Magnesium Bicarbonate

Brian

I definitely prefer Magnesium Carbonate + Seltzer Water, as opposed to Magnesium Hydroxide (Milk of Magnesia). It takes about 24 hours and multiples shakings to fully react, but it leaves a very pleasing amount of carbonation left over from the reaction.

1 tablespoon Magnesium carbonate powder to 1 liter of seltzer water, yielding about 1500mg of Magnesium in the solution.

ghg

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7188#p89405

For those who cannot tolerate much magnesium bicarbonate (e.g. Waller Water), one can use magnesium acetate transdermally (rub thick liquid onto skin) to bypass the gut and the diarrhea. Magnesium acetate metabolizes into magnesium bicarbonate. That way, you can have effective high dose magnesium bicarbonate supplementation without the diarrhea.
--ghg

Giraffe

I am thinking about getting magnesium hydroxide powder, and I wonder how to mix it.

I would add powder to chilled seltzer water, shake it and cool it for a while. If everything is crystal clear and there are no bubbles left, this means the powder is completely dissolved and there is no way to dissolve more in it. Is that right? How much powder could I expect to get dissolved in one liter of seltzer water?

tara

I've added 3/4-1 tsp to about 1.2 l soda water. Any more powder than this and I get more sediment.
At visionofstrength's recommendation, vigorous shaking every now and then, and chilling it, both seem to help. I stuck mine in the freezer briefly before adding Mg hydroxide, and then again after, long enough for it to just start to freeze slightly, then shook it up again before transferring to fridge. Easier not to have a full bottle, as it fizzes wildly when you fist add the powder. And be ready to cap it quickly. Eventually some sediment seems to settle out over a week or two ofr more if I don't drink it fast enough.

livrepensador

Hey guys, what´s up?

Im thinking about starting consuming Magnesium bicarbonate (Milk of magnesia + carbonated water) soon.
But i´m very afraid about "non-natural" supplements (im always prefer to find food sources of certain minerals).
So my question is:
- Do youy guys think it is safe? Why?
- Dis this study has some information for this thread? Whats does it mean?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20579398

Thak you! :D

A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the short term effects of a spring water supplemented with magnesium bicarbonate on acid/base balance, bone metabolism and cardiovascular risk factors in postmenopausal women.
Day RO1, Liauw W, Tozer LM, McElduff P, Beckett RJ, Williams KM.
Author information
Abstract

BACKGROUND:

A number of health benefits including improvements in acid/base balance, bone metabolism, and cardiovascular risk factors have been attributed to the intake of magnesium rich alkaline mineral water. This study was designed to investigate the effects of the regular consumption of magnesium bicarbonate supplemented spring water on pH, biochemical parameters of bone metabolism, lipid profile and blood pressure in postmenopausal women.

FINDINGS:

In this double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group, study, 67 postmenopausal women were randomised to receive between 1500 mL and 1800 mL daily of magnesium bicarbonate supplemented spring water (650 mg/L bicarbonate, 120 mg/L magnesium, pH 8.3-8.5) (supplemented water group) or spring water without supplements (control water group) over 84 days. Over this period biomarkers of bone turnover (serum parathyroid hormone (PTH), 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D, osteocalcin, urinary telopeptides and hydroxyproline), serum lipids (total cholesterol, HDL-cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol and triglycerides), venous and urinary pH were measured together with measurements of standard biochemistry, haematology and urine examinations.Serum magnesium concentrations and urinary pH in subjects consuming the magnesium bicarbonate supplemented water increased significantly at Day 84 compared to subjects consuming the spring water control (magnesium - p = 0.03; pH - p = 0.018). The consumption of spring water led to a trend for an increase in parathyroid hormone (PTH) concentrations while the PTH concentrations remained stable with the intake of the supplemented spring water. However there were no significant effects of magnesium bicarbonate supplementation in changes to biomarkers of bone mineral metabolism (n-telopeptides, hydroxyproline, osteocalcin and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D) or serum lipids or blood pressure in postmenopausal women from Day 0 to Day 84.

CONCLUSIONS:

Short term regular ingestion of magnesium bicarbonate supplemented water provides a source of orally available magnesium. Long term clinical studies are required to investigate any health benefits.

livrepensador

By the way, i saw in other forum some people discussing this subject:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.ph ... ink.36203/

And this quotes got my attention:

"The basic chemistry is sound - when you mix carbonic acid (ie carbonated water) with a magnesium salt (eg milk of magnesia) you make a solution of magnesium bicarbonate. That is quite straightforward.

Also the absorbtion of Mg is better when in solution, and Mg supplementation helps with deficiencies. So no problem with that either.

I'd take issue with the hype: "rare and powerful" ... "incredible effects" ... "hidden power"

and the errors: "bicarbonates are the primary transporters of oxygen within the body" (no, haemoglobin is)

etc etc

IOW, if you need Mg and can tolerate this form of it then fine (though you say you already are taking Mg supplements ?) If you find bicarb helps you feel better also good, but it's not anything special or miraculous. "

And this one from the same user:

"Hi Gingergrrl. I would be suspicious of that claim, though metabolic chemistry at that level is v. complicated and I don't know enough of it to be clear as to what might be going on with Mg and cells even in a healthy person, let alone where there may be problems or damage.

I know there have been some studies on bicarb in athletes, showing a few percentage gain in performance - when they take it before intense exercise - so maybe the bicarb in the mix helps do something for "fatigue" and it might affect Mg uptake as well.

Best guess is that I can't see it being significantly different form any other Mg in solution (I don't know, but I'm pretty sure the people who are marketing this stuff don't know either !)

The easiest thing is probably to try it and see how you feel. Carbonated water and magnesia are cheap, and in ordinary dosages should be fairly safe. Might give you the runs or a bit of indigestion ?

Or maybe just stick to what you're already taking if that seems to help anyway. "

What do you guys think?

tara

I think I benefit from a bit more Mg than I get in my food, so I want some kind of supplement. I was induced to try it by claims here of it being particularly well absorbed.

I do not know how to assess the safety/contamination of the Mg hydroxide powder I got. I chose it because it was what I could get that didn't have ant added excipients, and just hoping it doesn't have too much other junk in it. I think I personally benefit from supplementing, and I don't have reason to think this form of Mg is more contaminated than others I've tried, but have not investigated.
I guess there might be concerns about the plastic bottles leaching - don't know if they leach more or less with Mg bicarb than just the CO2 in the water.

I initially found the taste quite acceptable, but eventiually went off the taste, and haven't got around to making it up for a while. I am not aware of any other negatives with it, and never took enough to get any negative digestive symptoms. I haven't had any rofm other forms either. The other stuff I take doesn't taste any better, but I've been taking it with less water. I guess this may not be a good thing.

livrepensador

tara said:
post 114509 I think I benefit from a bit more Mg than I get in my food, so I want some kind of supplement. I was induced to try it by claims here of it being particularly well absorbed.

I do not know how to assess the safety/contamination of the Mg hydroxide powder I got. I chose it because it was what I could get that didn't have ant added excipients, and just hoping it doesn't have too much other junk in it. I think I personally benefit from supplementing, and I don't have reason to think this form of Mg is more contaminated than others I've tried, but have not investigated.
I guess there might be concerns about the plastic bottles leaching - don't know if they leach more or less with Mg bicarb than just the CO2 in the water.

I initially found the taste quite acceptable, but eventiually went off the taste, and haven't got around to making it up for a while. I am not aware of any other negatives with it, and never took enough to get any negative digestive symptoms. I haven't had any rofm other forms either. The other stuff I take doesn't taste any better, but I've been taking it with less water. I guess this may not be a good thing.

Hey tara, thanks for the response.
I did it and find the taste odd, but, as you said, acceptable. This night i will drink before bed and tomorrow i report the results.

Im thinking about something now.... but im really bad at chemistry: After making the bicarbonate magnesium what happens if we boil the water? Did we get the bicarbonate magnesium powder?

Last edited by a moderator:

squanch

livrepensador said:
post 114589 Im thinking about something now.... but im really bad at chemistry: After making the bicarbonate magnesium what happens if we boil the water? Did we get the bicarbonate magnesium powder?

Magnesium bicarbonate can't exist in powder form. Boiling the solution will give you magnesium carbonate.

Magnesium hydroxide + carbonated water:
Mg(OH)2 + 2 CO2 → Mg(HCO3)2

When you boil the solution:
Mg2+ + 2 HCO3− → MgCO3 + CO2 + H2O

livrepensador

Skally said:
livrepensador said:
post 114589 Im thinking about something now.... but im really bad at chemistry: After making the bicarbonate magnesium what happens if we boil the water? Did we get the bicarbonate magnesium powder?

Magnesium bicarbonate can't exist in powder form. Boiling the solution will give you magnesium carbonate.

Magnesium hydroxide + carbonated water:
Mg(OH)2 + 2 CO2 → Mg(HCO3)2

When you boil the solution:
Mg2+ + 2 HCO3− → MgCO3 + CO2 + H2O

Thank you skally.... another question ? Would magnesium carbonate be a good supplement ?

squanch

livrepensador said:
post 114643 Thank you skally.... another question ? Would magnesium carbonate be a good supplement ?

Absorption rate isn't that great and it will lower stomach acid somewhat.
I would stick with magnesium bicarbonate and maybe some topical magnesium chloride.

livrepensador

Skally said:
post 114693
livrepensador said:
post 114643 Thank you skally.... another question ? Would magnesium carbonate be a good supplement ?

Absorption rate isn't that great and it will lower stomach acid somewhat.
I would stick with magnesium bicarbonate and maybe some topical magnesium chloride.

Thak you so much Skally !
Yesterday i took 150 ml of the solution and i did not notice any effect..... btw i get a insomnia :cool:
I think i gonna start use magnesium chloride topically as you said....... but i dont have any idea how to use :roll:
Do you mix the magnesium chloride with water and then how much and where should i apply ?
Thanks again !

squanch

livrepensador said:
post 114723 Thak you so much Skally !
Yesterday i took 150 ml of the solution and i did not notice any effect..... btw i get a insomnia :cool:
I think i gonna start use magnesium chloride topically as you said....... but i dont have any idea how to use :roll:
Do you mix the magnesium chloride with water and then how much and where should i apply ?
Thanks again !

150ml really isn't that much. Try something around 500ml (750mg of el. magnesium) and see how you feel. If you get diarrhea take a little bit of b6 (p5p) with it.

The standard magnesium oil you can buy contains 30% magnesium chloride (you could also make your own with magnesium chloride flakes and water I guess)
You put that in a spray bottle, spray it all over your body and rub it in. The longer you leave it on the better, but it gets really itchy and sticky after a while. It's a lot more effective in the summer, because you can just slather the magnesium oil on and then go out and sit in the sun for a few hours which really enhances the absorption and also makes it a lot less itchy.

NathanK

Giraffe said:
post 100717 I am thinking about getting magnesium hydroxide powder, and I wonder how to mix it.
good idea! Surprised I didnt think of that. Would be a lot easier than buying bottles of MoM every couple months. Prob cheaper too. Bulksupplements on Amazon sells some. It looks like many of the reviewer use it to make deodorant too

Giraffe

B6 facillitates the uptake of magnesium into the cell. Otherwise unused levels can lead to loose stools.
Yah, I know that B6 and magnesium work together, but it's the first time I saw B6 mentioned to prevent the laxative effect of magnesium. About what dose of each are we talking?

J

jb116

Yah, I know that B6 and magnesium work together, but it's the first time I saw B6 mentioned to prevent the laxative effect of magnesium. About what dose of each are we talking?
In my nutritional consults I advise 10mg total for the day, split up into 5mg doses. 5mg with 500mg mag in the am, and then again in the pm.

To add: btw 500 is for other forms of mag. For bicarb form eveybody reacts differently to it so I play by ear for that form.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals