Lysine energy boost?

I'm.No.One

Took some lysine last night to help with a little cold sore that popped up.

Woke up this morning and feel like I'm on a hardcore stimulant, not in a good way. I'm amped up horrendously, not anxiety just like a rat on a wheel.

Can't stop the thoughts/breath is for sure not paced & I'm probably going to pull a long work day just to burn this off.

Only thing I can think is that maybe it boosted the serotonin that I've been working hard to repress?

Took .5 mg of cypro topically to try to calm myself and that didn't do anything to help.

This is the state that I haven't been in for a while since working on repressing serotonin.

(It's part of my neurodiversity that can be unpleasant if I don't keep it in check.)

I know that it does something super fancy LOL like converting fatty acids into energy but this doesn't really feel like that and I'd be shocked if the conversion was that immediate.

Anybody think this is serotonin related or something else? It's literally the only thing that I've done different.

Veritas IV

Hey OP, i don't have direct info, but i researched Lysine a few times over the past year.

I recall Lysine blocking Arginine. Arginine seems to tone down symptoms that sound similar to what you're experiencing.

Maybe you're low on Arginine? And taking Lysine made it more pronounced? I wouldn't normally link this website, but maybe it can help boost your research: L-arginine (mayo clinic link)

On a separate note, I'm still wondering about the whole calcium absorption and metabolism thing. That's a pretty core process so i wonder if it's involved here.

I took one 500mg Lysine tablet a day for a week, felt nothing, then gave the pills away to someone who wanted to try it as an anti-viral.

Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Hey OP, i don't have direct info, but i researched Lysine a few times over the past year.

I recall Lysine blocking Arginine. Arginine seems to tone down symptoms that sound similar to what you're experiencing.

Maybe you're low on Arginine? And taking Lysine made it more pronounced? I wouldn't normally link this website, but maybe it can help boost your research: L-arginine (mayo clinic link)

On a separate note, I'm still wondering about the whole calcium absorption and metabolism thing. That's a pretty core process so i wonder if it's involved here.

I took one 500mg Lysine tablet a day for a week, felt nothing, then gave the pills away to someone who wanted to try it as an anti-viral.

Hopefully someone more experienced can chime in.
Thanks for that lead I'll dive in!

I ended up taking .5 mg of cypro under my tongue & the symptoms have resolved by 1/2, really makes me think there's serotonin involved as well.

liam183

Thanks for that lead I'll dive in!

I ended up taking .5 mg of cypro under my tongue & the symptoms have resolved by 1/2, really makes me think there's serotonin involved as well.
Lysine reduces serotonin in your gut, so it should actually make you less anxious unless you have low serotonin already.

Sefton10

I've been taking 2-3g of lysine for a while and never had an issue like that.

Mossy

Woke up this morning and feel like I'm on a hardcore stimulant, not in a good way. I'm amped up horrendously, not anxiety just like a rat on a wheel.
That is crazy. Because for me it does the exact opposite.

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

Lysine reduces serotonin in your gut, so it should actually make you less anxious unless you have low serotonin already.
I see this debated & others say it actually increases serotonin. I'm not picking a side here either haha I just have seen people debate it.

But from my experience cypro rapidly took away the insane racing thoughts/rapid speech & returned my breath rate to normal which are things I had resolved prior to that dose of lysine with keeping my serotonin in check.

liam183

I see this debated & others say it actually increases serotonin. I'm not picking a side here either haha I just have seen people debate it.

But from my experience cypro rapidly took away the insane racing thoughts/rapid speech & returned my breath rate to normal which are things I had resolved prior to that dose of lysine with keeping my serotonin in check.
From my understanding it competes with tryptophan for absorption, and tryptophan increases serotonin a good bit. It's interesting that this happened though. What was your dosage and did the lysine have anything else in it?

OP
I'm.No.One

I'm.No.One

From my understanding it competes with tryptophan for absorption, and tryptophan increases serotonin a good bit. It's interesting that this happened though. What was your dosage and did the lysine have anything else in it?
It's from pure encapsulations, took 1000mg, has ascorbyl palmitate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals