Macular Degeneration in young age - pls help

Motif

Anybody has / had this? Could you give me advice what helps? I don’t want to end up blind on this eye.

Memento

This has been likely posted multiple times on the board, but it is still a good place to begin. Personally I found even wide spectrum halogen light to improve vision.

As I keep eyes closed most of the time when receiving my phototherapy, you could say I use my eyelids as a red light filter.

Last edited:

mostlylurking

Avoid fish oil (omega 3) like the plague. Avoid all polyunsaturated fats, including olive oil (1/2 teaspoon/day OK).

mostlylurking

Anybody has / had this? Could you give me advice what helps? I don’t want to end up blind on this eye.
Avoid fish oil (omega 3) like the plague. Avoid all polyunsaturated fats, including olive oil (1/2 teaspoon/day OK). Use coconut oil instead.

MitchMitchell

Make sure your tsh and free t4 aren’t high and free t3 is. That would be a good start.

OP
M

Motif

Make sure your tsh and free t4 aren’t high and free t3 is. That would be a good start.
Advices how to get there ?

observer1961

Motif, my wife has a genetic defect that prevents her from converting beta carotine to vitamin A. it will give her macular degeneration as she ages unless she takes vitamin A. of course she does! perhaps you have a couple of these mutations. If you do this is a simple fix.

OP
M

Motif

Motif, my wife has a genetic defect that prevents her from converting beta carotine to vitamin A. it will give her macular degeneration as she ages unless she takes vitamin A. of course she does! perhaps you have a couple of these mutations. If you do this is a simple fix.

Interesting! How did she find out? Does she take supplements for it, or what foods does she eat for that ?

i was taking a big dose of vitamin A years ago, but blood test didn’t show any difference from that. I don’t have low A in blood, but still strange that it made no difference

Apple

my wife has a genetic defect that prevents her from converting beta carotine to vitamin A. it will give her macular degeneration as she ages unless she takes vitamin A. of course she does! perhaps you have a couple of these mutations. If you do this is a simple fix.
What do you think of vit A toxicity (including lutein and zeaxanthin) ?
Grant Genereux's Theory Of Vitamin A Toxicity
Giving up on coffee also may help...

Last edited:

daphne134

So sorry. I'm dealing with vision loss as well. Have you been "officially" diagnosed? Are you in the US? Here in the US I find getting a diagnosis is the hardest part of being an ophthalmic patient because the field is very fragmented. I've tried many things but think I've narrowed my condition down to an inherited disorder involving the ocular nerves. I'm deep into trying to narrow it down right now but first thing, get all your basic vitamins in order, a, d, k, b's. and I am taking Methylne Blue.

mrchibbs

An easy fix. Look at the recent research on red light and macular degeneration.

Basically, a little red light exposure on your closed eye lids, 2-3 minutes everyday should arrest and reverse the course of macular degeneration pretty quickly.

OP
M

Motif

So sorry. I'm dealing with vision loss as well. Have you been "officially" diagnosed? Are you in the US? Here in the US I find getting a diagnosis is the hardest part of being an ophthalmic patient because the field is very fragmented. I've tried many things but think I've narrowed my condition down to an inherited disorder involving the ocular nerves. I'm deep into trying to narrow it down right now but first thing, get all your basic vitamins in order, a, d, k, b's. and I am taking Methylne Blue.
Germany. And yeah it’s official. Let me know in some months if it helped you pls!

OP
M

Motif

An easy fix. Look at the recent research on red light and macular degeneration.

Basically, a little red light exposure on your closed eye lids, 2-3 minutes everyday should arrest and reverse the course of macular degeneration pretty quickly.

does it need to be a special red light or will every redlight led do have a positive effect ?

mrchibbs

Richiebogie

This Coloradan ophthalmologist has found a link between MD and PUFA oils:

mrchibbs

Considering red light increases ATP in retina cells and PUFAs basically prevent proper energy production, the link is evident. But PUFAs are a driving force behind all pathologies so no surprise.

OP
M

Motif

Considering red light increases ATP in retina cells and PUFAs basically prevent proper energy production, the link is evident. But PUFAs are a driving force behind all pathologies so no surprise.

Thanks!

So it really seem to need more specific light.
i have those colour-switch lightbulbs where you can switch to red too and use the red light all the time. Too bad this seems to be not helpful

mrchibbs

Thanks!

So it really seem to need more specific light.
i have those colour-switch lightbulbs where you can switch to red too and use the red light all the time. Too bad this seems to be not helpful

It's really worth it to buy a handheld red light therapy device, Life Giving Store has some good products.