Magnesium Bioavailability Considerations

MarcelZD

Magnesium deficiency is notoriously difficult to correct. I have been experimenting with different forms and I have noticed that in my case less water soluble forms are far more helpful when it comes to energy levels, ability to exercise etc. .

The most interesting difference I have noticed is that Tri-Magnesium Dicitrate in its insoluble form seems to be much more effective than the anhydrous form of the Tri-Magnesium Dicitrate, the latter of which is readily soluble in water. Is it possible that the very soluble forms of Magnesium (including taurate, glycinate and chloride, which I have all tried to no effect) are absorbed too rapidly and due to the limits of magnesium uptake rapidly excreted in the urine?

This review claims that signifcant magnesium uptake takes place in the ileum:

Percentage of magnesium absorption in the GI tract. The majority of magnesium is absorbed in the distal portion of the small intestine. The ileum absorbs 56%, the jejunum 22%, the duodenum 11%, and colon 11%.

An insoluble form like Magnesium Oxide or Tri-Magnesium Dicitrate could thus be superior in that it slowly dissolves over the course of hours and not much of it is excreted.

The common method of measuring magnesium biovailability is urinary excretion, but is it possible that this approach is entirely misguided and instead only measures how quickly any particular form is lost from the body?

I would be interested in reading some of your thoughts and experiences.

Last edited:

GTW

Mg may form insoluble soaps with fatty acids. However, may be absorbed in the gut by the action of microbes.

MayaPapaya

Magnesium deficiency is notoriously difficult to correct. I have been experimenting with different forms and I have noticed that in my case less water soluble forms are far more helpful when it comes to energy levels, ability to exercise etc. .

The most interesting difference I have noticed is that Tri-Magnesium Dicitrate in its insoluble form seems to be much more effective than the anhydrous form of the Tri-Magnesium Dicitrate, the latter of which is readily soluble in water. Is it possible that the very soluble forms of Magnesium (including taurate, glycinate and chloride, which I have all tried to no effect) are absorbed too rapidly and due to the limits of magnesium uptake rapidly excreted in the urine?

This review claims that signifcant magnesium uptake takes place in the ileum:

An insoluble form like Magnesium Oxide or Tri-Magnesium Dicitrate could thus be superior in that it slowly dissolves over the course of hours and not much of it is excreted.

The common method of measuring magnesium biovailability is urinary excretion, but is it possible that this approach is entirely misguided and instead only measures how quickly any particular form is lost from the body?

I would be interested in reading some of your thoughts and experiences.
Have tried numerous sources/forms of Mg, but only Carolyn Dean 's Pico-Ionic ReMag seems to be working.

Birdie

Ray Peat on bioavailability of Mg:

"Magnesium is lost during stress, and that can lead to destabilization of the mast cells, with increased release of histamine and other promoters of inflammation and excitation. Thyroid hormone helps cells to assimilate and retain magnesium. Estrogen's effect on magnesium seems to be antagonistic"

"Fruits and meats are good sources of magnesium, but coffee and chocolate are among the best sources of it, and the caffeine they contain adds to their antiinflammatory and liver-protective effect (see Sakamoto, et al., 1999)."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals