Lutein and Zeaxanthin reduce psychological stress, serum cortisol

zwez

Very interesting study that found a reduction of cortisol by 60-70% from supplementing with Lutein and Zeaxanthin. Here are some interesting points the authors made.

lutein (L) supplementation produced an anxiolytic-like effect in mice exposed to constant illumination stress.
L and Z cross the blood–brain barrier and accumulate in the brain regions that maintain relatively high metabolism (e.g. frontal and occipital lobes, and hippocampus), and are therefore at higher risk for oxidative stress and inflammation.
there is preferential deposition of these powerful antioxidants / anti-inflammatories in neural tissues that maintain high metabolism and therefore concomitant oxygen tension and potential for oxidative stress and inflammation
a plausible mechanism for this finding may involve the direct antioxidant and anti-inflammatory action within specific neural tissues that ultimately leads to production of stress-related hormones.
serum carotenoid concentrations for a supplementation trial, such as the present study, tend to saturate by about 12 weeks of daily supplementation.
it could be that human beings were meant to consume significantly more foods (e.g. leafy-green vegetables) that contain these carotenoids than is currently the case.

Attachments

• F36C5AE9-C9C2-4B6B-A2E5-F410A20D9FA1.jpeg
    F36C5AE9-C9C2-4B6B-A2E5-F410A20D9FA1.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 9

sugarisgreat

Thanks for posting this.
I've thought about taking those supplements to improve my eyesight, but high cortisol is a bigger problem for me.

skuabird

Huh. I was taking a Lutein and Zeaxanthin for my eye floaters. It didn't do anything for that...at least in about a month of daily supplementation.
I may take the remainder now that I've read this.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals