Magnesium Citrate For Constipation

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yes, I know it's not exactly Peat approved but it is very effective.

OP
J

j.

Charlie said:
Yes, I know it's not exactly Peat approved but it is very effective.

Is Peat opposed to it? Or does he only oppose it if a particular person is sensitive to it? If you don't mind, what's your experience with it? You take a pill and then happily do the deed?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Narouz has said that Peat does not like the "chelate" version of vitamins/minerals. I have not checked into that though.

I usually get the bottled stuff from Walmart or the local pharmacy. Its usually around $1 a bottle. I get 2 bottles, and usually drink 1.5 bottles. If it's your first time maybe take 1 bottle only, and maybe have another bottle ready to go just in case the first bottle doesn't do the duty.

TMI alert below. Don't read below if bathroom talk bothers you.

Man o man. With magnesium citrate you get a complete and full clean out. It can be quite explosive and you want to make sure you can be near the potty at all time. Massive explosions tend to happen. :lol: Mag citrate is what they give you before you go in a do a colonoscopy. It really cleans you out. I usually feel pretty crappy for a little while afterwards because it's a major event when I do it. So yeh, have fun. :rolling

OP
J

j.

There is a pill version. I went today to the bathroom, but felt the job wasn't completely done, so I took a magnesium citrate pill a few hours ago, experimentally, I had a lot of gases for a while but nothing happened yet.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
How many milligrams of mag citrate in the pill? I think the bottles for laxative purposes has around 2000 mgs.

narouz

Wish I could remember the name of the interview,
but it's been quite a while.

Peat did specifically caution against several of the "fancy" magnesium chelates.
Magnesium Citrate was one.
Then there was the other one that is now being touted as specifically effective for removing aluminum I think;
can't recall the name now...
They are the ones usually considered the best and usually more expensive.

I can't remember exactly what Peat said he didn't like about them. :roll:

[edit: I think it was magnesium maleate, the aluminum removing one (supposedly)]

Dan W

It's mentioned in the supplement list that Peat suggests magnesium oxide or magnesium carbonate forms. And I know magnesium oxide is considered an effective laxative, so it could be a good alternative to magnesium citrate. It doesn't have a strong taste, so it'd be easy to gulp down a gram or two.

Mittir

narouz said:
Wish I could remember the name of the interview,
but it's been quite a while.

Peat did specifically caution against several of the "fancy" magnesium chelates.
Magnesium Citrate was one.
Then there was the other one that is now being touted as specifically effective for removing aluminum I think;
can't recall the name now...
They are the ones usually considered the best and usually more expensive.

I can't remember exactly what Peat said he didn't like about them. :roll:

[edit: I think it was magnesium maleate, the aluminum removing one (supposedly)]

Ray Peat did mention in KMUD: Hair loss, Osteoporosis that citric acid increases calcium loss through kidney.
That is why he is against using calcium citrate. In that sense magnesium citrate would do the same.
I remember he mentioned in some interview about toxicity of amino acid in magnesium chelate.
Magnesium citrate is not in amino acid chelate form.

narouz

I think Magnesium Glycinate was another one that Peat mentioned as
something to be avoided.

And thanks, Mittir, on the chelate correction.
I tried to figure out just exactly what a chelate was
but...I failed. :lol:

Actually, I think it just popped into my head from years ago!:
chelation is when the metal is bound to an AMINO ACID, isn't it?

Now, the magnesium glycinate.
Using your viewpoint, one might think glycinate might be okay
since Peat likes glycine (although, now that I think on it, he doesn't recommend aminos in isolation)
One might imagine he'd be okay with it from that angle.

At any rate, I do seem to recall the glycinated form as one of the magnesiums to be avoided.
I'm pretty sure it was toward the end of one of the East-West shows.

OP
J

j.

The stuff about citric acid is enlightening, didn't know about that. So, is citric acid from citric fruits ok, probably due to nutrients it comes with? But citric acid added to say, sodas or supplements, is bad because interferes at some level with calcium metabolism?

Stunning4keke

i have been using the Calm magnesuim citrate for constipation and yes it sure works. i think i may also pull out some moisture in the bowels, not sure but i don't think it's good for long term. what about a mag glycinate?

haidut

Forum Supporter
In one of his articles on his website RP says that MagGly lowers serotonin. So if there was a way to ensure that the supplement was clean and without additives then MagGly would be a great supplement to take. As far as i know only one company makes a properly chelated supplement like that and it has a patent on it. The rumor is that all other vendors on the market just sell plain magnesium and glycine mixture without the elements being chemically bonded. I took some of the non patented versions and i have to say that it gave me some pretty bad nightmares. Very similar in experience to melatonin, which i was taking years before stumbling onto RP. IMO the best magnesium supplement is magnesium bicarbonate, which like sodim bicarbonatr has some additional benefits due to the CO2 it provides. Not to mention that it is much more absorbable than the magnesium pills of any form. Just google magnesium bicarbinate and you will find recipes for making it at home. For me personally it gives me an insane libido boost and i sleep like a 5 year old when i take it. Anyways, here is the RP article that talks about MagGly and a link on hiw to make magnesium bicarbonate:
http://www.acupuncturebrooklyn.com/how- ... nate-water

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/aging-eyes.shtml
"...There are several prescription drugs that protect against serotonin excess, but thyroid and gelatin (or glycine, as in magnesium glycinate) are protective against the serotonin and melatonin toxicities."

Combie

Magnesium Oxide - extremely cheap and extremely effective. Like all laxatives though, something you only wanna do once in a while when necessary. Plenty of water with a squeeze of lemon helps a lot with mag oxide too.

HDD

haidut said:
In one of his articles on his website RP says that MagGly lowers serotonin. So if there was a way to ensure that the supplement was clean and without additives then MagGly would be a great supplement to take. As far as i know only one company makes a properly chelated supplement like that and it has a patent on it. The rumor is that all other vendors on the market just sell plain magnesium and glycine mixture without the elements being chemically bonded. I took some of the non patented versions and i have to say that it gave me some pretty bad nightmares. Very similar in experience to melatonin, which i was taking years before stumbling onto RP. IMO the best magnesium supplement is magnesium bicarbonate, which like sodim bicarbonatr has some additional benefits due to the CO2 it provides. Not to mention that it is much more absorbable than the magnesium pills of any form. Just google magnesium bicarbinate and you will find recipes for making it at home. For me personally it gives me an insane libido boost and i sleep like a 5 year old when i take it. Anyways, here is the RP article that talks about MagGly and a link on hiw to make magnesium bicarbonate:

"...There are several prescription drugs that protect against serotonin excess, but thyroid and gelatin (or glycine, as in magnesium glycinate) are protective against the serotonin and melatonin toxicities."

Are you drinking the magnesium carbonate daily? Do you drink this to bowel tolerance?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Haagendazendiane said:
haidut said:

Are you drinking the magnesium carbonate daily? Do you drink this to bowel tolerance?

Yes, I am drinking 300ml of Magnesium Bicarbonate liquid at night before going to bed. Been doing so for the last 3 weeks, since I discovered the formula for making it online. The 300ml of liquid provides about 500mg elemental magnesium. I get some bowel noise about 10min after I drink it, but no loose stools or anything of the sort. Within 30min I get very sleepy and relaxed and go to bed. I sleep through the night like a baby - no getting up to pee, no random waking up at night to a pounding heart, no morning anxiety. All of these were pretty much the norm before going Peat style, and many other Peat recommended supplements helped but the MagBicarb appears to be most broadly acting since it alleviated all of the negative symptoms I had at night. I stopped drinking it for 2 nights and I still slept very well, so whatever this form of magnesium is doing seems to be persistent as well. I will keep you guys posted on my progress or if I encounter any bad side effects, but at least for me 300ml of MagBicarb nightly works like a charm. So far I see no reason to increase or decrease the dosage, but eventually will probably stop for a week to see if the effects are truly long lasting.

HDD

I made it yesterday and consumed about a third of the liter. So a little less than 500 mg. It tastes bad so I mix it with OJ. I got extremely tired and sleepy around 10 p.m. Too tired for salt bath. I still took my usual other things that include Benadryl.. I normally read in bed and tried to listen to a podcast but couldn't stay awake. I was able to tolerate that amount bowel wise.

I have been sipping on it again today and going to skip Benadryl tonight.

BP yesterday was prehypertension. Today---118/67

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Diane, any updates from last night?

HDD

The magnesium bicarbonate is very relaxing. I used Schweppes club soda that has potassium in it. I need to find what I read about potassium to remember why I chose that.* The amount I am consuming seems right for bowels.

Was not a good night to give up Benadyl. Maybe tonight.

*blood pressure was reason