Magnesium Bicarbonate

tara

Would magnesium carbonate be a good supplement ?
I think Peat has written or spoken favourable of it. I'm assuming less absorbable, but still useful.

Giraffe

In my nutritional consults I advise 10mg total for the day, split up into 5mg doses. 5mg with 500mg mag in the am, and then again in the pm.

To add: btw 500 is for other forms of mag. For bicarb form eveybody reacts differently to it so I play by ear for that form.
Thanks jb116. 5 mg B6 give me very vivid dreams. :beammeup

paymanz

i have 1 kilo of magnesium citrate , is it good idea to add baking soda to it? it reacts in water but im not sure what it yields?

papaya

i have been mixing my lemon flavored natural calm which is ionic magnesium citrate into coke zero. i'm wondering if this would make magnesium bicarbonate or does the phosphoric acid/citric acid prevent it. also hoping it's not a dangerous combo. hopefully someone has an answer for me. i also add some trace mineral drops to all my drinks & wondering if the citric acid does something bad to them.

cdg

Magnesium bicarbonate can't exist in powder form. Boiling the solution will give you magnesium carbonate.

Magnesium hydroxide + carbonated water:
Mg(OH)2 + 2 CO2 → Mg(HCO3)2

When you boil the solution:
Mg2+ + 2 HCO3− → MgCO3 + CO2 + H2O
Since you are conversant with chemistry can you please comment my idea of making magnesium carbonate:

Not too keen in using the standard method of making MgCO3 with soda water and liquid Mg(OH)2. Instead I should like to make it from scratch as the Soda water is often made with fluorided city water and the Mg(OH)2 has other additives so I thought of doing this the following way.

Mix ascorbic acid with some water and baking soda. This produces lots of carbon dioxide then put in Fridge to cool and let the CO2 absorb just like the Soda water, once cool open and add pure Mg(OH)2 powder close and gently shake to make till very thing is clear to make MgCO3.

C6H7NaO6 + 2 CO2 + Mg(OH)2 + 0 {-}1H2O = C6H8O6 + NaHCO3 + MgCO3

As per : Balance Chemical Equation - Online Balancer - Chemistry Online Education

Any other suggestions such how many grams each chemical and water etc will be most welcome.

Many Thanks

paymanz

Anyone know why magnesium would cause anxiety and depression?
I'm not sure about why Mg cause that.but as Mg is increased in serum of depressed patients ,and b6 can decrease it by improve Mg absorption into the cells ,so I think b6 can help with that.and probably b5 too.

tara

Since you are conversant with chemistry can you please comment my idea of making magnesium carbonate:
I don't have any chemistry to contribute, but Mg carbonate can be bought as powder. I've got some from purebulk. Seems simpler than making it.

squanch

Not too keen in using the standard method of making MgCO3 with soda water and liquid Mg(OH)2. Instead I should like to make it from scratch as the Soda water is often made with fluorided city water and the Mg(OH)2 has other additives so I thought of doing this the following way.

Mix ascorbic acid with some water and baking soda. This produces lots of carbon dioxide then put in Fridge to cool and let the CO2 absorb just like the Soda water, once cool open and add pure Mg(OH)2 powder close and gently shake to make till very thing is clear to make MgCO3.

C6H7NaO6 + 2 CO2 + Mg(OH)2 + 0 {-}1H2O = C6H8O6 + NaHCO3 + MgCO3

As per : Balance Chemical Equation - Online Balancer - Chemistry Online Education

Any other suggestions such how many grams each chemical and water etc will be most welcome.

Many Thanks
Did you mean magnesium bicarbonate (Mg(HCO3)2)? Because like tara said, you could just buy magnesium carbonate.

If you want to make magnesium bicarbonate:
I don't think you can create enough carbonation with just ascorbic acid and baking soda to be honest. You generally need lots of CO2 and high pressure.
If you want to make it from scratch, I would buy one of those soda machines (like sodastream) and make your own carbonated water with that.
I also can't get any additive free milk of magnesia where I live and use a food grade Mg(OH)2 powder to make the magnesium bicarbonate.

cdg

Did you mean magnesium bicarbonate (Mg(HCO3)2)? Because like tara said, you could just buy magnesium carbonate.

If you want to make magnesium bicarbonate:
I don't think you can create enough carbonation with just ascorbic acid and baking soda to be honest. You generally need lots of CO2 and high pressure.
If you want to make it from scratch, I would buy one of those soda machines (like sodastream) and make your own carbonated water with that.
I also can't get any additive free milk of magnesia where I live and use a food grade Mg(OH)2 powder to make the magnesium bicarbonate.

Thanks squanch and Tara, not too clear what the benefits of Bicarbonate vs carbonate are? Like Tara says why go thorough all the bother if the carbonate will do? Thanks.

squanch

Thanks squanch and Tara, not too clear what the benefits of Bicarbonate vs carbonate are? Like Tara says why go thorough all the bother if the carbonate will do? Thanks.
The bicarbonate form is A LOT better absorbed than the carbonate form (or pretty much all other forms). Better absorbed in this case means not spontaneously sh***ing your pants because you accidentally took to much magnesium...

cdg

The bicarbonate form is A LOT better absorbed than the carbonate form (or pretty much all other forms). Better absorbed in this case means not spontaneously sh***ing your pants because you accidentally took to much magnesium...

Many thanks squanch at the moment I am just taking MgCl 50gms mixed in 250 ml water solution with a little salt in it at a dose of a teaspoon first thing in the morning with my og and milk and same with og only before going to bed. Not sure what it is doing but that's the routine at the moment - sure should like to try the bicarbonate and see how that feels.

tara

The bicarbonate form is A LOT better absorbed than the carbonate form (or pretty much all other forms).
That's my understanding too.

I just talked about buying Mg carbonate because you because @cdg talked about making it.
I am using Mg carbonate at the moment rather than Mg bicarbonate - not sure exactly why I'm drawn to it, but it doesn't taste as unpleasant to me as Mg glycinate, and Peat has mentioned it being a reasonable form. But I might go back to making Mg bicarbonate for it's better absorption at some stage.

meatbag

http://www.afibbers.org/Wallerwater.pdf

All you need is milk of magnesia and seltzer. Chill the seltzer, pour/funnel in 3 tablespoons of milk of magnesia, put the cap back on and shake it up for 30 seconds, leave in the fridge for half an hour, and it goes crystal clear. Shake it up again and it'll get cloudy again. It'll settle and become clear for good once all the magnesium hydroxide reacts with the carbon dioxide.

I've only been using this for a few days, but every other form of magnesium I've tried (citrate, glycinate, chloride), even in small amounts, sends me rushing to the bathroom pretty quickly. I don't know why I've had that issue. But I've almost gone through the whole liter (about 1500mg of magnesium total) in a few days and have had a lot more success than with other forms of magnesium. i.e. my bowels seem like they're pretty stable with this stuff. It might be a little early to tell, but even in one 200mg dose of magnesium glycinate, for example, I'd pretty much need to be within a stone's throw of a bathroom and wouldn't dare go out anywhere.

I've been sipping at it between meals. Not sure if the high pH is an issue or not and if I should even it out with a little citric acid, and if the citric acid would react with the magnesium bicarbonate or not (I'm definitely no chemistry buff). But I've been trying to have about 1 cup a day, which would be about 375mg of magnesium.

Between epsom salt + baking soda baths, orange juice, coffee and occasional chocolate, I'm much better off than I was, but I think the magnesium bicarbonate is so easy to make and can be a good way to ensure that I'm getting enough magnesium.

I'm also reminded of Danny Roddy's article here:

http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2013/13/ ... id-hormone

Thanks for posting this jib :phantom:

LeeLemonoil

A high purity Mg-Carbonate powder mixed into carbonated natural mineral water (low in flouride) yields Mg-Bicarbonate as well.

Frankdee20

Can someone give me a simple ratio using 30 ml of MOM, supplying 2400 mg as hydroxide, to seltzer water ? I can’t do exploding liter bottles

meatbag

Okay I must be making this wrong, it keps messing up my stomach... I am just putting 45 mL, 3 tablespoons, into 1 Liter of Carbonated Seltzer Water and then then shaking and putting in the fridge for an hour.

Anyone got any pro-tips???:artist: I am trying a new batch with only 1 tablsepoon/Liter, so 500mg Mg+/Liter rather than 1500mg, hopefully that doesn't bother me and it absorbs. I'm assuming I'm getting too much Mghydroxide left over and that is causing the bad effects

Last edited:

meatbag

Can someone give me a simple ratio using 30 ml of MOM, supplying 2400 mg as hydroxide, to seltzer water ? I can’t do exploding liter bottles

Mine seems to only fizzle over when I add more than 2.5 tablespoons, otherwise it stays in the bottle. Once sealed and put in the fridge the bottle will actually Squeeze up due to the nature of the chemical reaction taking place

meatbag

Mine seems to only fizzle over when I add more than 2.5 tablespoons, otherwise it stays in the bottle. Once sealed and put in the fridge the bottle will actually Squeeze up due to the nature of the chemical reaction taking place
(I am using the 'Polar" brand seltzer water btw)

TripleOG

Wish this stuff would taste better. Lol.

I use the 4gram Mag Hydroxide to 1L Seltzer ratio. Sometimes I'll go a little under 4 grams to ensure proper mixture incase Seltzer isn't well carbonated.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals