Lutein-free Diet To Cure Autism

Nighteyes

LOL, I had completely forgotten I had written this. I ended up doing the same thing again :banghead: Make that 3! I need to buy some K2 though to try.
Hehe I can so relate to this. I have a few different foods that I keep reintroducing only to discover yet again how they mess me up. I wish I had kept a food journal from around 2015 onwards. Many lessons I have had to learn not just thrice but many times

dukesbobby777

I doubt that lutein is the contributing factor here. The flax seeds are not only irritating but high in PUFA. The nuts can contain prebiotics substances, digestive inhibitors, PUFA’s and irritating compounds. Pasta is high in starch and exorphins, plus most likely PUFA and if fortified, folic acid and iron particles. The bread is the same as the pasta with the added benefit of the irritation of the chia seeds, and the PUFA of the chia seeds. All of these foods are recipes for disaster on the background of a sensitive gut and/ or a dysbiotic gut. Grains, nuts and seeds really arent people food, especially the popular nuts and seeds, especially without proper preparation and especially with fortification.

If I had to guess I would say the response to all these proteins and compounds in food by autistic children is a fuction of thier disease and perhaps a perpetuator not a cause. The cause is most likely poor diet and dysbiotic bowel from said diet and perhaps lack of breast feeding leading to permeable gut and immune imbalance. Grains, beans, nuts, seed, for certain populations dairy, for certain populations starch and for every population PUFA’s, are not human foods. When you feed farm animals such as cattle, goat, sheep, horses etc grain past a certain percentage of the diet they develop bloat, acidosis, laminitis (endotoxic inflammation of the connective tissue) and eventually die unless given antibiotics. When you feed dogs and cats with grain based feeds they develop autoimmune diseases and cancers. The mismatch of the diet is the problem in my opinion with lack of breastfeeding being a contributing factor. I think that when a child isnt breast fed a dysbiotic bowel is encouraged. Then foods, often the wrong foods are introduced way too early, vaccination and antibiotics are used and overtime the childs gut is completely compromised. Not too mention the issues they may have inherited from the parents and previous generations. Then the poor diet just maintains and progressively worsens the issue by damaging the gut, encouraging a pathogenic flora and encouraging immune system exposure to different components of these foods. I’m not surprised people are reactive to all these obscure compounds in foods considering thier bodies context. I just dont see these as the main cause, merely features and perpetuators of the underlying issues i.e. lack of breast feeding and/ or not eating human food from the start.

Another point to keep in mind is almost every large mammal, atleast that I have researched (cows, great apes, whales, large carnivores like wolves) eats about 40-50% of thier calories from fat. With the whales, cattle, apes this comes from fermentation of fiber to short chain fatty acids and from carnivores this comes from a preference of eating the organs and fatty tissues over the muscle meats. When I made my diet about 40-50% fat from mostly beef tallow alot of my symptoms such as anxiety, adrenaline rushes, bloating, constipation, hairloss, loss of libido and brain fog etc. went away. I have a theory that people of the northern areas of the planet require more fat than people of the equatorial climates due to the adaptation to the decreased availabiloty of plant foods. So I would venture to guess people of european decent would be better suited with higher fat diets and less tolerant of starch while people of african decent or carribean decent would be more tolerant of starches (thier traditional starches were yams, cassava and plantain; not grain). Still overall even in the equatorial peoples I still have seen accounts of the prized place for fats in the diet. Also, as a note 40-50% fat in the diet doesnt neccesarily mean low carb, atleast in my experience, the other 30-40% of my diet is fruit juice (be careful of the juice you choose, juices like apple have a poor fructose to glucose ratio and can be high in sorbitol effectively inducing disaster pants even in people with the best of gut function. Juices like grape, orange, pineapple, pomegranate have a better ratio of glucose to fructose and dont have any sugar alcohols or FODMAPS in high quantities. Plus the antioxidant compounds in the juices are effectively antibiotics and antifungals so they can actually help to decrease bacterial utilization of the sugars, atleast in the small intestine while encouraging the more favorable bacteria in the colon). The remainder of my diet is 20% or sometimes less of protein from low PUFA, low mercury seafood and ruminant meats. If your interested I gleaned some of my perspective from these resources (I take them with a grain of salt though, theres a lot of theory and some personal opinion in them):

Bread and Other Edible Agents of Mental Disease

Meat and Nicotinamide: A Causal Role in Human Evolution, History, and Demographics

How do you eat your beef tallow? I’ve never tried it, and wondering how one would even eat it? Thanks for the video. Very interesting.

OP
S

somuch4food

I've pondered on this as well, but it doesn't add up. Blueberries, cranberries, etc are fine. Raspberries and blackberries I have to be careful about.

I'm also wondering about oxalates, but I've stopped cramming everything on one theory and try different ideas and see what works.

I think what made him worst was high fruits/vegetables low calories. He didn't have enough energy to heal. Since then, he's eating more cookies and baked goods with some fruits and vegetables. I have also upped animal products intake.
The raspberries and blackberries are still a big trigger. I'm still navigating diets trying to fit my family somewhere.
Personally found that I react to Vitamin A and D and have histamine liberating reactions to them.

What is helping me is no supplements but do intermittent fasting
Vitamin A and D are bad for me too. Supplementing with thiamin also creates histamine issues.

Hi @somuchforfood, thanks for this post. Have any updates? What's your current diet like and how are you faring?
Still navigating different diets. I'm not doing low lutein at the moment, but it still is on the tables. Others on my radar are oxalates, salicylates and histamine.

I have eliminated gluten which helped with the behavior of my older child and dairy since it causes reflux issues and restless nights in both of my children.

I am not following a Ray Peat diet anymore. I tried applesauce in the last few days and got sandy stool indicating oxalates... Pumpkin still triggers hot flashes at night.

I'm working a puzzle for myself and my children which makes it more difficult to put together.

Currently, trialing soy... I'm done with naysayers and I'm trying everything for myself. That's the only way to be sure.

OP
S

somuch4food

I also want to add that I looked up lutein content of the different foods in the diet and some don't add up. Oats and avocadoes are kind of high, yet still okayed while cherries are low and are forbidden. I'm not too sure what to make of this diet anymore. I also seem to tolerate celery well and it is highish in lutein.

Celery is low chemicals though since it is recommended on the FAILSAFE diet. That's the avenue I'm exploring, yet I can't completely dismissed that my oldest was doing great at some point with some salicylates, some gluten and some dairy... I was doing low A, low oxalates at that point...

OP
S

somuch4food

Well, soy's failing. Not very surprised, but I had to try it myself so that I don't rely only on theories.

gaze

The raspberries and blackberries are still a big trigger. I'm still navigating diets trying to fit my family somewhere.

Vitamin A and D are bad for me too. Supplementing with thiamin also creates histamine issues.

Still navigating different diets. I'm not doing low lutein at the moment, but it still is on the tables. Others on my radar are oxalates, salicylates and histamine.

I have eliminated gluten which helped with the behavior of my older child and dairy since it causes reflux issues and restless nights in both of my children.

I am not following a Ray Peat diet anymore. I tried applesauce in the last few days and got sandy stool indicating oxalates... Pumpkin still triggers hot flashes at night.

I'm working a puzzle for myself and my children which makes it more difficult to put together.

Currently, trialing soy... I'm done with naysayers and I'm trying everything for myself. That's the only way to be sure.

this may help try to sort out child behavior problems

OP
S

somuch4food

this may help try to sort out child behavior problems
Thank you. That's actually what I was trying to do, but it doesn't seem to totally work. We have issues with gluten, casein, soy and most probably thiols which eliminates most of the safe vegetables. I would be left with meat, with some banana and pears.

I'm actually now considering a glutamate connection. I will be exploring the REID diet and Nathan Hatch's cure for autism.

gaze

Thank you. That's actually what I was trying to do, but it doesn't seem to totally work. We have issues with gluten, casein, soy and most probably thiols which eliminates most of the safe vegetables. I would be left with meat, with some banana and pears.

I'm actually now considering a glutamate connection. I will be exploring the REID diet and Nathan Hatch's cure for autism.
how bought white rice, potatoes, butter, etc? what foods aggregate casein? all yogurt, cheeses, etc?

OP
S

somuch4food

how bought white rice, potatoes, butter, etc? what foods aggregate casein? all yogurt, cheeses, etc?
I forgot potatoes are allright, butter, but I'd like more variety.

Almost 2 years ago, my child was doing so good. And I got cocky and liberalised our diet and it got out of hand. I think I need to go back to what I was doing except I don't have notes of it. It was a low lutein, low oxalates diet with some wheat and some dairy I think. It wasn't perfect, but better than in the last year.

Unfortunately, I got lost in the details and researched other theories for my youngest.

OP
S

somuch4food

Yeah, he's found limited success for one client and calls it a cure for autism. I nevertheless like some of his ideas.

The REID diet is similar. It pushes a very limited diet high in veggies and tout it as a cure, but the minute you fall off the diet, regressions happen. That's not a cure, that's an active treatment.

InChristAlone

Yeah, he's found limited success for one client and calls it a cure for autism. I nevertheless like some of his ideas.

The REID diet is similar. It pushes a very limited diet high in veggies and tout it as a cure, but the minute you fall off the diet, regressions happen. That's not a cure, that's an active treatment.
How are things going?