Magnesium As Possible Treatment For Tinnitus

haidut

Forum Supporter
There have been very few studies in successful treatments of tinnitus. Taurine and phospholipids are the two most commonly discussed OTC remedies that have some evidence behind them. This study adds magnesium as another possible option. More importantly it implicates the NMDA receptor as pathogenic in this condition and suggests that other NMDA antagonists would work as well. Some of the more popular ones include the brain drugs like memantine, bromantane and amantadine. These treatments aside, I think keeping the intestine from getting irritated may provide the most direct benefit.

Saturation of long-term potentiation in the dorsal cochlear nucleus and its pharmacological reversal in an experimental model of tinnitus
Magnesium could offer fresh hope to tinnitus sufferers
"...This intervention is successful, but by the time the temporary hearing loss disappears, the signal boost has been stored as a “memory” in the dorsal cochlear nucleus, a memory which is not easily forgotten. The consequences of this scenario is tinnitus, a false signal generation which is perceived in the absence of an external stimulus. In brief, we have shown that tinnitus is a state of continuous painful learning. We showed that tinnitus sets in at a specific sound frequency, after the experience of loud sound exposure. Better yet, we showed that a high magnesium diet can prevent the dorsal cochlear nucleus from turning the dials all the way up and locking this in place as a memory. With that intervention, we were able to prevent the subsequent perception of tinnitus.

Let Go

Nice! This is for short term noise exposure with no major damage. It would be cool to see what happens with someone with long term noise exposure (factory worker etc.) And more serious acoustic trauma.

Let Go

The longer some people go with moderate to severe tinnitus it starts to become a psychological issue also (am I hearing the ringing or am I making it up?)

B

Braveheart

In my youth, 13 years in mainframe computer rooms...the machines and air conditioning fans/noise were enough to affect hearing loss after 6 years...I guess that is reason for my very bad tinnitus now? (age 72)...which nothing has been able to improve...I've been looking at endotoxin and soft tissue calcification, but not convinced...though leaning toward soft tissue calcification due to possible atherosclerosis.

Let Go

Tympanosclerosis (calcification of the eardrum) and otosclerosis (calcification of the ossicular chain) can cause hearing loss but aren't caused by noise exposure. Otosclerosis commonly occurs in pregnant women. These would be conductive losses where a noise induced loss is called a sensorineural loss.

Spokey

Haidut, are you aware of any connection between nitric oxide and tinnitus?

aguilaroja

Tympanosclerosis (calcification of the eardrum) and otosclerosis (calcification of the ossicular chain) can cause hearing loss but aren't caused by noise exposure. Otosclerosis commonly occurs in pregnant women. These would be conductive losses ...

Thanks! AFAIK, the otosclerosis of pregnancy has not been well reviewed in light of metabolism. For series of women with otosclerosis of pregnancy, better research data could be gathered about hormones, metabolism, and the course of pregnancies.

While otosclerosis has been associated with oral contraceptive (i.e. synthetic estrogen excess), one cohort study does not find association:
The effect of sex hormones on bone metabolism of the otic capsule--an overview. - PubMed - NCBI “No evidence of any adverse effect of oral contraceptives on ear disease was detected.”

But other research is suggestive:
The effect of sex hormones on bone metabolism of the otic capsule--an overview. - PubMed - NCBI
“ Long-term estrogen treatment in guinea pig results in hyperprolactinemia and has been shown to lead to hearing loss as well as bone dysmorphology of the otic capsule.”
“…oral contraception treatment and hormone replacement therapies, involving estrogen together with progestin, increases the risk of otosclerosis and vestibular disorders. Hyperprolactinemia associated with pregnancy and lactation might also underlie the association of increased risk of otosclerosis with multiple pregnancies.”

Experimental estrogen-induced hyperprolactinemia results in bone-related hearing loss in the guinea pig. - PubMed - NCBI
“…otic capsule and hair cell pathology associated with estrogen-induced prolonged hyperprolactinemia and suggest that conditions such as pregnancy, anti-psychotic drug treatment, aging, and/or stress might lead to similar ear dysfunctions.”

So, prolactin lowering strategies may be one possibility.

Let Go

Thanks! AFAIK, the otosclerosis of pregnancy has not been well reviewed in light of metabolism. For series of women with otosclerosis of pregnancy, better research data could be gathered about hormones, metabolism, and the course of pregnancies.

While otosclerosis has been associated with oral contraceptive (i.e. synthetic estrogen excess), one cohort study does not find association:
The effect of sex hormones on bone metabolism of the otic capsule--an overview. - PubMed - NCBI “No evidence of any adverse effect of oral contraceptives on ear disease was detected.”

But other research is suggestive:
The effect of sex hormones on bone metabolism of the otic capsule--an overview. - PubMed - NCBI
“ Long-term estrogen treatment in guinea pig results in hyperprolactinemia and has been shown to lead to hearing loss as well as bone dysmorphology of the otic capsule.”
“…oral contraception treatment and hormone replacement therapies, involving estrogen together with progestin, increases the risk of otosclerosis and vestibular disorders. Hyperprolactinemia associated with pregnancy and lactation might also underlie the association of increased risk of otosclerosis with multiple pregnancies.”

Experimental estrogen-induced hyperprolactinemia results in bone-related hearing loss in the guinea pig. - PubMed - NCBI
“…otic capsule and hair cell pathology associated with estrogen-induced prolonged hyperprolactinemia and suggest that conditions such as pregnancy, anti-psychotic drug treatment, aging, and/or stress might lead to similar ear dysfunctions.”

So, prolactin lowering strategies may be one possibility.
That's probably a good strategy any way.
Not a lot on hearing loss has been well reviewed in light of metabolism. I posted some studies showing niacinamide and methylene blue being protective of noise induced loss.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Haidut, are you aware of any connection between nitric oxide and tinnitus?

Well, I am sure it is correlated especially in cases of intestinal irritation.

REOSIRENS

S
There have been very few studies in successful treatments of tinnitus. Taurine and phospholipids are the two most commonly discussed OTC remedies that have some evidence behind them. This study adds magnesium as another possible option. More importantly it implicates the NMDA receptor as pathogenic in this condition and suggests that other NMDA antagonists would work as well. Some of the more popular ones include the brain drugs like memantine, bromantane and amantadine. These treatments aside, I think keeping the intestine from getting irritated may provide the most direct benefit.

Saturation of long-term potentiation in the dorsal cochlear nucleus and its pharmacological reversal in an experimental model of tinnitus
Magnesium could offer fresh hope to tinnitus sufferers
"...This intervention is successful, but by the time the temporary hearing loss disappears, the signal boost has been stored as a “memory” in the dorsal cochlear nucleus, a memory which is not easily forgotten. The consequences of this scenario is tinnitus, a false signal generation which is perceived in the absence of an external stimulus. In brief, we have shown that tinnitus is a state of continuous painful learning. We showed that tinnitus sets in at a specific sound frequency, after the experience of loud sound exposure. Better yet, we showed that a high magnesium diet can prevent the dorsal cochlear nucleus from turning the dials all the way up and locking this in place as a memory. With that intervention, we were able to prevent the subsequent perception of tinnitus.
Spot on! I know someone who got better with magnesium/Progesterone combo

cjm

From the article: "In brief, we have shown that tinnitus is a state of continuous painful learning."

Holy f*ck that describes what I've been going through my entire life.

Magnoil has been a game-changer for me through 2-3 weeks of regular supplementation. Some days I take a veritable bath in it, other days just a few drops on the wrist, but the effects are immediate and unmistakable. Warmth and relaxation yes, but brain noise coming down big time.

smith

What if it's caused by a fungal infection or a foreign body that produces an electro-sensitive substance like manganese oxide which turns the brain into a sort of radio antenna that constantly picks up whatever waves are passing through one's environment?

rei

I have slight tinnitus that seems to be made worse by inflammation. Hard to digest carbs and alcohol are the most obvious troublemakers while fasting helps tremendously, if not temporarily cures it. Hard to believe it would be result from some damage, but instead it is like an inner sense for high blood pressure/inflammation.

Terma

I had tinnitus for over half a year due to drug and it was essentially cured, but I don't know what helped it because I took a hundred supplements desperately during that time, including: high dose Mg citrate/malate, Zinc gluconate, Taurine, Glycine, NAC, B12...

It is suspected the most effective treatment currently may be a combination of NMDA antagonism and GABA agonism:
Local NMDA Receptor Blockade Attenuates Chronic Tinnitus and Associated Brain Activity in an Animal Model
In support of this hypothesis, both direct [6] and indirect evidence [7], [8], [9] indicates that gamma amino-butyric acid (GABA) mediated inhibition is decreased in the long term following exposure to damaging acoustic events.
[...]
Acamprosate, a mixed NMDA antagonist and GABA-A agonist, is widely used to treat alcohol dependence. Two published clinical studies report that acamprosate significantly reduced tinnitus levels. Azevedo and Figueiredo [35], in a placebo-controlled trial, noted that acamprosate (333 mg/day), over 90 days, reduced tinnitus by approximately 4 points on a 10 point rating scale.

This partly explains Taurine as it can affect all these pathways in high enough doses (Glycine is less appropriate, in my opinion).

And so it suggests Allopregnanolone deficiency could contribute.

Another little-known fact to sufferers:
The characteristics of cognitive impairment in subjective chronic tinnitus
This study reveals that tinnitus patients on the severe end of the spectrum may be at risk for serious cognitive deficits, which may not be a secondary response to disease manifestations but a primary feature of the underlying disease.
Which again often happens in people with low Allopregnanolone.