Made A Mistake [potatoes, Endotoxin, Solanin]

biggirlkisss

I ate potatoes white ones for 2 days thinking if I cooked them in the oven a lot that would be safe. are white potatoes that bad or do they breed more endotoxin g.i inflammationet c.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
How do you feel after eating them? I felt like total crap for 3 days after eating potatoes.

J

j.

Charlie, have you tried deep frying them? According to wikipedia that's one of the most effective ways to remove solanine.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yes.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Which leads me to think it might be endotoxin related.

Swandattur

Who knows, maybe it isn't the solanine in the night shades that is ever the problem. Maybe there is something about night shade starches that creates more endotoxin.

Swandattur

Whoops! Guess there isn't any starch to speak of in tomatoes or peppers. Still, maybe the solanine and other glycoalkaloids disrupt the digestive tract causing endotoxin problems. Just a thought. How Deadly Are Nightshades? - Diagnosis:Diet This article says fried potatoes are worse for solanine and solanine can irritate the intestinal lining.

Jenn

My son HATES baked potatoes, so that may not be the best way to cook them. He seems to be more aware of what works for him than I am, more instinctual. He has always hated bananas, but ate them because they were the only source of sugar I allowed. He also can tell the difference between a forced ripened avocado (high in chitanase) and a naturally ripened avocado. He also hated milk when he wasn't utilizing it well.

Peeling gets rid of a lot of potential toxins off a potato. Potatoes are prone to fungal issues if not grown well, so organic might make a difference....like trying different brands of milk?

OP
biggirlkisss

biggirlkisss

I feel a lot better then eggs. I got the juicer im going to try how I feel i really feel I need to take much totually out. Maybe use broth for calcium.

Swandattur

Jenn, Sounds like your son might be one of those people who are super-tasters. At any rate, he must be very in tune with his dietary needs.

Combie

Potatoes for me are the number one thing where type and cooking method makes all the difference. baby new pots steamed for 40 mins - 1 hr is fine and gives me the "gut sucking in effect" i get when my gut likes what ive put in there. A standard baked potato gives me unbearable farts for at least 2-3 days

4peatssake

Swandattur said:
Aren't the genuine new potatoes the ones Peat says are the best for keto acids?
I always use russets from PEI to make homemade fries in coconut oil. YUM.

Ray Peat said:
Well cooked white potatoes, such as russets, are very nutritious, and the (cooked) juice is just something for people with extreme metabolic or digestive problems.

Swandattur

Guess I'm stuck with the potato juice due to blood sugar/ insulin problems, except I guess you need a certain type of juice extractor. :/

Mittir

4peatssake said:
Ray Peat said:
Well cooked white potatoes, such as russets, are very nutritious, and the (cooked) juice is just something for people with extreme metabolic or digestive problems.

I have seen this response in Danny Roddy's email advice page. It does not fit the way Ray Peat talked about
potato juice in his audio interviews. I have noticed RP's response varies widely by the way a question is phrased.
In Danny's page they did not add the question asked. It is hard to understand the context here.
It is also possible that Ray Peat has changed his mind on starch in recent years and that
correspondence happened before that.

Swandattur

Maybe he has altered his opinion over the years. In some things I've heard or read, he seemed to think potatoes were okay, if you really wanted to have some starch, but still not the greatest, and that the ketoacids were what you want, either extracted or from eating young potatoes (I think) .

4peatssake

Mittir said:
4peatssake said:
Ray Peat said:

I have seen this response in Danny Roddy's email advice page. It does not fit the way Ray Peat talked about
potato juice in his audio interviews. I have noticed RP's response varies widely by the way a question is phrased.
In Danny's page they did not add the question asked. It is hard to understand the context here.
It is also possible that Ray Peat has changed his mind on starch in recent years and that
correspondence happened before that.
I asked Ray Peat to clarify about potatoes and this was his reply.

Ray Peat said:
When a person has limited money for food, potatoes are a better staple than beans or oats. Starches associated with saponins, alkaloids, and other potentially pro-inflammatory things make them a less than ideal food, if you have digestion-related health problems, and if you can afford to choose. New potatoes are tastier, less starchy, and probably less likely to cause digestive irritation.

Mittir

Ray Peat wrote:When a person has limited money for food, potatoes are a better staple than beans or oats. Starches associated with saponins, alkaloids, and other potentially pro-inflammatory things make them a less than ideal food, if you have digestion-related health problems, and if you can afford to choose. New potatoes are tastier, less starchy, and probably less likely to cause digestive irritation.

I am still bit confused. There are too many ifs in the statement. Is it about digestion problem or money problem?
Would he have respond like this if potato was an expensive food?

4peatssake

Mittir said:
Ray Peat wrote:When a person has limited money for food, potatoes are a better staple than beans or oats. Starches associated with saponins, alkaloids, and other potentially pro-inflammatory things make them a less than ideal food, if you have digestion-related health problems, and if you can afford to choose. New potatoes are tastier, less starchy, and probably less likely to cause digestive irritation.

I am still bit confused. There are too many ifs in the statement. Is it about digestion problem or money problem?
Would he have respond like this if potato was an expensive food?
Good questions Mittir. To be honest, I almost have this sense that he is urging us forward here, teaching us more how to figure this out for ourselves as we study his work and apply his principles.

I presented this to him too in such a way that I characterized those of us questioning his views about the potato as students studying his work. At least that is how I view myself and well, I see you being that way too. ;)

I am reminded of the old adage of, feed a man a fish and you feed him for a day but teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Perhaps he is teaching us to fish.

My take is that potatoes are an OK source if that's all that is available to you - due to economics or other circumstances - and they can pose problems for those with digestive issues. So certainly not optimal but better options than oats and beans! And if you do eat them, eat new potatoes.

Nonetheless, I have decided to ditch the potatoes and do a no-starch experiment to see how that affects my digestion issues. :mrgreen: