have no idea how long my transferrin was elevated for, probably a long time, haha.

What brand / dose of niacinamide do you use? I've got the Zinc / nail issues too; white spots, brittle nails, dandruff, scruffy tattered look etc. I've considered taking it, but I think this is hypo causing mineral balance issues again like with mag, so I don't think micromanaging each mineral is the way to go. The one time I did take it my nails cleared up real quick but I couldn't find a way to stop it causing gut issues.

How did you feel on the prog? My prog is undetectable. I've got some cortinon on the way so I'll see how that works. I think a large part of my poor response to thyroid was inadequate sex hormones and cortisol.

Aye, more than happy to work together! Where about's are you right now metabolically? Pulse, temp etc.
I get the thyroid from a mexican pharmacy. I don't know if they still ship. I can send you a link if you like.

About the bloodwork, I have some other abnormalities:

Since peating my cholesterol has shot up and is elevated right now.
I have low testosterone and low free testosterone and elevated SHBG. I think iron is a blocker in the conversion of cholesterol to the protective hormones. Iron is also a a copper antagonist. So cytochrome c oxidase is being hindered. My ceruplasma is also pretty low, still within range.
Low vitamin D, which I'm trying to raise.
Morning cortisol was high (within range), and seems low now (within range)
calcium started to move up in the range, but still not yet elevated.
My fasting glucose is pretty high 100 mg/dl. i'm not really overweight, although I gained quite a bit during peating, but I guess a lot is water weight. So I think I have insulin resistance.

I have the dandruff too, I was thinking about vitamin A and especially when it seems low in Hemochromatosis patients, although I'm a bit hesitant to go overboard on that.
Niacinamide from life giving store. 80 mg's 4-5 times a day.

I'm battling now with muscle weakness, muscle loss, especially skeletal muscle loss. Insulin resistance seems involved in that. I might also be b12 deficient. I'm going to try that soon and see if it helps.

Pulse temp morning 60/36.4 celcius.

OP
B

Broco6679

How much calcium were you getting each time? Zinc, iron, calcium, and magnesium all use the same transporter for absorption..

Calicum intake has been roughly the same over the last year - 1.5L of milk, ice cream and cheese every day. Only thing that changed between bloods was Magensium intake. It is often the only mineral I struggle to hit with food alone.

OP
B

Broco6679

I get the thyroid from a mexican pharmacy. I don't know if they still ship. I can send you a link if you like.

About the bloodwork, I have some other abnormalities:

Since peating my cholesterol has shot up and is elevated right now.
I have low testosterone and low free testosterone and elevated SHBG. I think iron is a blocker in the conversion of cholesterol to the protective hormones. Iron is also a a copper antagonist. So cytochrome c oxidase is being hindered. My ceruplasma is also pretty low, still within range.
Low vitamin D, which I'm trying to raise.
Morning cortisol was high (within range), and seems low now (within range)
calcium started to move up in the range, but still not yet elevated.
My fasting glucose is pretty high 100 mg/dl. i'm not really overweight, although I gained quite a bit during peating, but I guess a lot is water weight. So I think I have insulin resistance.

I have the dandruff too, I was thinking about vitamin A and especially when it seems low in Hemochromatosis patients, although I'm a bit hesitant to go overboard on that.
Niacinamide from life giving store. 80 mg's 4-5 times a day.

I'm battling now with muscle weakness, muscle loss, especially skeletal muscle loss. Insulin resistance seems involved in that. I might also be b12 deficient. I'm going to try that soon and see if it helps.

Pulse temp morning 60/36.4 celcius.

The more you write, the more you sound like myself. I'll send you a pm to avoid getting this thread off topic haha.

Frankdee20

You could probably go higher on magnesium too.... I seem to require quite a bit some days (when the NMDA blockade isn’t felt as badly as other days)... I can usually tolerate over 500 MG a day but depends on the forms... currently taking a triple magnesium formula

stsfut

The more you write, the more you sound like myself. I'll send you a pm to avoid getting this thread off topic haha.
are you still active on this forum? I feel we are clones in terms of labs. I will try tge mag glyc, I too have high iron sat %

db9

Did you find any relief for your problems? I suffer from the same problems especially the lactic buildup which gets very high at all times. It feel like I've tried everything but nothing helps. The only time I feel my Co2 was high was when I was doing carnivore with very little carbs and doing breath retention exercises all the time and was training very hard as well.

emarie

Wow awesome man, thank you so much for sharing this information! I also have Hemochromatosis and am struggling with the same issues (high serum iron and high saturation). I will definitely try this and see if it improves it. I always feel good after using magnesium, but like you, problems retaining it, due to being hypothyroid.

What does your diet look like ? Are you supplementing other things ? I also saw studies that vitamin A and D are often low in Hemochromatosis patients...
How are things going these days? If better I would be interested in what you think helped. Did you also have pain in your tendons starting at the wrists and ankles?

FitnessMike

coffee and milk smacked most of my iron out of the blood and from the stores, saturation etc

Beastmode

I did a similar panel last month and have added Mg to my daily mix.

250 mg of glycinate with lunch seems to have positive effects. Starting Malate at a lower or similar dose with breakfast later this week.

I'll be interested to see how my panel changes over the next 6 months or so, plus a 2nd blood donation before retesting.

oxphoser

This is great information! I also suffer from high iron. Do you think you will have to continue supplementing 500mg a day going forward?

Bart1

What helped me a lot in bringing iron down is instead of blood donations, which now I’m pretty sick, cause issues become you deplete other vitamins and minerals as well, is a milk fast. A week on milk will definitely help