Magical Steamed Milk At Starbucks

Lightbringer

I've been having this weird problem where I can digest Latte's and Hot chocolates from Starbucks without any issues. The moment I switch to another store like Peet's coffee, I got bloating soon after. I bought the same 2% milk brand that Starbucks uses in my area and tried drinking a heated up glass but no luck, bloating again. Has anyone observed an issue like this ? Not sure how the process of steaming milk at Starbucks can be duplicated.

I'm a gold member at starbucks currently but I fear I may soon be investing a lot more money there !

milk_lover

Maybe the coffee and chocolate provide enough magnesium that helps digest calcium better?

onioneyedox

Try gently boiling it 15 minutes, if that makes a difference. It is suggestion that is sometimes seen on forum and in ayurveda as well.

Peata

I make lattes sometimes by continuously whisking milk in pan as I heat it on stove. It gets bubbly. I pour it into cup that has instant coffee, sugar, dash of salt, sometimes a bit of cocoa powder.

i found the same thing as the OP. I couldn't tolerate milk. But a cappuccino from SB seems okay. But I've dropped them also as I think milk doesn't agree with me -- but I didn't have the gut problems with that amount of milk from SB as I had at home with plain milk. Go figure.

OP
Lightbringer

Lightbringer

I make lattes sometimes by continuously whisking milk in pan as I heat it on stove. It gets bubbly. I pour it into cup that has instant coffee, sugar, dash of salt, sometimes a bit of cocoa powder.
Have you tried a frother ? This one has decent reviews:
http://amzn.to/1PmbTXe
Now, if they only made a stand alone steamer ...

OP
Lightbringer

Lightbringer

i found the same thing as the OP. I couldn't tolerate milk. But a cappuccino from SB seems okay. But I've dropped them also as I think milk doesn't agree with me -- but I didn't have the gut problems with that amount of milk from SB as I had at home with plain milk. Go figure.
Usually milk with a meal is ok for me. But SB milk works wonders anytime !

OP
Lightbringer

Lightbringer

Try gently boiling it 15 minutes, if that makes a difference. It is suggestion that is sometimes seen on forum and in ayurveda as well.
Would boiling be relevant to raw whole milk or even pasteurized 2%? Will try it to see how it works.

onioneyedox

Would boiling be relevant to raw whole milk or even pasteurized 2%? Will try it to see how it works.
I think it cooks the proteins making them easier to digest. And of course, it is just traditional pasteurization method, as a side note. I can't digest lactose, so I'm not that familiar with if it makes any difference, just something I though after reading your post. The milk in SB is maybe kept very warm for long time.