Magnesium Chloride Slows Gastric Emptying, But Does Not Affect Digestive Functions

Giraffe

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
An inverse relationship has been established between serum magnesium and serum lipid levels. By means of breath tests, we tested the hypothesis that magnesium inhibits intraluminal lipid digestion and subsequently causes changes in lipid metabolism. We also investigated the influence of the administration of magnesium chloride on protein digestion and gastric emptying.

METHODS:
Five healthy volunteers performed simultaneous breath tests for gastric emptying and intraluminal lipid digestion, and six others for gastric emptying and protein digestion. Each test was performed in basal conditions and after the intake of 800 mg of magnesium chloride dissolved in water. Breath samples were taken at regular time intervals and analysed for 13CO2 and 14CO2 enrichment in order to calculate gastric emptying and lipid and protein digestion rates.

RESULTS:
The oral administration of a single dose of magnesium chloride resulted in a diminished rate of intraluminal lipid and protein digestion. The most pronounced effect of magnesium chloride, however, was a decreased gastric emptying rate of both test meals. After correction for gastric emptying, no differences were noted in intraluminal lipid or protein digestion. Therefore, the lower lipid levels noted after magnesium supplementation are unlikely to be the result of altered lipid assimilation.

CONCLUSION:
Magnesium chloride slows gastric emptying but does not influence lipid digestion.

full text link

YuraCZ

I drink every day around 10g of magnesium chloride in 1,5 l of water. But way more effective is transdermal absorption in hot bath with at least 150 g of magnesium chloride. It's so relaxing and much more effective. It goes directly into the sore muscles etc..

jyb

YuraCZ said:
post 114604 I drink every day around 10g of magnesium chloride in 1,5 l of water. But way more effective is transdermal absorption in hot bath with at least 150 g of magnesium chloride. It's so relaxing and much more effective. It goes directly into the sore muscles etc..

Studies seem to show hot bath magnesium chloride is well absorbed. I suppose you need to use a whole lot more than orally, though. A way to save money is just do a feet bath. How many teaspoons do you take orally per session? I have magnesium chloride flakes and I wonder what's a good dose (neither too small nor too high).

Last edited by a moderator:

YuraCZ

jyb said:
post 114607
YuraCZ said:
post 114604 I drink every day around 10g of magnesium chloride in 1,5 l of water. But way more effective is transdermal absorption in hot bath with at least 150 g of magnesium chloride. It's so relaxing and much more effective. It goes directly into the sore muscles etc..

Studies seem to show hot bath magnesium chloride is well absorbed. I suppose you need to use a whole lot more than orally, though. A way to save money is just do a feet bath. How many teaspoons do you take orally per session? I have magnesium chloride flakes and I wonder what's a good dose (neither too small nor too high).
Orally per session? I just drink 1,5l of water with 10g of magnesium chloride during the day and if possible at least 3x per week hot bath with 150-200g of magnesium chloride for at least 20 min. Water is really hot so I sweat afterwards, which is also good detox..

Last edited by a moderator: