Magnesium As Possible Treatment For Tinnitus

Terma

connection between nitric oxide and tinnitus?

NMDA activation mechanisms directly trigger and are tightly linked to nNOS activation; in fact, some of the process is inseparable.

Separately, iNOS activation (from microglia/macrophages, including but not limited to gut issues) worsens and in a sense causes by itself NMDA-related excitotoxicity significantly: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1046/j.1471-4159.2002.00973.x

However, that last link could mislead you; nNOS importantly has a role in the cascade of NMDA activation that produces tinnitus, in a way that may make it more relevant than iNOS [and I should note, as this quote says near the end, even separately from NMDA activation!]:
Modulating Central Gain in Tinnitus: Changes in Nitric Oxide Synthase in the Ventral Cochlear Nucleus
To confirm that changes in NOS expression could be attributed to the neuronal form (nNOS), and were not due to alterations in inducible NOS (iNOS), endothelial NOS (eNOS), or an additional sub-type found in mitochondria [see Ref. (20)], we also performed immunohistochemical staining with an antibody specific to nNOS.
[...]
NO, produced post-synaptically by nNOS, acts as a retrograde neuromodulator at pre-synaptic sites to regulate plasticity in the brain and can contribute to either long-term potentiation or long-term depression, depending on local neural circuitry (5357). A number of studies indicate that NO can also act post-synaptically to modulate long-term potentiation (58, 59). NO generation by nNOS is calcium-dependent, and is commonly associated with calcium influx via NMDA receptor-mediated ion channels. However, a study of the mouse VCN demonstrated high levels of a splice variant of nNOS that is not associated with NMDA receptors and may be associated with a different activation mechanism (60)

Beware: Contrary to popular belief, Arginine depletion is not necessarily a good thing:
Depletion of Arginine by Recombinant Arginine Deiminase Induces nNOS-Activated Neurotoxicity in Neuroblastoma Cells
Glial-derived arginine, the nitric oxide precursor, protects neurons from NMDA-induced excitotoxicity. - PubMed - NCBI
Excitotoxic neuronal cell death is characterized by an overactivation of glutamate receptors, in particular of the NMDA subtype, and the stimulation of the neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS), which catalyses the formation of nitric oxide (NO) from l-arginine (L-Arg). At low L-Arg concentrations, nNOS generates NO and superoxide (O2(.)(-)), favouring the production of the toxin peroxynitrite (ONOO-). Here we report that NMDA application for five minutes in the absence of added L-Arg induces neuronal cell death, and that the presence of L-Arg during NMDA application prevents cell loss by blocking O2(.)(-) and ONOO- formation and by inhibiting mitochondrial depolarization. Because L-Arg is transferred from glial cells to neurons upon activation of glial glutamate receptors, we hypothesized that glial cells play an important modulator role in excitotoxicity by releasing L-Arg. Indeed, as we further show, glial-derived L-Arg inhibits NMDA-induced toxic radical formation, mitochondrial dysfunction and cell death. Glial cells thus may protect neurons from excitotoxicity by supplying L-Arg. This potential neuroprotective mechanism may lead to an alternative approach for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases involving excitotoxic processes, such as ischemia.

Additionally, nNOS produces Hydrogen Peroxide in significant amounts, which becomes dominant in Arginine deficiency:
Neuronal nitric oxide synthase-derived hydrogen peroxide is a major endothelium-dependent relaxing factor. - PubMed - NCBI
The generation of free radicals by nitric oxide synthase. - PubMed - NCBI
While the generation of nitric oxide (NO*) depends solely on the binding of L-arginine, NOS produces superoxide (O(2)*(-)) and hydrogen peroxide (H(2)O(2)) when the concentration of the substrate is low.

In addition, Arginine deficiency can lead to susceptibility to [ear] infections [which associate with development of tinnitus], e.g.:
https://www.nature.com/articles/pr2...ted&code=0f24db01-60a6-4229-8a73-bb5c80f1470e

What this means is, some of the NO inhibitors (notably Arginine depletion + Lysine supplementation) promoted on this forum could potentially worsen tinnitus unexpectedly - what you would really want is a selective nNOS inhibitor, or an NOS inhibitor with only moderate effect on iNOS (and little to no effect on eNOS).

Terma

Here is something particularly damning:
Neuronal nitric oxide synthase expression in the cochlear nucleus in a salicylate model of tinnitus. - PubMed - NCBI
Although a number of studies suggest that the development of tinnitus is associated with hyperactive neuronal discharges in the brainstem cochlear nucleus (CN), there is relatively little evidence to indicate the neurochemical basis of this phenomenon. While some studies suggest that it may be partly due to a decrease in GABAergic inhibition, it is also possible that increased excitability is a contributing factor. In the current study, we investigated whether the salicylate animal model of tinnitus is associated with changes in the number of CN neurons expressing neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS), one of the NOS isoforms that results in the production of the neurotransmitter, nitric oxide. We used a behavioral conditioning paradigm to confirm that animals receiving salicylate injections experienced tinnitus, and used immunohistochemistry with stereology to quantify the number of nNOS-expressing neurons in the dorsal and ventral CN (DCN and VCN, respectively) in salicylate- and vehicle control-treated animals. We also employed Western blotting to quantify the amount of nNOS protein expression in the total CN (i.e., the DCN and VCN together). We found a significant increase (of approximately 70%) in the number of nNOS-expressing principal neurons in the VCN of salicylate-treated animals compared to controls, with no significant differences in the DCN; nor did we find any significant difference in the overall level of nNOS protein in the total CN using Western blotting. These results suggest that changes in the number of neurons in the VCN expressing nNOS may be implicated in the mechanisms of tinnitus.

Be careful with aspirin.

jzeno

@cjm

"Magnoil has been a game-changer for me through 2-3 weeks of regular supplementation. Some days I take a veritable bath in it, other days just a few drops on the wrist, but the effects are immediate and unmistakable. Warmth and relaxation yes, but brain noise coming down big time."

Mind going into detail here? I suffer from a very high pitched ringing in my ear and I have some MagnOil on the way and would like to do whatever it is that helps you.

Dose size, location, frequency?

Thanks

cjm

@cjm

"Magnoil has been a game-changer for me through 2-3 weeks of regular supplementation. Some days I take a veritable bath in it, other days just a few drops on the wrist, but the effects are immediate and unmistakable. Warmth and relaxation yes, but brain noise coming down big time."

Mind going into detail here? I suffer from a very high pitched ringing in my ear and I have some MagnOil on the way and would like to do whatever it is that helps you.

Dose size, location, frequency?

Thanks
jzeno, I still use Magnoil but infrequently and not necessarily specifically any longer for tinnitus. I applied it haphazardly, dose and frequency were erratic, ranging from a couple drops behind the ears and across my brow ridge every once in a while to using an entire bottle within days over my scalp, neck, and shoulders -- but if I were you I might try rubbing it along the path of the large intestine, or anywhere in your midsection that is stiff or lumpy. Everything I've read about tinnitus points to irritation of the intestines.

Makrosky

jzeno, I still use Magnoil but infrequently and not necessarily specifically any longer for tinnitus. I applied it haphazardly, dose and frequency were erratic, ranging from a couple drops behind the ears and across my brow ridge every once in a while to using an entire bottle within days over my scalp, neck, and shoulders -- but if I were you I might try rubbing it along the path of the large intestine, or anywhere in your midsection that is stiff or lumpy. Everything I've read about tinnitus points to irritation of the intestines.
Maybe it was the DMSO ?

If you put "dmso tinnitus" in google there's people using it and apparently having success with.

ShotTrue

Taurine is noted for its use in tinnitus
I wonder if tinniutus is soft tissue calcification of the ear

jzeno

@cjm
@Makrosky

Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware of either of the information you guys shared. I'll keep that in mind going forward.

Thanks again.

Blue Water

Tympanosclerosis (calcification of the eardrum) and otosclerosis (calcification of the ossicular chain) can cause hearing loss but aren't caused by noise exposure. Otosclerosis commonly occurs in pregnant women. These would be conductive losses where a noise induced loss is called a sensorineural loss.
Do you know what causes it or how to decalcify it? I have some scar tissue only in my right ear drum. My doctor thinks it is due to repeated ear infections, which I tend to get.

Daniel North

Forum Supporter
we showed that a high magnesium diet can prevent the dorsal cochlear nucleus from turning the dials all the way up and locking this in place as a memory. With that intervention, we were able to prevent the subsequent perception of tinnitus.
Yes, and potassium deficiency may also be a cause of tinnitus. It was for me. Magnesium and potassium deficiency are the two minerals responsible for cramps. Which is interesting.
Tinnitus
I got a heavy resonance a couple of days ago in my right ear. This was one of the symptoms when i developed tinnitus a couple of years ago. This time though i had potassium bicarbonate ready. So i took 1 gram about every 2 hours, and after 6 grams, it was gone.

Kyle970

I think you are right about potassium helping. I find some anti inflammatories help and others exasperate. I find getting my body temp up high via sauna or bath really helpful for this. For me it is organ/intestinal related and zero to do with any noise exposure which seems more common.

peter88

I think you are right about potassium helping. I find some anti inflammatories help and others exasperate. I find getting my body temp up high via sauna or bath really helpful for this. For me it is organ/intestinal related and zero to do with any noise exposure which seems more common.
Definitely intestinal for me. Repeated ingestion of starch, especially grains, makes me develop a vibration buzzing in my left ear.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals