Magnesium And Thyroid Function

reality

Whenever I take magnesium it makes me sleep worse and some what energised/wired. I’ve read this a fairly common occurred and after reading this quote from peat (below) it’s made me think that magnesium is exposing a thyroid deficiency because the increase in magnesium is not being utilised properly thus causing negative effects, perhaps from disturbing the balance of other electrolyte in the blood?

PEAT: It's very common for pre-puberty people to have leg pains that they call growing pains, and those people are typically a little bit low thyroid, and the textbooks used to show little kids with horribly swollen calf muscles that looked like they were muscle bound; but it was the accumulation of muco-polysaccharides swelling the muscle up causing great pain, cramping and so on, and in old people who are hypothyroid, something very similar happens, but it includes degeneration of the blood vessels to some extent, and you mentioned the chelation plus magnesium.

When you take thyroid, it energizes your cells to make ATP, and it happens that ATP binds magnesium, so you don't really take up magnesium into the cell very efficiently unless you have adequate thyroid. And when you are low in thyroid, you tend to lose magnesium during stress, and chronically that leads to a crampy, inefficient condition where you waste oxygen, producing your energy, but you can't retain it because of the lack of magnesium.

So in many situations, magnesium imitates thyroid function, but the two together really are simply energizing the tissue; and you can go from crampy legs, or many old people get "jumpy legs" -- a funny sensation that makes their legs kick when they try to go to sleep -- you can go from that hyperactivity of the legs to many other conditions including heart rhythm problems, insomnia, muscle pains in general, many states that are considered degenerative diseases, but are simply low thyroid/low magnesium states that prevent efficient energy production.

Frankdee20

Magnesium is a tricky mineral and supplement but please ask any question you have because I’ve been taking it the last three years .... there’s so much damn information and instructions with this mineral

Frankdee20

If you take too much at once it can keep you awake but if you take the right amount it is a godsend

Frankdee20

It’s an NMDA blocker but not as strong as zinc and it can effect 5ht1a.... it can lower acetylcholine and it can effect your tummy but realistically, who can get 400 mg from food alone ? You need good thyroid and ATP function to hold onto it

Frankdee20

Overall it is one of the absolute best minerals and is responsible for over 200 enzymatic reactions in the body ...

Frankdee20

Potassium deficiency muscle issues almost resemble magnesium

Frankdee20

Potatoes and bananas are great for potassium but almonds black beans halibut and buckwheat supply magnesium

baccheion

Magnesium also keeps me awake. I'm not more energized, though. Maybe even fatigued. Annoying.

Recoen

Constance Martin in her Endocrine textbook discusses how too much extracellular Mg blocks insulin release from beta cells. It also blocks other hormone release. K and Mg are supposed to be intracellular. If your cells aren’t structured correctly (low ATP/CO2) Na comes in for K, less Ca is brought out with CO2, etc.
Many seem to need B1, which helps to restore K, then Mg. Elliot Overton has a pretty recent video about Mg and B1

Last edited:

Peatogenic

What's the route? I do magnesium flakes in bathwater (all varied amounts) and feel very relaxed afterwards. I've never tried oral..

somuch4food

What's the route? I do magnesium flakes in bathwater (all varied amounts) and feel very relaxed afterwards. I've never tried oral..

If you feel relaxed I think you're good. From time to time, I do get wired doing magnesium baths. If you ever have that feeling, it's time for a break. That's all.

I would only look into it if magnesium always make you wired.

Frankdee20

If you feel relaxed I think you're good. From time to time, I do get wired doing magnesium baths. If you ever have that feeling, it's time for a break. That's all.

I would only look into it if magnesium always make you wired.

You’re correct, too much magnesium at once in the beginning would make me feel irritable and wired ..... these days, I can take 500 mg at once and up to a gram per day

Energizer

I tried supplementing magnesium, including oxide in pill form and by making magnesia water (milk of magnesia + carbonated water). Well, in addition to being visited by the brown fairy at times it also gave me a weird tremor, admittedly I over did it (which is easy to do with magnesium), but now I just try to get magnesium in dark roast.

alywest

Bag breathing helps if you're having a hard time sleeping with magnesium. And I was told that B6 helps with absorption but that's just from memory, no sources, sorry. I think a good B supplement with niacinamide, b6 and folate would be good.

serling78

As usual I'm. Not really sure how to use this information :eek:

Not sure what it means in regards to my thyroid but I know from years of experimenting with magnesium that while it offers many benefits, it destroys my libido and causes shrinkage every time regardless of form.