Macular Degeneration in young age - pls help

OP
M

Motif

It's really worth it to buy a handheld red light therapy device, Life Giving Store has some good products.
Ok i will try. But still , do you think those average lightbulbs have an effect ?

mrchibbs

Ok i will try. But still , do you think those average lightbulbs have an effect ?

I don't think so to be honest.

retroactive

Here are some reviews and papers on photobiomodulation (red light therapy) with macular degeneration/retinopathy

Near-Infrared Photobiomodulation in Retinal Injury and Disease - PubMed
Photobiomodulation for the treatment of retinal diseases: a review
Photobiomodulation for the treatment of retinal diseases: a review - PubMed
A DOUBLE-MASKED, RANDOMIZED, SHAM-CONTROLLED, SINGLE-CENTER STUDY WITH PHOTOBIOMODULATION FOR THE TREATMENT OF DRY AGE-RELATED MACULAR DEGENERATION - PubMed
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26427443

I believe the basic idea is to look at red light for say 3 minutes per day (check some studies). Apparently there can be a biphasic response where the response increases with dose and then decreases after a certain 'optimal dose. Dr. Michael Hamblin is a good resource for things relating to red light therapy

tankasnowgod

An easy fix. Look at the recent research on red light and macular degeneration.

Basically, a little red light exposure on your closed eye lids, 2-3 minutes everyday should arrest and reverse the course of macular degeneration pretty quickly.

I agree with this, and also, try and reduce artificial blue light. If you look at a computer monitor a lot, use f.lux, and change all your backgrounds to red (I've personally done this). Also, use darkmode on applications if possible (like twitter).

tankasnowgod

Average lightbulbs probably won't do much. Red grow lights will produce a lot more red light than average bulbs, and some of the machines that Life Giving Store and Red Light Man have throw a lot more.

I think being outside when the sun is bright is also helpful. My guess is you don't work or spend a few hours outdoors most days, right?

tankasnowgod

What do you think of vit A toxicity (including lutein and zeaxanthin) ?
Grant Genereux's Theory Of Vitamin A Toxicity
Giving up on coffee also may help...

I don't think it's common. I think Generaux misrepresents most of the studies he cites, and thinks everyone has the exact same problems he had. Some studies he mentions shows that a Vitamin A deficient diet can be useful as an intervention, but after 18 months or so, eye problems can appear (like not seeing in the dark). When those on a low Vitamin A diet increased their intake, their vision would improve, and some of the other issues that resolved when the low A diet was started did not come back (it may have curative effects for some things). If vision is an issue, increasing Vitamin A would likely be a good thing.

This thread is also worth a look, where a teenager went blind after not eating any high Vitamin A foods for years-

A lot of the Anti-A folks were trying to say his A levels were fine, but if you go through the entire thread, it was clear doctors were concerned with his low Vitamin A levels later, and was a specific cause of blindness.

OP
M

Motif

Average lightbulbs probably won't do much. Red grow lights will produce a lot more red light than average bulbs, and some of the machines that Life Giving Store and Red Light Man have throw a lot more.

I think being outside when the sun is bright is also helpful. My guess is you don't work or spend a few hours outdoors most days, right?

You are right. I don’t. I’m not out a lot at all

daphne134

Germany. And yeah it’s official. Let me know in some months if it helped you pls!

Cone-rod or rod-cone? Is there macular edema or any inflammatory or autoimmune issues involved? I'm emphasizing b6 and added ubiquitinol. And focussing on collagen and (surprisingly I know) dairy for the yummy lysine. Edit: Oh, and selenium and some iodine. Edit2: And allithiamine as well. And taurine.

Last edited:

tankasnowgod

I wouldn't use those for macular degeneration. Too much heat, and I think too bright in general. If you get an all red grow light, you could use that directly on the eyes. More beneficial light, less overall brightness. You could probably stare directly at a red grow light without issue, but I think it would be safer to close your eyes. The red will still pass through your eyelid easily, and your eyes wouldn't be overstimulated.

Plus, any money saved on the bulb will go right out the window with your first electric bill. Those things suck up a lot of power.

mrchibbs

I wouldn't use those for macular degeneration. Too much heat, and I think too bright in general. If you get an all red grow light, you could use that directly on the eyes. More beneficial light, less overall brightness. You could probably stare directly at a red grow light without issue, but I think it would be safer to close your eyes. The red will still pass through your eyelid easily, and your eyes wouldn't be overstimulated.

Plus, any money saved on the bulb will go right out the window with your first electric bill. Those things suck up a lot of power.

Second that, these red lights put out heat, which can be harmful to the retina (or other sensitive tissues like the gonads).

The specialized red light therapy devices with 670nm do not emit (much if any) heat. They're ideal for this type of treatment.

And yeah, those incandescent bulbs are super energy intensive. It's the main reason why I use them intermittently, just a few minutes at a time. I was shocked when I received my first electricity bill after getting one of those.

gaze

Second that, these red lights put out heat, which can be harmful to the retina (or other sensitive tissues like the gonads).

The specialized red light therapy devices with 670nm do not emit (much if any) heat. They're ideal for this type of treatment.

And yeah, those incandescent bulbs are super energy intensive. It's the main reason why I use them intermittently, just a few minutes at a time. I was shocked when I received my first electricity bill after getting one of those.
so what light would you reccomend for a room for all day use, if not the incandescent?

mrchibbs

so what light would you reccomend for a room for all day use, if not the incandescent?

Incandescent is best, I have one on right now. It's just that it's too expensive to leave on all day in my opinion. (the 250W that is).

It's ideal though. In a perfect world, I would have two or three of these 250W bulbs on all day. I don't know how expensive that would be.

Ray has said that intermittent exposure to bright light is almost as good as continual exposure.

I use regular bulbs (60W) from normal work and I turn on the big 250W bulb a couple times a day for 30 minute stretches.

I supplement with red light therapy as well, with short 30sec-1min sessions throughout the day.

Going outside, even in winter, is the best exposure to bright light possible. Even a cloudy day is 100x brighter than any indoor environment.

OP
M

Motif

Incandescent is best, I have one on right now. It's just that it's too expensive to leave on all day in my opinion. (the 250W that is).

It's ideal though. In a perfect world, I would have two or three of these 250W bulbs on all day. I don't know how expensive that would be.

Ray has said that intermittent exposure to bright light is almost as good as continual exposure.

I use regular bulbs (60W) from normal work and I turn on the big 250W bulb a couple times a day for 30 minute stretches.

I supplement with red light therapy as well, with short 30sec-1min sessions throughout the day.

Going outside, even in winter, is the best exposure to bright light possible. Even a cloudy day is 100x brighter than any indoor environment.

Bright white light is good? I thought warm light is best

gaze

what would be your opinion of closing eyes and staring into the sun?better or worse than staring into red light only?

mrchibbs

what would be your opinion of closing eyes and staring into the sun?better or worse than staring into red light only?

I think the sun is always best. I can't think of a more therapeutic thing than a little sunbathing under a warm sun.

artlange

Anybody has / had this? Could you give me advice what helps? I don’t want to end up blind on this eye.
I have heard that C60 helped vision in a youTube video. I have completely stopped PUFA and am full Ray Peat inspired diet. Only saturated fat. I've been taking C60 in refined coconut oil for about 3 years and after a year or so my vision seemed to improve (colors seemed to be more saturated) but that is hard to evaluate with no objective measurements. About 6 months ago had an eye exam with a retinal scan. My right eye was normal and my left eye showed a small amount of thinning of the macula. I have kept taking C60, and now that I have a measurement, I will schedule a repeat exam in about 3 months to see if there are any changes. My hope is my left eye will improve and the right eye stay the same.

retroactive

That's fair. If its too bright you can move it further away and or use it with eyes closed. I tend to like the heat.

mrchibbs

That's fair. If its too bright you can move it further away and or use it with eyes closed. I tend to like the heat.

Your retina might not like it as much.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals