Maasai people - lowest life expectancy in the whole world

In many instances wikipedia is not always good reference.
In this case the wiki article clearly shows that their lifestyle was severely altered due to outside interference after the 1935 report issued by Dr. Price:

"In the summer of 1935 Dr. Weston A. Price visited the Maasai and reported that according to Dr. Anderson from the local government hospital in Kenya most tribes were disease-free. Many had not a single tooth attacked by dental caries nor a single malformed dental arch. In particular the Maasai had a very low 0.4% of bone caries. He attributed that to their diet consisting of (in order of volume) raw milk, raw blood, raw meat and some vegetables and fruits, although in many villages they do not eat any fruit or vegetables at all. He noted that when available every growing child and every pregnant or lactating woman would receive a daily ration of raw blood.
. . .
A traditional pastoral lifestyle has become increasingly difficult due to outside influences of the modern world. Garrett Hardin's article, outlining the "tragedy of the commons", as well as Melville Herskovits' "cattle complex" helped to influence ecologists and policy makers about the harm Maasai pastoralists were causing to savannah rangelands. This concept was later proven false by anthropologists but is still deeply ingrained in the minds of ecologists and Tanzanian officials.[105] This influenced British colonial policy makers in 1951 to remove all Maasai from the Serengeti National Park and relegate them to areas in and around the Ngorongoro Conservation Area (NCA). The plan for the NCA was to put Maasai interests above all else, but this promise was never met. The spread of HIV was rampant.

Also, the Massai have been targeted for massive innoculations for too many years now. They were very beautiful, strong and healthy at one time. Dig deep for older sources in books and secreted away in archives

This is so sad.

mamakitty

My educated guess is not enough veggies (fight me). The Okinawan diet, which produces the most centenarians in the world, consists primarily of vegetables (many of which are Peatish), with the sweet potato being the main staple. Apparently having excellent, god-like poops is good for ridding the body of toxins (estrogen included).
Define god-like poops

Waynish

Reducing people to their diets is insanity not epidemiology. I've met vegans that are stronger than 99% of you - but most vegans are weak & sick, of course. Why not stop committing the sin of reducing a scenario to an aspect which is not fully causal? That will probably increase your "life expectancy..."

mamakitty

Interestingly, there is a high percentage of centenarians among Tibetans...
There are 64 centenarians in every 10 million people in China, while the ratio in Tibet is an amazing 440 centenarians to 10 million people, making it one of highest in China.
Research shows that all of the centenarians in Tibet are native Tibetans who are used to the high altitude, do physical labour and have a routine life. They are regarded as optimistic and easy-going.

Though I don't believe they grow giant , maybe the gravity is still too strong in there. In Tibet, the Khampas are known for their great height. Khampa males are on average 180 cm tall (5 ft 11 in)
The three basic and staple foods of Tibet are butter tea, barley and yak meat. Barley, being the most important crop in Tibet, is used extensively in the form of flour. The milk of a yak (A2) together with some salt and tea are churned to make butter tea.
Tibetan genes have been tweaked to cope with high altitude, resulting in higher body mass index (BMI) and a boost in the body's production of the vitamin folate.
A recent study of Tibetan villagers who live their lives at around 15,000 feet has shown that they have 10 oxygen-processing genes not commonly found in lowland populations.
View attachment 27822

There is a theory that the Tibetan Plateau is responsible for cooling the world by taking carbon dioxide out of the air and shoving it into minerals.

Where Tibetan highlanders live, the oxygen level is only about 60% of that at sea level. Since every cell in our body needs oxygen to survive, low oxygen levels pose a serious health concern for most people. At such altitudes, people whose ethnic roots trace to low-lying geographic regions are likely to experience nausea, vomiting, dizziness, high blood pressure, and worse — fluid in the lungs and swelling of the brain, which can be life-threatening. Lowlanders who live at high altitudes for long periods of time are likely to develop heart and lung disease. In addition, women from lowland backgrounds have decreased fertility at high altitudes, and the children they do have experience increased rates of infant mortality.

Yet people with roots in these areas are largely able to avoid these problems. Biologists aren't sure how they do it. When lowlanders travel to high altitudes, their bodies produce more red blood cells, which house the oxygen-carrying protein hemoglobin. However, Tibetans living at high altitudes have red blood cell levels and hemoglobin levels similar to those of lowlanders at sea level — and as a consequence of the low oxygen levels at those altitudes, Tibetans live with 10% less oxygen in their blood than most other people. Lower oxygen levels might seem like a disadvantage, yet highland women have fewer fertility problems than lowlanders living at high altitudes, have better blood flow to the uterus during pregnancy, and deliver heavier, healthier babies.1 For these reasons, biologists are convinced that there is an evolutionary explanation for Tibetans' success — that over generations of living at high altitudes, natural selection has favored traits that allow Tibetans to survive and reproduce in this extreme environment.

Also...
On returning to sea level after successful acclimatization to high altitude, the body usually has more red blood cells and greater lung expansion capability than needed. Since this provides athletes in endurance sports with a competitive advantage, the U.S. maintains an Olympic training center in the mountains of Colorado. Several other nations also train their athletes at high altitude for this reason. However, the physiological changes that result in increased fitness are short term at low altitude. In a matter of weeks, the body returns to a normal fitness level.
So, we should not move to higher altitudes, given the risks of high blood pressure and haemorrhage and death?

mamakitty

Most of these myths are likely to be exaggerations. St Germain is allegedly something called an ascended master, and to accept these myths you would be best looking into the spiritual.

From a materialist perspective this stuff makes seems unlikely, and is best dismissed as myth no different than the stories about giant frogmen or whatever the medieval people made up to pass the time. Even the billionaires die no matter what they try, if there were herbs that could cure them, they would have found them.
Exactly

changeling188

Just to clear some things up about Maasai people:

All across Africa it is common for women to shave or cut their hair short. It is not common practice among traditional Maasai women to have long hair.
The shaving of the head is a symbolic part of a larger rite of passage ritual. For women this is Emuatare and for men Eunoto.
When Maasai men graduate from warrior to junior elder, their often very long hair is shaved off and is not regrown.

The receding hairline might be the result of their bald heads being exposed to harsh sunlight. Also don't really see the need for hair in such a hot environment in the first place.

And in person Maasai people have excellent teeth and appear very healthy if you have ever seen them. They usually have excellent muscle tone and eyesight well into older age and are skilled and indefatigable hunters and bushmen. In terms of observable disease or a culture of sickness, it is almost non-existent.

In recent years too, their lifestyles have undergone some changes such as more people being encouraged to use hospitals and seek medical treatment and living in settlements as opposed to nomadically (which affects sanitation).

and the introduction of maize meal and sorghum i think.

I'm not sure if people have mentioned this but the adults at least eat stringy bark which i think would have a strong anti-bacterial or anti-parasitic affect as all across the world tree bark is reliably used to preserve meat.

Maasai people do more hunting and take more risks to ensure their survival, so even if their gut health was optimal by our standards then they would still die far younger on average. The health of one tribe could be radically different than the next based on something as simple as their proximity to bark trees.

And I don't even know how life expectancy statistics for tribal groups like the Maasai are formed accurately or reliably confirmed considering their communication is almost exclusively done through speech and not writing. Note their consent in many of the studies is done by fingerprint!

I will never understand the obsession with life expectancy in the western world, as though being afforded those extra years enhances the human experience in any meaningful or obvious way. Just seems like a dog-whistle to promote the supposed virtues of progress and civilisation, while ignoring all the problems it creates.

Extending life for years while reducing the quality of it to the degree it barely resembles humanity seems to me one of the least virtuous things we can do. Old people die in facilities with often no family, no friendship, no cognisance, no memory and no movement. Societies with higher ratios of younger to older people are overwhelmingly more social, more dynamic, more robust, more reactive and less stagnant. It should seem obvious the way is lost when vast numbers of people are either asking to be euthanised or are sympathetic to the idea of it in countries which represent the most sophisticated forms of western civilisation.

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't critically appraise their lifestyle or the health of their diet, just that you can't just look at photos of people or a loose array of statistics you find off the internet and make a meaningful assessment of how healthy they are. And it seems particularly targeted if you never balance your views with any acknowledgement of the enormous bias involved.

People like to drink milk and eat meat for their spirit, not just for their bodies. That's the whole idea of bioenergy; energy for living. It's more concerning that the data extracted from these studies is most likely used or going to be used to justify further interference in the lives of these people and feeding programmes. From that perspective, morally it's so dubious that they even conduct the research at all.

Last edited:

gd81

I wouldn't imagine they would be eating much fruit

Low ascorbate status in the Masai of Kenya​

J. D. Gatenby Davies, M.B., B.S., Janet Newson, B.A., D.Phil.
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Volume 27, Issue 3, March 1974, Pages 310–314, Low ascorbate status in the Masai of Kenya
Published:

01 March 1974
https://raypeatforum.com/community/javascript:;

ABSTRACT​

Masai on a traditional diet showed significantly lower plasma and leukocyte ascorbate levels than a comparable nonpastoral group of Bantu living on a mixed diet in the same area. Masai had lower red cell folate levels, and higher serum B12 and total protein levels. Neither scurvy nor anemia was present.

mamakitty

In my experience, being active helps to produce those types of bowel movements. Any day I just sit around a lot I tend to have less than godly poops.
Thanks! I thought as much, eh!
I’m increasing my daily physical activity for many reasons but this being one of the top reasons.

Herbie

I recently watched about 7 hours of vlog style documenting this guy living with a Maasai tribe who had no electricity or water.

They have special occasions when they kill a goat and cook and eat it mixed with medicinal tree roots. They sometimes drink blood.

They drink milk from goats and cows and drink tea and grow maize to eat.

I noticed in this series and others that alcohol in the elderly men.

View: https://youtu.be/YCiIQqJ9iGo

OliviaD

They(Maasai ) tend to have low blood pressure, their overall cholesterol levels are low, they have low incidences of cholesterol gallstones, as well as low rates of coronary artery diseases such as atherosclerosis.
How come they have such a low life expectancy ?
The average male lives to the age of 42. (45 for women)
Aren't we suppose to hear more stories about Maasai supercentenarians ?
Can we be sure about the facts (i.e. average life expectancy?) from this 'blogger'. Her writing is awful. Sorry, but I don't put confidence in sources who can't use correct grammar.

A

Adf

The biggest factor in increasing our life expectancy (in Western culture) isn't modern medicine like the Pharmafia wants people to believe. It's also not diet, since our Western diet has corrupted so much in the past few decades. No it's advancement in hygiene.

Diet is very important yes, but I believe hygiene is far more important when it comes to life expectancy.

OP
Apple

Apple

How do the maasai get adequate salt? Milk? Aajonus said that salt is toxic.
per Aajonus, craving for salt is just a sign of mineral deficiency ... lack of the dietary minerals.
Modern cows are supplemted with salt to increase milk output. Salt increases thirst; encouraging the cow to drink more water.
Maasai also obtain their salt from cows blood.
I think Aajonus was ok with salt in milk/blood since it is balanced and bound to other minerals ...

peter88

per Aajonus, craving for salt is just a sign of mineral deficiency ... lack of the dietary minerals.
Modern cows are supplemted with salt to increase milk output. Salt increases thirst; encouraging the cow to drink more water.
Maasai also obtain their salt from cows blood.
I think Aajonus was ok with salt in milk/blood since it is balanced and bound to other minerals ...
Interesting. Do you personally consume salt?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals