Dismiss Notice
  7. Orange & Red Light Therapy Device - LGS1
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Cascara Sagrada Powder From Farmalabor In Italy
    CLICK HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Lutein-free Diet To Cure Autism

Discussion in 'Autism' started by somuch4food, Nov 29, 2018.

1. somuch4food

somuch4food Member

While exploring a low vitamin A diet, many were noticing problems with lutein too. After seeing that eggs are a source of lutein, I started exploring it more since my toddler is allergic to eggs (but has low antibodies according to a blood test). I stumbled upon this interesting diet: Sara's Diet - The Lutein-Free Solution

I do notice some autistic trait in my child. He is not very affective, often a bit hyperactive and seems to be in his own world. He is developing fine though. Sleep problems and gut discomfort have been a constant with him.

I do think I also have many autistic traits, but I have faired well in life. I think that is mainly because of my parents that refused to see my distinct traits as abnormalities needing medical interventions and so, I always felt accepted in my family. A part of me always felt like I was different though.

From my observations since exploring vit. A consumption, I have noticed that eating carrots, broccoli and even blackberries make me feel more nervous and make my skin more inflamed.

I will start to lower lutein in my diet and that of my child and see if I notice any differences.

2. alywest

alywest Member

That's interesting. My five year old is diagnosed autistic, although not the most severe form. Lately I have been putting about a teaspoon of magnesium carbonate in his bath and that has been keeping his bowels moving a lot better. I truly believe keeping things "moving" is key to gut health, as when he gets backed up he seems to also start having a lot of other issues (behavioral and infections that pop up.) I do think experimentation is key and I find that I like to use myself as a guinea pig as well! I know that Ray Peat discusses the carotene form of vitamin A as being problematic, especially for those with compromised metabolism and thyroid issues in particular. I have also found that really low doses of DHEA and pregnenolone and/or progesterone have helped his behavior

3. Janelle525

Janelle525 Member

Wow, thank-you for posting about this! I see spinach is one of the highest sources! I used that to make green smoothies a lot when I was pregnant with my first. And he has mnay Asperger's traits. My younger son I ate a lot of eggs and then halfway through I found Peat and started orange juice and had a huge craving for melon. That kid hated to sleep unless he was attached to the boob. And wouldn't settle easily. Still doesn't at age 6.

Let us know what else you find out.

4. OP
    somuch4food

somuch4food Member

5. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Member

6. OP
    somuch4food

somuch4food Member

No mention of supplements as it is a book mainly on the diet.

The author also stresses that the diet needs to be adjusted depending on the child's set of symptoms.

7. Elephanto

Elephanto Member

A gluten and casein-free diet has produced significantly beneficial mental effects in autistic children. Autism was first described as very similar to the state of children administered morphine. Both gluten and casein contain opioid peptides with relevant effects which Naloxone prevents. Other dietary opioid peptides include cocoa, beer, Taurine, spinach, rice albumin. This would be an avenue I would look at, as I've found it produced good results in my case. I felt noticeably autistic on a previous staple diet of quark cheese. Opioids trigger Prolactin release which in turn decreases Dopamine and elevates Serotonin, blocking the Serotonin receptors is currently a promising avenue for autism.

Another thing that may be worth considering, a theory I put together for which I'm not sure if the chain of events is accurate but at least there's a couple of hints and markers of the autistic condition :
    Ammonia/Kidney Damage From Mercury Theory Of Autism

There's a strong link between kidney's health and the mental state due to its function of detoxifying ammonia, and a correlation between kidney damage and Prolactin.

Interesting thread by the way, taking note.

8. OP
    somuch4food

somuch4food Member

That is exactly what was said of both in the book. As a self defense mechanism, the body focuses on creating opioids from the wheat and dairy ingested to reduce perceived pain.

9. Elephanto

Elephanto Member

I don't think the body creates anything, simply asborbs these functionally active opioid peptides. This defense mechanism may be present in the wheat itself, as it's been said to mask the gut-irritating properties of gluten.

A theory for greater effect in some individuals is the presence of intestinal permeability leading to increased uptake of the peptides. In the thread I shared, there are studies showing autistic kids having more permeability, more gut issues, lower serum Zinc and Glutamine levels. Both Zinc and Glutamine act as protectors of intestinal integrity. The cascade of lowered Glutamine in autism could start from hyperammonemia which is known to inhibit Glutamine Synthetase, and the root of high Ammonia levels can come from damaged kidneys as well as low Zinc itself, which has a strong negative correlation with Ammonia levels. Low Zinc -> High Ammonia and gut permeability -> low Glutamine Synthetase -> neurotoxicity from higher Glutamate and more gut permeability. Alternatively, mercury sources can start the cascade of damaged kidneys -> high Ammonia and so low Glutamine Synthetase. Then with opioid peptides -> Prolactin -> kidney damage and Serotonin -> high Ammonia and mental disturbance -> low Glutamine Synthetase.

10. OP
    somuch4food

somuch4food Member

Since reducing carotenoids (lutein and beta carotene), my toddler does not have his light diarrhea anymore. His runny nose has also stopped. Behavior is still somewhat erratic, but overall it has improved. He is still getting many carotenoids just a lot less, so that might be why.

His skin his slowly improving. I am using a cream with aloe vera and vitamin E as active ingredients.

New symptoms include strong smelling pee and hot to the touch (no fever). @Elephanto might have valid points on his ammonia link to autism. The book mentions ginger ale/carbonated water when pee has a strong ammonia smell, I haven't tested it out yet though.

As for me, I did not crash on Sunday which is a good feeling. Almost every week during the winter, I would feel the need to lay down all day on Sundays almost like I was down with a fever. I was thirsty a lot, it might have been my body trying to get rid of toxins.

My back pain reappeared on Sunday after eating a whole wheat tortilla wrap with chicken and a bit of green pepper, but I also ate a bowl of Rice Krispies with cold milk at about 10am. I am currently suspecting both cold milk and colored veggies as the main source of the pain.